The Student Room Group

Equality Act 2010 does not protect disabled students enough

Disability discrimination is illegal but not criminal, it is thus rampant in academia and thousands upon thousands of disabled students across the country have suffered from mistreatment by toxic ableist professors with little to no help. Not every disabled student has the money to sue a university over disability discrimination, much less those who killed themselves because of it. Toxic ableist professors, who are skilful at passing off illegal biases as "academic judgements" and/or protected by tenure, are literally subject to no checks on their behaviour due to the inadequacy of the Equality Act 2010 and societal tolerance of intellectual abuse of academic freedom.

As such, there must be the following changes to the Equality Act 2010 to root out disability discrimination in academia:

1. Criminalisation of disability discrimination
2. Expansion of legal power of Ombudsman to prosecute persons or entities that commit or condone disability discrimination
3. Increase in government funding to Ombudsman for setting up additional task forces to specifically handle student disability discrimination complaints
4. Inclusion of student representation in investigations of student disability discrimination complaints to ensure fairness, e.g. if student A files a serious disability discrimination complaint against university A, members of the respective student union should be invited to participate in the investigation and the ruling process
5. All "academic judgements" must be made challengeable to stop toxic ableist professors' abuse of such generic concept to pass off illegal biases and ruin the lives of disabled students

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I think you're going way, way too far. (And yes, I've read your other threads...)
Original post by ageshallnot
I think you're going way, way too far. (And yes, I've read your other threads...)

And on that note .....

"All "academic judgements" must be made challengeable to stop toxic ableist professors' abuse of such generic concept to pass off illegal biases and ruin the lives of disabled students"

I have yet to see a specific example of what the OP actually means by discrimination from their multiple posts, e.g. “ordinary” students A, B and C were allowed to do X, but student D with (specific disability Y) was not.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Wednesday
And on that note .....

"All "academic judgements" must be made challengeable to stop toxic ableist professors' abuse of such generic concept to pass off illegal biases and ruin the lives of disabled students"

I have yet to see a specific example of what the OP actually means by discrimination from their multiple posts, e.g. “ordinary” students A, B and C were allowed to do X, but student D with (specific disability Y) was not.

Because you choose to deny it? I hope not.
Original post by Anonymous
Because you choose to deny it? I hope not.

Please provide an example specific enough for others to understand what you mean "discrimination" and "ableist professors' abuse".
Reply 5
The worst discrimination is already criminalised via hate crime legislation. I don't think any of this really offers any answers and it puts unnecessary pressure onto existing infrastructure to readdress an issue which is largely covered elsewhere.
Reply 6
'Academic judgement' is not vague or generic at all. You can see its constitution in the uni regulations and in the Higher Education Act 2004.
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
'Academic judgement' is not vague or generic at all. You can see its constitution in the uni regulations and in the Higher Education Act 2004.

No, it is not in practice when it comes to individual professors.
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
I think this is a troll thread.

The continued use of the term "professors" gives it away. It makes no sense in a British context.

Do "professors" not exist in the UK?

We tend to call them lecturers
Reply 10

Yes, but it is an academic rank and not a blanket term for teaching staff.
Being a disabled student myself fortunately I've not experienced any discrimation by lectures (I'm fully aware that this happens)
The disability service is amazing and provides any accommodations that they can
Any time I've not understood something that the lecture has said in comments or haven't understood why I haven't got the mark they are able to explain it in a reasonable way
You don't need to challenge everything the lecturer does in my case I can struggle to understand the language they use and they are happy to explain it
Reply 12
Being a disabled student myself fortunately I've not experienced any discrimation by lectures (I'm fully aware that this happens)
The disability service is amazing and provides any accommodations that they can
Any time I've not understood something that the lecture has said in comments or haven't understood why I haven't got the mark they are able to explain it in a reasonable way
You don't need to challenge everything the lecturer does in my case I can struggle to understand the language they use and they are happy to explain it

I am afraid because you are lucky enough not to be mistreated?
I am afraid because you are lucky enough not to be mistreated?

I said in the previous post that I'm aware that some disabled students can face discrimination from staff
All I'm saying is that
a) there are many decent members of staff that treat disabled students with the equality that they deserve
b) that there are sometimes miscommunications or misunderstanding which once clarified solves the problem

Also you aren't giving any examples of situations where they could be challenged when they can't be etc etc

Also I've had an EHCP during education and have had teachers not follow it or not take it seriously so I do understand the problems with discrimination at school
Reply 14
I said in the previous post that I'm aware that some disabled students can face discrimination from staff
All I'm saying is that
a) there are many decent members of staff that treat disabled students with the equality that they deserve
b) that there are sometimes miscommunications or misunderstanding which once clarified solves the problem

Also you aren't giving any examples of situations where they could be challenged when they can't be etc etc

Also I've had an EHCP during education and have had teachers not follow it or not take it seriously so I do understand the problems with discrimination at school

No, it is not some - it is many. Particularly at PG level in lab settings. I guess you need to do some search rather than be a denialist.
Nice to see this thread go in the same direction as the other one.
No, it is not some - it is many. Particularly at PG level in lab settings. I guess you need to do some search rather than be a denialist.

I'm not a PG but I do have lots of labs and for me I've been able to find accommodations, if this is you specifically is it a physical disability or a neurodiverse condition (I'm autistic)
Original post by Admit-One
Nice to see this thread go in the same direction as the other one.

"Other oneS"
Original post by ageshallnot

Just wondering do you have a link to the other thread because they've posted anomolsyl you can't see their previous threads
To be honest I found university to be the most disability tolerant stage of my life.

I am writing this from the perspective of mental health, perhaps physical disability is different. However University is probably the place where you will receive the most support with your condition than anywhere else. Once you enter the working world there are things like occupational health and HR (if your company is big enough, in small companies this isn't always the case) but honestly the truth is if you can't do the work then they won't offer you the job and you can't keep the job. Obviously there is legislation that prevents discrimination to some extent and you have the right to ask for reasonable adjustments but unfortunately with things like interviews they could easily reject you for a disability and just blame it on something else.

Charities like scope offer employment advice and there are inclusive employer job search sites such as 'Evenbreak' but there's still a long way to go.

With regard to university have you applied for DSA? If you have DSA you can request a mentor who will fight your corner with tutors and help you plan and manage your work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending