The Student Room Group

driving test crash

ive always wondered what would happen if someone crashes into the learner driver during their official test but not at fault,

example
[waiting in traffic que for light to turn green on route to get their results "this instance they passed but dont know yet"
then gets their rear bumped]
I’d imagine the test would be halted and they’d get a free rebooking. No idea what the official policy is though.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
I’d imagine the test would be halted and they’d get a free rebooking. No idea what the official policy is though.

awesome, abit of a bummer,
but i get it, fault would need to be proven to be not the learner.
as the test only truly finishes once they receive their pass certificate..

altho to be honest if i was an instructor as long as the vehicle still safe to be driven id give them a break and let them continue if they feel comfortable enough to do so,

as it was not their fault and they were on the track to a full pass. - but id have to feel comfortable that the impact was minor enough so inspection first..
Oh gosh that would freak me out no end! I don’t think I’d want to contribute straight away but hopefully they give u a option
Original post by tintlost
awesome, abit of a bummer,
but i get it, fault would need to be proven to be not the learner.
as the test only truly finishes once they receive their pass certificate..

altho to be honest if i was an instructor as long as the vehicle still safe to be driven id give them a break and let them continue if they feel comfortable enough to do so,

as it was not their fault and they were on the track to a full pass. - but id have to feel comfortable that the impact was minor enough so inspection first..

Are you high? :tongue: The test ends at once, an examiner is not qualified to assess vehicle damage or even liability and would be highly irresponsible to allow a learner to continue, no matter what they said. To say nothing of the fact the car almost certainly doesn't belong to you, continuing to drive it damaged might anger the owner, to put it mildly.
Reply 5
Original post by StriderHort
Are you high? :tongue: The test ends at once, an examiner is not qualified to assess vehicle damage or even liability and would be highly irresponsible to allow a learner to continue, no matter what they said. To say nothing of the fact the car almost certainly doesn't belong to you, continuing to drive it damaged might anger the owner, to put it mildly.

yeah man super high clearly, i dont even drive yet, so ive yet to learn all this thought id ask couldnt find the answer on google so i found this site <_< got my test in June,
but ill be doing the test in my car [its a adapted car] and i get what your saying but the question was not asking about the crash with exactly how fast the crash was,

so in a certain situation like its super slow it would cause such a tiny bump barely a scratch or dent, or they could be going 60mph while your going 0-5mph then yeah defo i wouldnt continue. xD but if its tiny tiny, then sure.
Reply 6

you're the one who's high lol, this happened many times infact just look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W68oXH9iEKU
Original post by MoDesignss
you're the one who's high lol, this happened many times infact just look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W68oXH9iEKU

I'm not going to sit and claim it's never happened, it prob has... but I can't help but notice the uploader of that video appears to admit insurance fraud... so I don't think I trust their professionalism much. (When they are asked if they exchanged insurance info they admitted they sorted it out between themselves, that's a nono)
Reply 8
I'm not going to sit and claim it's never happened, it prob has... but I can't help but notice the uploader of that video appears to admit insurance fraud... so I don't think I trust their professionalism much. (When they are asked if they exchanged insurance info they admitted they sorted it out between themselves, that's a nono)

sometimes its more cost effective to sort things outside of the insurance as long as a report has been made that an incident has happend to the right place but no claim is being taken from either side - this is not fraud and is only fraud when an illegal claim is made.
and scuff and scratch damage count as a legal claim, :smile:

but i watched the video too, and the guy dont say what is happening, they just said they exchanged details, this means they have the required infomation, a claim does not need to be made the moment of impact,

but doing so will reduce the changes of the courts playing to your favour should you delay it <_<
Hi, I actually asked my instructor this before my test lol

She says the test is immediately ended as it is illegal to drive on after a crash regardless of fault. If the crash is not your fault the examiner will know and sympathise with you and you will get a free test rebooking.

If the crash is your fault and there's damage that you're liable to pay for or even be charged with an offence then the examiner will make sure the situation is escalated and dealt with by the relevant authorities e.g. police and insurance companies

Hopefully this never happens to anyone so please don't stress!
Reply 10
Original post by Jaffacake1212
Hi, I actually asked my instructor this before my test lol

She says the test is immediately ended as it is illegal to drive on after a crash regardless of fault. If the crash is not your fault the examiner will know and sympathise with you and you will get a free test rebooking.

If the crash is your fault and there's damage that you're liable to pay for or even be charged with an offence then the examiner will make sure the situation is escalated and dealt with by the relevant authorities e.g. police and insurance companies

Hopefully this never happens to anyone so please don't stress!

cool, i guess this is some testers, but not all, O_O
Original post by tintlost
sometimes its more cost effective to sort things outside of the insurance as long as a report has been made that an incident has happend to the right place but no claim is being taken from either side - this is not fraud and is only fraud when an illegal claim is made.
and scuff and scratch damage count as a legal claim, :smile:

but i watched the video too, and the guy dont say what is happening, they just said they exchanged details, this means they have the required infomation, a claim does not need to be made the moment of impact,

but doing so will reduce the changes of the courts playing to your favour should you delay it <_<

Yea you can agree to settle damages privately as long as insurer informed, but the i9mpression I got was they weren't? Is there a bit later in the video where they explai?, as I didn't watch all of it.. But in the comments they were asked "Did u not get their insurance details" but replied "We actually sorted all out privately"... surely the correct answer is 'Yes' not 'Actually something else' :tongue:

I was arguing it would be fraud to be involved in the accident and not inform the insurer, claim or not. And to inform the insurer you are obv supposed to have the other drivers details. If they've said later in the vid the did that fair enough, but that comment just made it sound dodgy, and I'm still deffo not convinced tests should continue after an collision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending