The Student Room Group

So many plane crashes?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inexorably
By Bath Salts do you mean actual cosmetic bath salts or the term used for legal highs? :tongue:

I could have sworn it was something more dangerous hm

Tbh I didn't look into it that much lol. I just remember bath salts on all the headlines.
Original post by ChickenMadness
Tbh I didn't look into it that much lol. I just remember bath salts on all the headlines.

Aftr a quick google it appears they're legal highs :tongue:

Well probably illegal in the US now.
Plane crashes are the hip new trend. It'll die out like all the other fads though. So don't get too happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently pilot 1 got locked out the cockpit by pilot 2, freaky..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whorace
How often does this happen without media reporting?

Never
Original post by Drewski
Life is going on.

That is all.

Why not complain about how many car crashes there have been?
Many thousands more people have died that way.

Because much more planes have crashed into the ground than cars have crashed into the sky.
Original post by Laomedeia
Because much more planes have crashed into the ground than cars have crashed into the sky.

More people are killed in cars in the UK every year than are killed in planes in the whole world.

But threads like this focus on planes. Why?
Original post by Drewski
More people are killed in cars in the UK every year than are killed in planes in the whole world.

But threads like this focus on planes. Why?

Because they are utterly devastating compared to a car crash. There are also far more cars than planes, a major factor in why more people die on the road than in the sky. I read somewhere that per journey, a plane ride is more dangerous. I have my doubts on this tho based on my road experiences. Too many dullards on the road.
Speed limits need to be raised, but so do the standards of the drivers otherwise Im gonna stick to mountain biking which is also a bit risky.
Because they are utterly devastating compared to a car crash. There are also far more cars than planes, a major factor in why more people die on the road than in the sky. I read somewhere that per journey, a plane ride is more dangerous. I have my doubts on this tho based on my road experiences.

Billions of passenger miles are done by both every year. Yes there are more cars, but planes go further.

"The National Safety Council compiled an odds-of-dying table which further illustrates the relative risks of flying and driving safety. It calculated the odds of dying in a motor vehicle accident to be 1 in 98 for a lifetime. For air and space transport (including air taxis and private flights), the odds were 1 in 7,178 for a lifetime."

You are far more likely to die on the drive to the airport, than you are during your flight.
Original post by Onde
.According to safety analysts Ascend, 2014 was narrowly the safest year ever, with one fatal accident per 2.38 million flights, compared to every 1.91 million flights the year before. It must be noted that that does not include the loss of the Malaysian airliner over Ukraine, where 298 people died, which they count as a war loss rather than an accident. .

Thats stupid that is. Its a bit like not labeling the Sun as a star, and instead counting it as a giant welding arc.
You're more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport.

The last commercial plane crash due to failure of the aircraft was the Concorde crash in 2000 - I think so anyway, happy to be corrected (MH370 doesn't count).
Because they are utterly devastating compared to a car crash. There are also far more cars than planes, a major factor in why more people die on the road than in the sky. I read somewhere that per journey, a plane ride is more dangerous. I have my doubts on this tho based on my road experiences. Too many dullards on the road.
Speed limits need to be raised, but so do the standards of the drivers otherwise Im gonna stick to mountain biking which is also a bit risky.

More people have died on the roads since you left this comment than have in planes over the last year, to put it into perspective.
But planes carry more people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeetingman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then that would mean planes are even safer, given that more people have died on the roads in the last 8 hours than have on commercial airliners in the last year.
Original post by Zeetingman

Posted from TSR Mobile

Engage your brain.

What kills more: 3 places crashing with 200 on each, or 1000 cars with 3 people on each?

Yes planes carry more, but their crashes are far far rarer. You have to put things into perspective.
Yeah, but I would much rather die in a car crash (i.e. on land) than a plane crash (i.e. in air). Imagine being in a plane that is plummeting through the sky at rapid speed 😱

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You'd be surprised how many land transport crashes happen daily around the world that you'd forget airplane crash.
I know what you mean. There have been a number of very high-profile plane crashes/disappearances over the last year. I don't know whether it's down to selective reporting, but it don't ever remember plane incidents being reported with this density if at all.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
Engage your brain.

What kills more: 3 places crashing with 200 on each, or 1000 cars with 3 people on each?

Yes planes carry more, but their crashes are far far rarer. You have to put things into perspective.

Granted, but you don't think the series of high-profile plane incidents over the last year is at all weird?
It does seem like there has been more over the past couple years, but it's still much safer to travel in a plane. The amount of horrible drivers on the road is concerning. Plenty of people have a license, but are awful drivers. All pilots flying passenger jets are highly experienced and (I'd hope) pretty good at what they do. I know who I'd rather trust.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending