The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The Durham College Allocation Thread (for 2015 entry)

Scroll to see replies

And does anyone know if Durham Cathedral is part of a college or open to everyone?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by oliviamalona
And does anyone know if Durham Cathedral is part of a college or open to everyone?

It's extremely close to University College, but it's not a part of it, I don't think, and it's open to everyone.
Thanks for your help! Hopefully I'm nearing the end of my questions...about general life on campus, are students allowed onto other colleges? For instance if I chose St. Cuthbert's, would I be allowed to use the bar in castle or go to the celebrations held in castle, or are the facilities and activities strictly for those in that college.

Sorry if these are silly questions, we don't really have the college system in the US so it's very new to me.

Hi. Generally you can use the facilities of other colleges as a guest, if the event is not restricted to that college. So typically you could attend formal dinners at another college but someone would have to invite you. Typically the college bars are open to all every night but on the odd occasion they might be restricted to members of that college.

The Cathedral is not part of the university and is open to all
Original post by cuthsalumni
Hi. Generally you can use the facilities of other colleges as a guest, if the event is not restricted to that college. So typically you could attend formal dinners at another college but someone would have to invite you. Typically the college bars are open to all every night but on the odd occasion they might be restricted to members of that college.

Thank you, that's super helpful. Can I assume that you were in St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of putting that as my first choice. Do they do a lot of activities as a college? Would you recommend it?
Thank you, that's super helpful. Can I assume that you were in St. Cuthbert? I am thinking of putting that as my first choice. Do they do a lot of activities as a college? Would you recommend it?

Chad's rules!
Original post by game well and truly over
Chad's rules!

Haha, thank you for the advice. I liked how small St. Chad's was but I'm really hoping for ensuite and I couldn't find much information on the St. Chad's pg accommodation besides that it's only 56% ensuite, which makes me nervous. I do love that they seem to have a lot of activities!
Original post by game well and truly over
Chad's rules!

Definitely, it was absolutely amazing! Did you go to the open day? :smile:
No, I'm from the US, I won't have an opportunity to visit campus at all. I'm going totally off what I can find online.
Original post by Sapphire321
Definitely, it was absolutely amazing! Did you go to the open day? :smile:

Yes I did... I loved it!
Original post by trubadur
:five:Very pleased,too as CUTH's was the college I applied for:smile:
We still have time to decide, for the moment I am mostly considering catered for the first year(lazy girl:wink:).In this case Bailey should be the best solution.

I went to Durham a few months ago and fell in love with it! I do think I will be on Parsons field though, I like cooking for myself :smile: How is the revision going?
Original post by Lauraalice.
I went to Durham a few months ago and fell in love with it! I do think I will be on Parsons field though, I like cooking for myself :smile: How is the revision going?

Never been to Durham, but I felt it should be better than StAndrews, Edinburgh, Nott or York:smile:
For the first year, I guess I would prefer catered.
Things are on their good way, waiting for the final exams:wink:
Good luck and see you in autumn
As DURHAM fans, please give your support in "The Russell group hurt/heal game" thread.
We need your daily votes to place Durham
Thanks and congrats
Hello! So I was allocated to Van Mildert a little over a month ago. I was extremely disappointed. It was not one of my selections, And the more I research it, the facilities look extremely shabby and the only activities they have revolve around arts and music which I'm not interested in at all. I've tried to be positive, people say you learn to love your college, but I am taking this whole year out in loans and will never have an opportunity like this again and really wanted to make the most of it. In the last month I've seen many people getting into saint aidens or st cuths and I wonder if there's ANYTHING I can do. Do the other colleges have any kind of waiting list? Was there a reason I wasnt selected?
Hello! So I was allocated to Van Mildert a little over a month ago. I was extremely disappointed. It was not one of my selections, And the more I research it, the facilities look extremely shabby and the only activities they have revolve around arts and music which I'm not interested in at all. I've tried to be positive, people say you learn to love your college, but I am taking this whole year out in loans and will never have an opportunity like this again and really wanted to make the most of it. In the last month I've seen many people getting into saint aidens or st cuths and I wonder if there's ANYTHING I can do. Do the other colleges have any kind of waiting list? Was there a reason I wasnt selected?

Hi. I am sorry that you are not happy with your college allocation.

My general understanding is this. Colleges attempt to get a mix of students. In other words, for example, they make sure that not everyone in the college is studying Biology. This means that a college could be full for some subjects whilst still accepting people for other subjects.

It is also true that some colleges are far more over-subscribed than others; in particular Castle, Chads and Hatfield. Therefore if you applied to one of those then it is less likely that you would have been allocated a place (To my knowledge Aidan's is currently the least popular-probably all those steps!)

I don't think colleges have waiting lists and generally aren't keen on playing swapsies, mainly for the reason that you highlighted which is "people by and large grow to love the college to which they are allocated".

Honestly I think you are worrying about nothing. All colleges have pros and cons and I think you are completely mistaken to think that Mildert is in any way second-best. I would use TSR to try to chat to some current Mildert students who can put your mind at rest.

Quick Reply

Latest