The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Overview of LSE Halls from an LSE student

Alright everyone, I'm a first year at LSE and I'm in Carr-Saunders Hall at the moment (and will be next year as one of your events officers if you decide to come here) and i thought i'd do a quick overview of the halls so you dont have to go off just rumours:

Carr-Saunders - one of the cheapest (alongside Rosebery) , and also the smallest hall. This has meant that i know nearly everyone in my halls especially because we have one meal a day together and also by far the best common room (PS4, table tennis table, big TV, Pool Table, and soon table football aswell.) About 50m from Tottenham Court Road - Warren Street tube station, 24hr Tesco, big Sainsburys, Mcdonalds, KFC, Burger King, Subway, Wasabi, Itsu, all within 5 minute walk.

Passfield - although they're supposedly our enemies, along with us they seem to have a good social life. They're one of the smallest too and i think this really impacts how easily youll manage to find like-minded people. As a warning though, IF YOU APPLY TO PASSFIELD, YOU WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY BE SHARING A ROOM, if this isnt an issue for you then i would genuinely recommend it as a hall. In a reasonably good location near Euston too.

Rosebery - Prices change every year but this was the cheapest hall for my year anyway. (remember to take into account the cost of a meal though) Seems to be a very social hall aswell, however friends seem to based on what floor you are on because it is a bigger hall. near a few of the better clubs like XOYO and Fabric.

High Holborn - if you can afford to go to High Holborn, youll have by far the nicest room, and the best location in terms of going to uni. There'll always be a few exceptions but it seems to have a pretty poor social life - depends what you want from your first year experience if you should consider it.

Bankside - a perk of bankside is that you can easily get a room with an en-suite. And there might be the most people, however its quite a lonely place - theres several smaller common rooms as opposed to one larger one, and as such it seems to be more difficult to make friends there. Again there'll be exceptions to this but alongside High Holborn, they do have the highest dropout rates, just saying!

Theres also some inter-collegiate halls but if youre considering one cause you want mates from other unis, they tend to stay quite cliquey between unis.

One important thing that you should remember wherever you are thinking of applying is that you can get pretty much anywhere in London very easily:

Tube is £2.20 / £2.60 depending where youre going ( also you can get 1/3 off with a railcard ) runs til about 12:30am every day

Night buses can get you back from basically any club for £1.50, and theyre good fun.

You can say I'm just being biased about it but I absolutely love Carr-Saunders and would recommend it to you if you are looking for a CHEAP SINGLE ROOM WITH A GOOD SOCIAL LIFE.

Ill try and reply to anyone if they have questions :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im the other events officer at Saunders. If youre looking for a smaller, sociable hall, then Carr Saunders (or P*ssfield) are really good options. We have about 150 people, which means that theres a really nice community feel about the place. Its easy to get to know each other and within the first few weeks you can get to know most peoples faces. We nearly always go out together in large groups, or do other stuff together like playing 5 a side at a nearby pitch. A group of us as committee will be living there next year helping to make it a really good year.

Another perk is that we are really nearby loads of UCL halls, meaning that you can get to use their facilities and go to their parties.

Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by jamgriff

Another perk is that we are really nearby loads of UCL halls, meaning that you can get to use their facilities and go to their parties.

Again, if you have any questions feel free to ask

How would we get to use their facilities?

And is it imperative that I apply for a place at CS right now? It seems perfect for me but I'm not sure on firming LSE yet.
Reply 3
University of London means that LSE students can use UCL library, as well as the ULU gym and UCL student bars. Can be helpful as they are only a 5 minute walk from us.

Probably best to apply for the accommodation now. You can always refuse the offer if you dont firm LSE but it would be hard to get good accommodation later.
Hello all, I'm Carr Saunders Vice President, so I work with the two events officers who commented above to help ensure you have a great time, and I can assure you that you'll love life if you decide to join Saunders. Smallest hall but we have by far the most fun. Win pretty much every competition we participate in, not to mention we're the reigning champions in the 'battle of the halls'. We've got a fantastic common room, with two tvs, a ps4, pool table, table tennis, two vending machines, and soon to be a foosball table, darts board and a load of
Beanbags. More than anything, as the smallest hall it is such a friendly and integrated atmosphere where you will know pretty much everyone in your hall and it's not just the standard small talk - 'hey how you doing? Going into uni today? Dinner sucked last night, right? - etc etc when you walk past people in the corridors. Not to mention the biggest plus... The best halls committee in LSE (no bias).
Not that it matters now as I have already accepted a room elsewhere, but if Carr Saunders only offers 30 week contracts doesn't that mean that you have to clear out your room entirely at Christmas & Easter? Doesn't that apply for all 30 week rooms?
Hey,
I would really appreciate, if someone could do the same for postgrad halls.
Reply 7
What makes you say that you'll almost certainly be sharing a room at Passfield? From what I can see on the website there are about 120 shared rooms (double or twin), but also around 100 single rooms.

It is also all undergraduate isn't it? So there is no priority for postgraduates when it comes to getting a single room.
Reply 8
Original post by jamgriff
University of London means that LSE students can use UCL library, as well as the ULU gym and UCL student bars. Can be helpful as they are only a 5 minute walk from us.

