The Student Room Group

If you could change one thing in the education system, what would it be?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pwyll
Also, why is it that German always seems to looked on negatively compared to Spanish? Why is Spanish so popular?

I don't know. :frown: I much preferred German to Spanish when I had to pick another language. :h:
Original post by ChickenMadness
Because it's not a sexy sounding language lmao.

Deutsch klingt wunderbar. :colone:

Spoiler

Original post by Pwyll
(...)
Also, why is it that German always seems to looked on negatively compared to Spanish? Why is Spanish so popular?

The German language in terms of the grammar is more complex and more complicated for the majority of English-native-speakers. Many of them have problems with it. I know whereof I speak, as I have helped so many German learners yet.
Original post by karmacrunch
I don't know. :frown: I much preferred German to Spanish when I had to pick another language. :h:

Spoiler

Ich heisse Daniel und ich bin zweiundzwanzig Jahre alt.

Did I do good?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Did I do good?

Ja!! :ahee:

Did you use Google Translate though? :mmm: Or was it from your own knowledge? :holmes:
Ja!! :ahee:

Did you use Google Translate though? :mmm: Or was it from your own knowledge? :holmes:

I got a C in german GCSE. :u:

To all those dissing german... It is by far an easier language to learn if you like logical rules that are actaully followed. Unlike fecking French. If you are the sort of person that is better at maths and science and are forced into learning a language German is gonna be much easier for you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by XMaramena
I would put more emphasis on entrepreneurial mindsets rather than workforce mindsets when discussing careers, and also have classes with NLP and Life Coaching as an option for all students in secondary school to help with studying effectively, not just adequately. I would cap classes at 28 for PE, 20 for Core Subjects and 10 for artistic subjects, where more individual guidance is needed, not just answers in a book. This would include English Language, Art, Music, Photography, Media etc.

I would also restructure the current A level syllabus into a more modular form - similar to the credits-based system of universities where students can choose their specialities in the subject based on what they want to achieve later on in life.

For example, if someone wants to become a surgeon, then there's no need to go messing about with irrelevant biome case studies in biology.

That's pseudocience. We don't need it in the curriculum. Btw, I agree with putting more emphasis on the entrepreneurial spirit. A kid from Manchester was forced by the head to shut down his business. :/ Ridiculous!
Original post by Pwyll
If it had to be one thing, it would have to be a properly implemented tripartite system (perhaps with some inspiration from the German system). Unfortunately, that's basically a pipe dream given the views of the teaching profession (at least as it is represented by their unions)...

Spanish is more important globally. If the UK is leaving the EU, getting more Spanish is going to be more important as most Germans speak English anyway. Plus Merkel won't be doing many businesses with UK if it leaves.
Plus Spanish is said to be easier, there are popular songs to be listened in Spanish (are there any in German) and a very different set of cultures to know. The Guardian has an article on this.

Exotic > Familiar
Same Exam boards for everyone taking GCSEs and Alevels. Retakes and remarks should be free too.

Did I do good?

Hallo Daniel. Sie eine Jungfrau sind und Karma weiß es. keine Notwendigkeit, mit ihr zu flirten . Sie ist nicht einzeln.

:smile:

A* quality, right?

Right? :frown:

Did I do good?

I might believe that you are a German, if I don't know that you are an English-native-speaker. :wink:

Original post by Juichiro
Hallo Daniel. Sie ist eine Jungfrau und Karma weiß es. Keine Notwendigkeit, mit ihr zu flirten . Sie ist nicht allein.

A* quality, right?

Some mistakes, but its okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 50

Spoiler

Zugestimmt! Leider konnte ich nicht A-Level German studieren und deswegen habe ich viele Wörter meinen Wortschatz vergessen.

Original post by Kallisto
The German language in terms of the grammar is more complex and more complicated for the majority of English-native-speakers. Many of them have problems with it. I know whereof I speak, as I have helped so many German learners yet.

Speaking of which I recall many of my classmates had great difficulties getting past the case system, even in years 10 or 11. Never really understand why though, as there are far more complicated features of German grammar than simply recognising what is the subject, object, and declining the noun accordingly. Having said that, I never could remember the adjectival endings, etc.
Reply 51
Original post by Malooka
E.g. replacing one subject with another, delaying the school starting age, etc.

Having gone to two state schools and a private school I can tell you from my experience the class sizes in state schools are absolutely ridiculous..
Reply 52
- have free tuition for courses of national/global importance
- graduates pay less tax or pay less for products as an incentive to study
- at the secondary level, have english, a foreign language, science,philosophy, and social studies as the only core subjects. PE should be mandatory, but an option for those at GCSE level.
Reintroduce grammar schools
I got a C in german GCSE. :u:

To all those dissing german... It is by far an easier language to learn if you like logical rules that are actaully followed. Unlike fecking French. If you are the sort of person that is better at maths and science and are forced into learning a language German is gonna be much easier for you.

Well done! :woo:

Exactly! Once you learn the rules and the expections it's not bad at all! :tongue:

Original post by Juichiro
Hallo Daniel. Sie eine Jungfrau sind und Karma weiß es. keine Notwendigkeit, mit ihr zu flirten . Sie ist nicht einzeln.

A* quality, right?

Excuse me? :lolwut:
Original post by Pwyll
Zugestimmt! Leider konnte ich nicht A-Level German studieren und deswegen habe ich viele Wörter meinen Wortschatz vergessen.

"Agreed! Unfortunately, I could not study A-Level German and that's why I've forgotten lots of words..." I'm not sure what 'Wortschatz' means. Vocabulary? :tongue:

That is unlucky. Why not? :frown: :redface: I'm guessing you did it for GCSE though? :h:

Original post by StrangeBanana
Reintroduce grammar schools

We still have grammar schools? :confused: Wasn't there a law or legislation or something that said that no more should be made? :tongue:

Or am I completely wrong? XD
Reply 55

"Agreed! Unfortunately, I could not study A-Level German and that's why I've forgotten lots of words..." I'm not sure what 'Wortschatz' means. Vocabulary? :tongue:

That is unlucky. Why not? :frown: :redface: I'm guessing you did it for GCSE though? :h:

That's essentially what I was saying. I was driving at 'much of my vocabulary' or something.
Wortschatz is indeed vocabulary. I dropped it after GCSE because my sixth-form college didn't offer A-Level German.

We still have grammar schools? :confused: Wasn't there a law or legislation or something that said that no more should be made? :tongue:

Or am I completely wrong? XD

No, you're exactly right. The law prevents the creation of new grammar schools, and although many of the old ones were converted or closed, some counties (such as Lincolnshire or Kent) still retain a few of them.
i would make it madatory to start preparing students for gcse from yeear 7 including giving them past papers
i agree about not retaking
that makes sense especially if they are circumstances you can't control such as a medical issue
Secondary education.
Or abolish stupid university entry requirements.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending