The Student Room Group

Gcses please help

I'm currently in yr 11, my gcse predicted grades are really high - all 9s, 8s, and 7s. however my mock exams were horrendous, I ended up with
6s in maths, english lit, chem
5 in physics
7s in bio, french, geography, tech
8 in art
I also haven't got back English language yet
(awful I know). I don't know how this has really happened as I did a lot of revision. I really need to get mainly 9s 8s and 7s in my actual exams as I want to do medicine. is it possible to get all A's and A*s in 4 months? how do I revise properly? exam technique? tips? please help
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by trumanb
I'm currently in yr 11, my gcse predicted grades are really high - all 9s, 8s, and 7s. however my mock exams were horrendous, I ended up with
5 in physics
8 in art
(awful I know). I don't know how this has really happened as I did a lot of revision. I really need to get mainly 9s 8s and 7s in my actual exams as I want to do medicine. is it possible to get all A's and A*s in 4 months? how do I revise properly? exam technique? tips? please help

You need to look at where you have lost marks in your exams and why you lost those marks, so you can use them as the basis for improving your grade. It is definitely possible if you know what you need to do in order to do better.

I find using flashcards useful (I make mine online using StudySmarter so I can't lose them) because I can tailor them to my needs and doing practise papers is also important to help learn exam technique. I would also try not to beat yourself up too much about the fact you did not do as well as you hoped in your exams, because they are only a practise for the real thing, they are not the real thing.
Original post by trumanb
5 in physics
8 in art

Honestly this isn’t bad, in my mocks i didn’t even pass them and came out with decent grades in my exams. Some ways in which you could improve your work though could be through simple short cuts.

When I was in year 11 my teacher told out class to completely forget the unnecessary quotes that we have been taught and were told to use these three quotes that could be used to answer any questions related to any theme or character for macbeth. Alongside this, for our poetry, she told us to only learn 3 key poems in detail and then the rest of the poems i would have brief information on. The idea in which is that I would walk into the exam with a good amount of knowledge but not so much I am trying to keep it in my head by reciting the quotes and who said them and what it means and what key words connote and how this could affect the reader. Instead, I sat down, and without even opening the exam paper I opens my lined planning booklet thing and wrote down EVERYTHING I knew. This way, when I begin to read extracts I’m not trying to remember the stuff I already know.

*Can I just note that planning all of your answers before you even read the whole paper is the best thing to do!*

If you are studying the same books and pies try I was studying (Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol and War and conflict poetry) please let me know and I will happily get my books out for you and post everything I have written down onto this post for you. Once you have learnt it all, try writing the answers with just the quotes you remember and the 3 key quotes.

I’d also just like to outline that what you got in your mocks are not bad grades at all. I passed none of my mocks where as all the people i was sat around did and were saying how there grades weren’t good, ect ect. It really does downgrade other people’s grades when you call a grade 7 bad. I used to get quite annoyed when people around me would complain about getting a 7 or 8 where I got a 3 or 4.
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
You need to look at where you have lost marks in your exams and why you lost those marks, so you can use them as the basis for improving your grade. It is definitely possible if you know what you need to do in order to do better.

I find using flashcards useful (I make mine online using StudySmarter so I can't lose them) because I can tailor them to my needs and doing practise papers is also important to help learn exam technique. I would also try not to beat yourself up too much about the fact you did not do as well as you hoped in your exams, because they are only a practise for the real thing, they are not the real thing.

Thank you so much!!
Reply 4
Original post by notkierantho
Honestly this isn’t bad, in my mocks i didn’t even pass them and came out with decent grades in my exams. Some ways in which you could improve your work though could be through simple short cuts.

When I was in year 11 my teacher told out class to completely forget the unnecessary quotes that we have been taught and were told to use these three quotes that could be used to answer any questions related to any theme or character for macbeth. Alongside this, for our poetry, she told us to only learn 3 key poems in detail and then the rest of the poems i would have brief information on. The idea in which is that I would walk into the exam with a good amount of knowledge but not so much I am trying to keep it in my head by reciting the quotes and who said them and what it means and what key words connote and how this could affect the reader. Instead, I sat down, and without even opening the exam paper I opens my lined planning booklet thing and wrote down EVERYTHING I knew. This way, when I begin to read extracts I’m not trying to remember the stuff I already know.

*Can I just note that planning all of your answers before you even read the whole paper is the best thing to do!*

If you are studying the same books and pies try I was studying (Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, A Christmas Carol and War and conflict poetry) please let me know and I will happily get my books out for you and post everything I have written down onto this post for you. Once you have learnt it all, try writing the answers with just the quotes you remember and the 3 key quotes.

I’d also just like to outline that what you got in your mocks are not bad grades at all. I passed none of my mocks where as all the people i was sat around did and were saying how there grades weren’t good, ect ect. It really does downgrade other people’s grades when you call a grade 7 bad. I used to get quite annoyed when people around me would complain about getting a 7 or 8 where I got a 3 or 4.

Thank you so so much!

I will definitely use these techniques as I think that I became overwhelmed with having so much to remember in English. I am studying Macbeth and An Inspector Calls as well so I would love to see what work you have for those (the other book I am studying is Jekyll + Hyde and I am studying the relationships poetry!)

Also I do not think a grade 7 is bad, I was mainly really upset with all the 6s and the 5 that I got as they were in the subjects that I love and would have liked 7s or 8s in (my friends seem to have gotten straight 8s and 9s with absolutely zero revision, making my results look bad to me in comparison, sorry!).

Quick Reply

Latest