The Student Room Group

IGCSE Chemistry paper 6 alternative to practical 2015

Did anyone on here do the CIE IGCSE chemistry paper 6 today? (12/05/15) If so how did you find it and what do you expect the grade boundaries to be like???
Yes, I did!

I actually got the most stuck on identifying the round bottom flask, but I was so in control of the page on precipitates :smile: I'm really happy I did last minute revision for it though.

I'm hoping they are lowish, because the last page was confusing.
As well, what did you get for the source of error for the burette / temperature experiment?

What other exams are you taking?
How did you find it?

Mo
Original post by Morganblue68
Yes, I did!

I actually got the most stuck on identifying the round bottom flask, but I was so in control of the page on precipitates :smile: I'm really happy I did last minute revision for it though.

As well, what did you get for the source of error for the burette / temperature experiment?

How did you find it?

Mo

The last question was alright, but I completely messed up the error for the burette one. I put reading error of the thermometer because my graph line didn't go through it :frown:. Otherwise the paper was okay just some 1 mark questions that threw me a little
Yes, I did!

How did you find it?

Mo

Hi, I messed up the first page as well!

For the error In experiment 2 I put that they used the same polystyrene cup so it could have been contaminated from experiment 1, not sure if its right by sounded reasonable

On the observation table I put white precipitate for the majority of it, were any of the answers white precipitate?

Im doing Biology Chemistry and Physics CIE IGCSE
Original post by Indian Batman
The last question was alright, but I completely messed up the error for the burette one. I put reading error of the thermometer because my graph line didn't go through it :frown:. Otherwise the paper was okay just some 1 mark questions that threw me a little

Same, that question threw me a little.

Original post by lewis99taylor
Hi, I messed up the first page as well!

For the error In experiment 2 I put that they used the same polystyrene cup so it could have been contaminated from experiment 1, not sure if its right by sounded reasonable

On the observation table I put white precipitate for the majority of it, were any of the answers white precipitate?

Im doing Biology Chemistry and Physics CIE IGCSE

That's what I put, but it could have been something about leaving the thermometer to rest.. I don't know, that's what some of my friends put.

This was my best bit. (I think, or the chromatography)

Al2+ is a cation, and in Sodium Hydroxide is soluble in excess and produces a white precipitate.
Then, it gave you the options of the tests for halide ions, and sulphates. It said the mysterious cation was a cation, so trying to identify it with an anion test should produce no reaction. Then, again a white precipitate was formed.

But yes, white precipitate for the majority, what did you identify the remaining cation to be?
Same, that question threw me a little.

That's what I put, but it could have been something about leaving the thermometer to rest.. I don't know, that's what some of my friends put.

This was my best bit. (I think, or the chromatography)

Al2+ is a cation, and in Sodium Hydroxide is soluble in excess and produces a white precipitate.
Then, it gave you the options of the tests for halide ions, and sulphates. It said the mysterious cation was a cation, so trying to identify it with an anion test should produce no reaction. Then, again a white precipitate was formed.

But yes, white precipitate for the majority, what did you identify the remaining cation to be?

Okay that's good I put white precipitate and no reaction. I cannot remember what I put for the unknown cation, it was a last minute guess which I know was wrong! What about the last page the 8 marker, the first bit was it to do two different test tubes one with the catalyst and see which produced more oxygen or oxygen quicker, then the second bit was weigh the catalyst before and after to make sure it was unchanged? I can't remember the full question or answer

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found this paper so difficult!!
Reply 7
Original post by zoyayar123
I found this paper so difficult!!

yeah me too:frown:
Reply 8
what results did you get for experiment 1 and 2?
I can't remember, what were the questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
The one with acid A and acid B?

Also whats the difference using the measuring cylinder 10ml I think than the burette x_x
I think I put the reaction was endothermic, experiment 2 gave the biggest temperature change (can't remember for definite) and a burette is more accurate than a measuring cylinder, what other questions were there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

what did you identify the remaining cation to be?

I wrote something along the lines of hydrated ammonium salt but I'm not entirely sure, what did you write?
Reply 13
yeah I've got something the same in between the lines and ohhhh dammit...
Original post by tawg
I wrote something along the lines of hydrated ammonium salt but I'm not entirely sure, what did you write?

I wrote Calcium - the only cations in the syllabus which they want you to identify were Copper (ii), Iron (ii) and (iii), Calcium, Aluminium and Zinc.
Reply 15
I wrote Calcium - the only cations in the syllabus which they want you to identify were Copper (ii), Iron (ii) and (iii), Calcium, Aluminium and Zinc.

The 2015 syllabus expects you to identify Ammonium as well as those you've listed - http://www.cie.org.uk/images/128340-2015-syllabus.pdf (page 37)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending