The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by Protoxylic
So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.

I just tend to do them in order (so core then astro), I've actually never thought about it before though! I skip between the two a bit because when I go through papers the first time I leave six markers and anything I can't instantly see how to do until the second go through so that I don't waste any time.
Original post by Protoxylic
So what paper are we all planning to start first in the actual exam? I'm planning to start the option topic paper first; turning points for me.

Currently doing all questions in order and leaving the six marker for the last.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 682
Original post by simonli2575
Currently doing all questions in order and leaving the six marker for the last.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lau14
I just tend to do them in order (so core then astro), I've actually never thought about it before though! I skip between the two a bit because when I go through papers the first time I leave six markers and anything I can't instantly see how to do until the second go through so that I don't waste any time.

Do you think instead it might be worth doing both 6 markers first?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it matters to me because after I finished all the questions, I still have plenty of time left to go through all the questions.
Reply 684
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nooo. Haha. Every time I've done that I've interpreted the question wrong or spent too long on it meaning I've got no time left. Too many marks elsewhere to get rather than risking it on the 6 marker. (Especially in unit 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 685
Original post by _Caz_
Nooo. Haha. Every time I've done that I've interpreted the question wrong or spent too long on it meaning I've got no time left. Too many marks elsewhere to get rather than risking it on the 6 marker. (Especially in unit 4)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by simonli2575
I don't think it matters to me because after I finished all the questions, I still have plenty of time left to go through all the questions.

Interesting viewpoints - thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 686
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear this method a lot but it doesn't really work for me! I prefer to do things in a kind of easiest - hardest order almost (actually more like a least writing - most writing).
Reply 687
Original post by Lau14
I hear this method a lot but it doesn't really work for me! I prefer to do things in a kind of easiest - hardest order almost (actually more like a least writing - most writing).

Yeah it's not so much the difficulty as the time consumption!

Posted from TSR Mobile
any last minute tips for the EMPA? :redface:
Reply 689
Original post by aprocrastinator
any last minute tips for the EMPA? :redface:

Have you read Lau14's guide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So the physics empa went awfully!!!
So the physics empa went awfully!!!

Did anything 'unexpected' come up? Like the AS Physics if you did that.
Original post by ChemPhysMath
Did anything 'unexpected' come up? Like the AS Physics if you did that.

Anything that comes up is unexpected tbh
Reply 693
Anything that comes up is unexpected tbh

Ah I'm sure you did okay! I did mine on Tuesday.

Please don't disclose specifics to people now you've done it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I'm sure you did okay! I did mine on Tuesday.

Please don't disclose specifics to people now you've done it though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really didn't tbh!!! But I got a C last year in the empa but got just over 90% so I'm determined to get that A*
Reply 695
I really didn't tbh!!! But I got a C last year in the empa but got just over 90% so I'm determined to get that A*

Aha me too! Did you resit the AS EMPA? I chose not to as I got 273 last year anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Aha me too! Did you resit the AS EMPA? I chose not to as I got 273 last year anywayPosted from TSR Mobile

No because 1) really expensive and I was spending lots of money on remarks and getting papers back 2) really didn't want to lol 3) my Physics UMS wasn't relevant as much as my other three for my subject and it was already over 90% so not bad!

I got 271! :biggrin: looking at the ums conversions for 6X it looks pretty nice so hopefully I won't do worse than last year :s-smilie:
Reply 697
No because 1) really expensive and I was spending lots of money on remarks and getting papers back 2) really didn't want to lol 3) my Physics UMS wasn't relevant as much as my other three for my subject and it was already over 90% so not bad!

I got 271! :biggrin: looking at the ums conversions for 6X it looks pretty nice so hopefully I won't do worse than last year :s-smilie:

Is the UMS conversion for 6X better than 3X?
Original post by CD223
Is the UMS conversion for 6X better than 3X?

a little bit better, not significant but I had forgotten how good they were lol
Reply 699
a little bit better, not significant but I had forgotten how good they were lol

Ah. I got 41 UMS last year. Found out that was 1 UMS mark off of a B, and 7 UMS off of an A. 😐

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending