The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

I am really struggling with the trigonometry in core 4. Can anyone suggest any revision materials from it? And is it a big topic in the exam?
Reply 341
Original post by geeky_penguin
I am really struggling with the trigonometry in core 4. Can anyone suggest any revision materials from it? And is it a big topic in the exam?

Have you checked out some of the resources on the first post of the thread?

I use the CGP A2 Mathematics revision guide and it's great for summary questions for particular topics. Also try physicsandmathstutor for topic by topic questions - it'll allow you to do as many past paper questions for a given topic as possible.

It's always going to come up in the exam. Whether or not it is allocated a "big" number of marks is entirely dependent on the mood of the examiner :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 342
Original post by Tiwa
Yeah. I should've specified that. 😄

Ah, what was the hardest question for you? Personally the painting one I thought was tricky.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah, what was the hardest question for you? Personally the painting one I thought was tricky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The painting one was sly, just highlights the new style of papers from AQA.
Not many people realised you need the value of the first painting in 1991 too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found the trig in c4 tricky too especially the R-Alpha method. I found a great site that really helped me understand the topic.

www.mathematicsi.com/r-alpha-method/
The have step by step examples on other topics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Have you checked out some of the resources on the first post of the thread?

I use the CGP A2 Mathematics revision guide and it's great for summary questions for particular topics. Also try physicsandmathstutor for topic by topic questions - it'll allow you to do as many past paper questions for a given topic as possible.

It's always going to come up in the exam. Whether or not it is allocated a "big" number of marks is entirely dependent on the mood of the examiner :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I normally use the heinemann text book for the questions but it just confuses me in the trig topic. I will definitely take a look at the CGP book!
Original post by Waz96
I found the trig in c4 tricky too especially the R-Alpha method. I found a great site that really helped me understand the topic.

www.mathematicsi.com/r-alpha-method/
The have step by step examples on other topics too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't know about that site! It's really useful from what I have seen so far. thank you!
I didn't know about that site! It's really useful from what I have seen so far. thank you!

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi; you know the paining one? I'm not 100% sure why you add on 10 years when solving for t.... also why does it roll into 2018 beacuse it's 2017.something
Reply 349
Original post by Waz96
The painting one was sly, just highlights the new style of papers from AQA.
Not many people realised you need the value of the first painting in 1991 too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. That question caught 90% of my class out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 350
Thank you so much! I normally use the heinemann text book for the questions but it just confuses me in the trig topic. I will definitely take a look at the CGP book!

No worries! Hope it helps. Yeah I know what you mean. What specifically is it about C4 trig you find hard? Identities? Or the R alpha method etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
Original post by madmenace
Hi; you know the paining one? I'm not 100% sure why you add on 10 years when solving for t.... also why does it roll into 2018 beacuse it's 2017.something

Basically you want to know the value of time TT years after 1991 when the two paintings are of equal value.

The value of the first painting is given by V=5000ptV=5000p^t, t years after 1st April 2001.

The value of the second painting is given by W=2500qtW=2500q^t, t years after 1st April 1991.

Hence, TT years after 1991, the number of years the first painting is raised to is T10T-10, because if you think about it, it has started counting 10 years after the second painting has, meaning it always lags behind by 10 years.

This means that:
5000pT10=2500qT5000p^{T-10}=2500q^T

Rearranging from this point using logs gives the required equation.

It rolls into 20182018 because t=10ln(15)ln(5)=16.79...t=\frac{10ln(15)}{ln(5)}=16.79....

If you think about it, 16.79...16.79... years after 1st April 2001 brings you just into 20182018, as the year starts with a base case in April and not January.

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
need 86 ums to get A overall. will I do it...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 353
Original post by the_googly
need 86 ums to get A overall. will I do it...?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How have you been doing on past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me on part bii, finding coordinate of C. Since I know the length of AD, and this is the same length as BC, so I can use this. Also I know that C has coordinate in terms of mu as it lies on L2. I have used the distance formula and got a quadratic in mu and solved, to find mu as 5/7 and 1, how do I know which one to choose?? :smile: thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431263169.167911.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 355
Original post by Jimmy20002012
Can anyone help me on part bii, finding coordinate of C. Since I know the length of AD, and this is the same length as BC, so I can use this. Also I know that C has coordinate in terms of mu as it lies on L2. I have used the distance formula and got a quadratic in mu and solved, to find mu as 5/7 and 1, how do I know which one to choose?? :smile: thanks

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431263169.167911.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does the mark scheme say which is the right one to choose? I'm confused as they're both viable options.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Does the mark scheme say which is the right one to choose? I'm confused as they're both viable options.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They choose mu=5/7 but not sure why. Here is the mark scheme:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431272270.105938.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 357
Original post by Jimmy20002012
They choose mu=5/7 but not sure why. Here is the mark scheme:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431272270.105938.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because you solved for where the isocles triangle meets l2
Which means its 2 places
So you pick the one that is smaller
Otherwise you would be using the value to the right of C, where the other nonexistent side meets the line2

You choose 5/7 because its more left of B

The way I thought of it is if you sub in P=1, then you would get an X co-ordinate back that is greater than X-co-ord of B, and therefore it must be the right side of B ( as my diagram shows) but because when you sub in 5/7, you get x<-2, you must of got the right point because its to the left of B

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431275102.346725.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Because you solved for where the isocles triangle meets l2
Which means its 2 places
So you pick the one that is smaller
Otherwise you would be using the value to the right of C, where the other nonexistent side meets the line2

You choose 5/7 because its more left of B

The way I thought of it is if you sub in P=1, then you would get an X co-ordinate back that is greater than X-co-ord of B, and therefore it must be the right side of B ( as my diagram shows) but because when you sub in 5/7, you get x<-2, you must of got the right point because its to the left of B

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431275102.346725.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh right I get that now!! Thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
How have you been doing on past papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not done any yet. plan to do it in last ten days.
currently working my way through every question in the revise for pure core maths 4 heinemann book

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending