The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clh_hilary
The female victims and the male rapists get a similar level of backlash in the society, but if a male adult is to come out and claim that he's been raped, no-one will take him seriously. At all.

Tbh
But It is hard to see how a straight male could get raped in an open environment
Original post by Blue_Mason
Tbh
But It is hard to see how a straight male could get raped in an open environment

See? The denial is real.
Original post by DiddyDec
Should we teach murderers not to murder as well?

Hang on, we already do that but people still get murdered, I wonder why.

I've been labelled a feminist on TSR many times, I thought I'd say that because some people on here like to believe that the rational feminist would agree with this sort of thing.

All I can say is, what a load of rubbish. But isn't it meant to be satirical?
I think it's a bit of a pisstake but people are taking it seriously.
Fair enough if this is aimed at potential rapists, but it looks to me like its aimed at people who give women tips on safety. If I tell people not to wave their phone about outside a Tube station, does that make me a mugger? Does it mean I'm condoning or accepting mugging?

Telling rapists not to rape doesn't work, they know it's wrong and they do it anyway.
Reply 84
Perhaps raising awareness on all forms of rape could be another way of reducing the statistics.
Rape isn't always violent, it isn't always a hooded figure preying on girls on their own in dark alleys, or jumping out of shadows.
If a girl tells you to stop and you do not stop, you are raping the girl.
In the culture of one night stands, once an intoxicated girl gives in to persistent harassment on a night out- maybe at the time she feels flattered at the attention. Just because the girl has consented to some sexual activities, or may have even started to engage in intercourse, doesn't give the male the right to continue until he no longer desires to do so. There is more rape going on every night than you might realise. No girl wants to accuse someone of rape because they didn't stop when she withdrew her consent- rape accusations are serious and she may not want to cause so much trouble for it. She may get called a drama queen, and be shamed for engaging in a one night stand in the first place. But she is a rape victim. It may not be as damaging as a violent rape, but rape is rape and she is still a rape victim. Rape is never okay.
See? The denial is real.

yes, as it is very rare.
I have never once seen report of a straight man getting raped in an open environment.
yes, as it is very rare.
I have never once seen report of a straight man getting raped in an open environment.

I'm not sure what an 'open environment' is.
I'm not sure what an 'open environment' is.

Open environment meaning being apart of normal civilian life.
Open environment meaning being apart of normal civilian life.

There are. Someone said it above.
Reply 89
why? do u really think men are this dumb? a minority of men might be out to rape, but I highly doubt they do so because they do not know those rules above.

this is incredibly dumb
Original post by Twinpeaks
I've been labelled a feminist on TSR many times, I thought I'd say that because some people on here like to believe that the rational feminist would agree with this sort of thing.

All I can say is, what a load of rubbish. But isn't it meant to be satirical?
I think it's a bit of a pisstake but people are taking it seriously.

It is indeed meant to be satirical but this is the internet and some people would genuinely write and believe it which is why so many of people have gotten all het up about the whole thing
Original post by zedeneye1
Criminals.

So everyone who has ever committed a crime was taught to do it by a criminal?
So basically as a girl what I got from this is all men are potential rapists and should control their urges. If I had a son I would be pissed off on his behalf right now. Men know they should not rape. Rapists still ignore it. Not all men are rapists.
I think it's supposed to mock the ineffective tips that people give women to avoid rape.,
Original post by sacca
beacause of patriachy. rape culture is endemic in our society and university campuses, look at page 3 and david cameron refusing to identify as feminist. this is why 1/5 women are raped.

So the Patriarchy causes murder? Please do tell me how.

You got a source on that 1/5?

Just jumping in here, quote is incorrect, it's actually one in five sexually assaulted in colleges in America. It doesn't include before going to university, so it's not accurate to use it as a representation of rape in society as a whole. Seeing this quote abused is irritating because it simply isn't true. Men get sexually assaulted and raped too and they were completely excluded from the study.
http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/
Reply 95
Original post by AnnekaChan173
Just jumping in here, quote is incorrect, it's actually one in five sexually assaulted in colleges in America. It doesn't include before going to university, so it's not accurate to use it as a representation of rape in society as a whole. Seeing this quote abused is irritating because it simply isn't true. Men get sexually assaulted and raped too and they were completely excluded from the study.
http://time.com/3633903/campus-rape-1-in-5-sexual-assault-setting-record-straight/

The question is, did this survey ask 'do you consider yourself a victim of rape?' or instead had questions like 'has your boyfriend ever pressurised you to have sex?'.

If it is the latter then they are telling people they have been raped who probably do not consider themselves victims.
(edited 9 years ago)
Should we teach murderers not to murder as well?

Hang on, we already do that but people still get murdered, I wonder why.

1 in 5 women are raped. Are 1 in 5 people murdered in the UK ? I don't think so.
Original post by Strawberry68
1 in 5 women are raped. Are 1 in 5 people murdered in the UK ? I don't think so.

1 in 5 women are not raped that is utter bull**** and you know it. Show me the source.
Original post by jaw1990
The question is, did this survey ask 'do you consider yourself a victim of rape?' or instead had questions like 'has your boyfriend ever pressurised you to have sex?'.

If it is the latter then they are telling people they have been raped who probably do not consider themselves victims.

"Since you began college, has anyone had sexual contact with you by using physical force or threatening to physically harm you?

and

Since you began college, has someone had sexual contact with you when you were unable to provide consent or stop what was happening because you were passed out, drugged, drunk, incapacitated, or asleep? This question asks about incidents that you are certain happened."

To be counted, they also had to be in Senior Year and said yes to one or both.
1 in 5 women are not raped that is utter bull**** and you know it. Show me the source.

Here is the source.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZfltpUhP30

I also know SEVERAL people who have gotten raped and many more who have been sexually assaulted in some way.

Latest

Trending

Trending