Probably best to apply for the accommodation now. You can always refuse the offer if you dont firm LSE but it would be hard to get good accommodation later.

Can Passfield LSE students also use the UCL Library. Do we need to just show our Student ID. I noticed the UCL Library is 194 metres(google) from passfield so it could be useful on the weekends. Is there only one library or several.

How much is the monthly/weekly fee for the ULU Gym
Reply 9
Hello,

I have a single room at my first choice carr saunders. I was just wondering as to whether it is worth getting a bike or if you can just walk to university. Also, how long does it take to walk to university?

Secondly, how often do you go out during a normal week? I live in marbella, spain and go out quite regularly, so I was wondering what the social life at Carr saunders is like (I chose it because it was said to be the best) :colone:

Finally, a good friend of mine also got a single at Carr saunders. Can we request to be on the same floor? And are people social in general or is the atmosphere cliquey?

Thanks a lot in advance and hopefully see you in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JamjamjamT
Not that it matters now as I have already accepted a room elsewhere, but if Carr Saunders only offers 30 week contracts doesn't that mean that you have to clear out your room entirely at Christmas & Easter? Doesn't that apply for all 30 week rooms?

90 out of 150 people this year at carr-saunders have 40 week contracts so unless thats changing for your year then i dont know. but yeah you have to move your stuff out (and some of it to 40 week people's rooms)
Original post by inclop4.5
Hello,

I have a single room at my first choice carr saunders. I was just wondering as to whether it is worth getting a bike or if you can just walk to university. Also, how long does it take to walk to university?

Secondly, how often do you go out during a normal week? I live in marbella, spain and go out quite regularly, so I was wondering what the social life at Carr saunders is like (I chose it because it was said to be the best) :colone:

Finally, a good friend of mine also got a single at Carr saunders. Can we request to be on the same floor? And are people social in general or is the atmosphere cliquey?

Thanks a lot in advance and hopefully see you in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I walk to uni every day, about 25 mins each way, but just put headphones in, or there'll almost always be someone else wanting to walk in at the same time as you.

You can't request a certain floor, but if you applied for the same contract length (either 31 or 40) then there's a good chance you'll be on the same floor anyway. But to be honest, the hall is small enough that its not a problem if you're a bit away from him/her.

There's obviously some people who don't go out, but those that do, I'd say 2/3 times a week, any more than that, and you'll just be spending too much to be honest.
Original post by Jimm1y
What makes you say that you'll almost certainly be sharing a room at Passfield? From what I can see on the website there are about 120 shared rooms (double or twin), but also around 100 single rooms.

It is also all undergraduate isn't it? So there is no priority for postgraduates when it comes to getting a single room.

The capacity of the halls is only about 220, and i don't know the actual number of each room type, but there are definitely more double rooms than singles, which means that the vast majority of people live in double rooms
Reply 13
How is it feel like to share a bathroom with like 5other people in carr-saunders? (if i have not mistaken it has no en-suite right?)
I looked up the LSE website and it says there are 96single rooms in Passfield so why is it almost certain you have to share a room?
I am definitely interested in Carr-saunders but Rosebury seems like a decent choice as well but do you have any idea if undergraduate tends to choose the 30/38 weeks contract length areas in Rosebury? Apologies for asking so many questions but I just can't make my mind up about the accomodation:s-smilie:
Original post by Aso816
How is it feel like to share a bathroom with like 5other people in carr-saunders? (if i have not mistaken it has no en-suite right?)
I looked up the LSE website and it says there are 96single rooms in Passfield so why is it almost certain you have to share a room?
I am definitely interested in Carr-saunders but Rosebury seems like a decent choice as well but do you have any idea if undergraduate tends to choose the 30/38 weeks contract length areas in Rosebury? Apologies for asking so many questions but I just can't make my mind up about the accomodation:s-smilie:

Within a few weeks you'll be completely used to sharing toilets and showers. You have a sink in your room so you're not using communal facilities that much really.

Ah okay you might be right about the single rooms at passfield, but that's still the majority of people in doubles so I'm just saying there's a good chance you might have to.

Really not sure about rosebery contract lengths to be honest, sorry.
Reply 15
Is high holborn really that bad on the social front? Any overwhelming reason why?
Reply 16
I want to ask, is there any benefits of becoming one of the committee for the hall ? Hoping to become one ~ haha
Reply 17
Hope all LSE halls has wifi connection
Original post by Audi
Is high holborn really that bad on the social front? Any overwhelming reason why?

As a general rule of thumb, the more expensive the accommodation, the worse the night life. Quick to reiterate that that is a very general rule. Just because it's prodominantly richer overseas students and generally speaking they don't go out as much. I would try and speak to someone in High Holborn if you can though!
Original post by ffteddy
I want to ask, is there any benefits of becoming one of the committee for the hall ? Hoping to become one ~ haha

One perk (and probably the main perk) is that you get to be in halls for another year, and although a house would be fun, you have to pay for all 52 weeks of the year in a house, whereas you can get a 30/31 week contract in halls, saving you/your parents roughly £4000-£5000! And as with anything, guess it's something to put on a cv too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending