The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by TheRAG
Done a few past papers (although with my notes so not under exam conditions).
Need to step it up, although I have CPS (Chronic Procrastinator Syndrome).

Wondering if anyone else also has this :P

I have this. Should probably start papers properly. I've been saying I will for weeks :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 561
Does anyone have a copy of june 2014 unit 5?
Reply 563
thank you!
Reply 564
Original post by pony123
thank you!

That's okay! How's your revision going?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 565
Plz

The 1000 μF capacitor may differ by up to 20% from its stated value.For a certain unknown capacitance, CU, V0 is 6.0 V ± 0.1V and V is 2.3 V ± 0.1V.Determine the largest possible capacitance, CU.

Not sure if we give it in terms of Cu? It's the 2014 EMPA if anyone has the mark scheme?
Reply 566
Original post by Amanzz
Plz

The 1000 μF capacitor may differ by up to 20% from its stated value.For a certain unknown capacitance, CU, V0 is 6.0 V ± 0.1V and V is 2.3 V ± 0.1V.Determine the largest possible capacitance, CU.

Not sure if we give it in terms of Cu? It's the 2014 EMPA if anyone has the mark scheme?

We did this for our mock. You just calculate the actual value using what you've been given, not in terms of Cu or anything like that :smile:
Reply 567
Original post by Lau14
We did this for our mock. You just calculate the actual value using what you've been given, not in terms of Cu or anything like that :smile:

I'm sorry, perhaps I'm being a bit thick but i don't really understand. What have I been given? I assumed the capacitance was unknown. The way I did it was the percentage error in the first reading plus the percentage error in the second (approx 6%) then said it's greatest value was therefore 1.06Cu
Reply 568
Original post by Lau14

It turns out I'm stupid. I didn't see the formula :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 569
Original post by Amanzz
It turns out I'm stupid. I didn't see the formula :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ah yeah it would be pretty confusing without that :tongue:
Reply 570
Original post by Lau14
Ah yeah it would be pretty confusing without that :tongue:

I remember doing that as a mock!
what topics are you guys speculating will come up in this year's EMPA? I would guess capacitance and SHM, of course from the practicals.
Reply 572
Original post by aprocrastinator
what topics are you guys speculating will come up in this year's EMPA? I would guess capacitance and SHM, of course from the practicals.

In the written task? There's usually one question on each practical task I think, and a third question that's unrelated or very tenuously related.
Reply 573
Original post by Lau14
In the written task? There's usually one question on each practical task I think, and a third question that's unrelated or very tenuously related.

The more tenuous, the lower the boundaries hopefully hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lau14

Indeed! OK, any ideas on the type of questions that may come up? :colondollar:
June 14 papers just got released for AQA, so go grab em.
Reply 576
Original post by Protoxylic
June 14 papers just got released for AQA, so go grab em.

(Or go to the first post on this thread :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
(Or go to the first post on this thread :wink:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

....Or that lmao, didn't see hah. You could say I got too excited with the sudden influx of new papers :wink:
Reply 578
Original post by CD223
The more tenuous, the lower the boundaries hopefully hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, but also the more frustrating the exam is!

Original post by aprocrastinator
Indeed! OK, any ideas on the type of questions that may come up? :colondollar:

Looking at old past papers is pretty useful for this!

They might ask you to do calculations using the values/graph etc from task 1 or 2, but they will give you any equations you need so it's usually just a case of knowing how to use your calculator.

They can ask for details on what you did/why/how if the instructions left something up to you.

Different types of error and how it effects results/how to correct for it or reduce it. All your basic practical knowledge (control, independent, dependent variables) can be tested but usually will give very few marks. Percentage error/uncertainty might come up.

They had an unusual graph on last years paper (and as it's been said, June 14 papers are now up on the AQA site) that you had to effectively plot points and take readings from.

Explaining how something shows proportionality comes up sometimes.

Sometimes there are questions on an unusual piece of equipment/one you aren't expected to know about or have seen before and they want you to apply your knowledge.

One is usually on a different experiment, and there's limited topics to choose from this year. Thermal physics (specific heat capacity etc) is probably the easiest they can go but it did come up last year unfortunately so that's unlikely. There could be a different one on simple harmonic motion (see 2013's paper). Basically it'll be on a topic you know, but often an experiment that is hard to do in class.

They might give you data and ask you to do something with it/answer questions about it.

Overall I would definitely recommend reading old papers to see what's come up before - you almost certainly won't get the same question again but it's worth being familiar with the style and structure.
Reply 579
Original post by Protoxylic
....Or that lmao, didn't see hah. You could say I got too excited with the sudden influx of new papers :wink:

Haha! Have you had a mock on them yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending