The Student Room Group

WJEC Biology Help

Hello. I was wondering if anyone else takes AS Biology with WJEC. I find the content enjoyable and interesting, I have got my head around most of the concepts.

However I am struggling to answer the exam questions well. I usually put things down that are correct but either aren't on the mark scheme or I have not used the correct phrasing to gain the marks. I find the mark schemes for BY1 and BY2 so tedious and picky and it's difficult to see what phrasing they want from the original question. Also I have found the ten markers a nightmare, and I usually score 4/10 or 5/10 where I should be doing better. I just can't find a good strategy to attack those questions so I have stuck with bullet points. I find that the topic they choose is so broad e.g. "describe the functions and structure of lipids and carbohydrates in organisms" yet they only have about 14 acceptable points on the mark schemes.

I have been fumbling around the C/B borderline in tests and I would really like to get an A. Has anyone got any advice on how to approach the papers and boost my grade, especially the 10 marker? :smile:
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by Hoops14
Hello. I was wondering if anyone else takes AS Biology with WJEC. I find the content enjoyable and interesting, I have got my head around most of the concepts.

However I am struggling to answer the exam questions well. I usually put things down that are correct but either aren't on the mark scheme or I have not used the correct phrasing to gain the marks. I find the mark schemes for BY1 and BY2 so tedious and picky and it's difficult to see what phrasing they want from the original question. Also I have found the ten markers a nightmare, and I usually score 4/10 or 5/10 where I should be doing better. I just can't find a good strategy to attack those questions so I have stuck with bullet points. I find that the topic they choose is so broad e.g. "describe the functions and structure of lipids and carbohydrates in organisms" yet they only have about 14 acceptable points on the mark schemes.

I have been fumbling around the C/B borderline in tests and I would really like to get an A. Has anyone got any advice on how to approach the papers and boost my grade, especially the 10 marker? :smile:

hi, i'm also studying by1 and by2, have you got any good notes and resources? Thanks
Reply 3
Not really, I've just been doing past papers. Although I would say that the student unit guides weren't that useful to me and I definitely prefer the Gareth Rowlands student book, it's a bit more expensive but it covers everything in a very good manner.

Quick Reply

Latest