The Student Room Group

If you could change one thing in the education system, what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karmacrunch
For some reason I knew it would you two who quoted me. :mmm:

Tough nuts. :ahee:

Spoiler

Why? (: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I knew you would know I quoted you :redface:

Nah cuz you might end up learning a boring language like German or Welsh. Only cool languages should be learnt and you should get the option to choose which one you want to learn.
Changing the highest grade attainable to A**
This is a long shot, but make class sizes smaller. All the way through primary and secondary school. Having a relationship with your teacher is something I've always found really important. Can't stand it when they barely give you the time of day as individuals.
I'd make it law that all teachers have to get high on helium before giving out instructions.
For some reason I knew it would you two who quoted me. :mmm:

Tough nuts. :ahee:

Spoiler

Why? (: :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cos I always hated languages :tongue:
Original post by ChickenMadness
I knew you would know I quoted you :redface:

Nah cuz you might end up learning a boring language like German or Welsh. Only cool languages should be learnt and you should get the option to choose which one you want to learn.

Why? :eyeball: because you quote me a lot? :tongue:

That's why I said, "a second language". :tongue: They'd be able to learn any language(s) they wanted. :h: Which languages do you define as... cool? :curious:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why? :eyeball: because you quote me a lot? :tongue:

That's why I said, "a second language". :tongue: They'd be able to learn any language(s) they wanted. :h: Which languages do you define as... cool? :curious:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because I'm psychic. :tinkywinky:

There wouldn't be enough qualified teachers around to teach children any language they wanted though, which is why it sux.

Spoiler

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Cos I always hated languages :tongue:

Nooooo!! :eek:

Why? :tongue: I don't you'd object to learning one when you about 4 though. :mmm:
Because I'm psychic. :tinkywinky:

There wouldn't be enough qualified teachers around to teach children any language they wanted though, which is why it sux.

Spoiler

... because you stalk me. :colonhash:

I know... :frown::frown::frown: Or at least one language, like French. It could be taught the same way as English. I guess I'm being hopeful though. :tongue: :redface:

Spoiler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
ban faith schools
Nooooo!! :eek:

Why? :tongue: I don't you'd object to learning one when you about 4 though. :mmm:

I may be talking rubbish he but isn't it better that you are still mastering English at that point? It's more important that you are learning to read,write and basic numeracy at that point I would have thought?

Plus it would required for a primary school teacher to be as qualified as a secondary school language teacher?
Original post by Mr...
:mmm:^^^

I've already called him out on that. Dw. :colonhash:
:mmm:

I may be talking rubbish he but isn't it better that you are still mastering English at that point? It's more important that you are learning to read,write and basic numeracy at that point I would have thought?

Plus it would required for a primary school teacher to be as qualified as a secondary school language teacher?

So many European schools start teaching children English before they leave Y2. Why can't we? :tongue: + There are so many children who learn their second language from their parent as they grow up. A lot of them don't get confused and still speak/write and know basic numeracy. :redface: Wait. How would it affect numeracy? It's a language. :tongue:

Yep. Or they could look into getting qualifications for primary school language teachers. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've already called him out on that. Dw. :colonhash:
:mmm:

So many European schools start teaching children English before they leave Y2. Why can't we? :tongue: + There are so many children who learn their second language from their parent as they grow up. A lot of them don't get confused and still speak/write and know basic numeracy. :redface: Wait. How would it affect numeracy? It's a language. :tongue:

Yep. Or they could look into getting qualifications for primary school language teachers. :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I did say i may be talking rubbish :tongue: But the whole world speaks English which means we can afford to be lazy :colonhash:

I mean it is more important a child can read and write in english and be numerate. Compared to a second language being more a bonus (albeit a useful bonus)

But meh, thank **** the days of me learning another language are over. I was terrible at it and it is sooooooooo boring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
I
When I read his comment I was just like "he had to say German :facepalm:"

Ikr. :rofl: I can't remember if I told him the subjects I took. :tongue:

Even still... German isn't boring. :unimpressed:

Well I did say i may be talking rubbish :tongue: But the whole world speaks English which means we can afford to be lazy :colonhash:

I mean it is more important a child can read and write in english and be numerate. Compared to a second language being more a bonus (albeit a useful bonus)

But meh, thank **** the days of me learning another language are over. I was terrible at it and it is sooooooooo boring.

You're not though, your point makes sense. :tongue: and if one day we decide that we want to work in another country? Are we going to force everyone else to speak English? :mmm:

I guess so but I think that a second language should become a... 'compulsory bonus'. :tongue:

Not necessarily. You can always pick one up later or even now. :colone: I disagree. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I would introduce a compulsory 30 minute session of physical exercise a day. I would also make the restrictions on what school canteens offer as 'food' much more strict (I still have nightmares about that stuff)
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd eradicate the Free Schools program, almost all of them are set up by proselytising religious pseudo-charities with unqualified teachers. The only things they are free from are accountability and education.
Increase university tuition fees and cap the amount of people that go
Posted from TSR Mobile
Ikr. :rofl: I can't remember if I told him the subjects I took. :tongue:

Even still... German isn't boring. :unimpressed:

You're not though, your point makes sense. :tongue: and if one day we decide that we want to work in another country? Are we going to force everyone else to speak English? :mmm:

I guess so but I think that a second language should become a... 'compulsory bonus'. :tongue:

Not necessarily. You can always pick one up later or even now. :colone: I disagree. :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well most countries already have a large proportion of their population that can speak english. You can even go to Scandinavian universities where they have courses taught in english. Plus this country has a fine history of rampant imperialism and world domination. So lots of places speak english, language of science is english, all international pilots need to speak english... I could go on :tongue:

If I am going to master a language I would rather devote my energies to a language that is universal throughout the universe, maths. :colonhash: I can talk to aliens. Can you? :aetsch:
(edited 9 years ago)
Better learning conditions for people with handicaps! braille for the blind and sign languages for the deaf in lessons to name two examples, so these people are able to graduate in A-levels. These has to be developed in the future. People with handicaps have a right to learn as well!
Reply 38
If it had to be one thing, it would have to be a properly implemented tripartite system (perhaps with some inspiration from the German system). Unfortunately, that's basically a pipe dream given the views of the teaching profession (at least as it is represented by their unions)...

Also, why is it that German always seems to be looked on negatively compared to Spanish? Why is Spanish so popular?

Nah cuz you might end up learning a boring language like German or Welsh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pwyll
If it had to be one thing, it would have to be a properly implemented tripartite system (perhaps with some inspiration from the German system). Unfortunately, that's basically a pipe dream given the views of the teaching profession (at least as it is represented by their unions)...

Also, why is it that German always seems to looked on negatively compared to Spanish? Why is Spanish so popular?

Because it's not a sexy sounding language lmao.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending