The Student Room Group

Would I be crazy to take maths AI HL?

So I’m planning on switching to maths AI HL from AI SL because most universities who have the course I want to study (zoology/animal behaviour) require you to take HL maths (ai or aa) or physics or chemistry, as well as hl bio which I’m already doing.

I have never been great at maths, I got a c in IGCSE’s and got Es and Ds throughout year 11. I was close to B in the exam and will retake it in November to get a b or above because it’s a requirement of the course.

I do enjoy maths when I understand the topic, but I would say I never put in a the right amount of effort into it and studying for it. I’m trying to get off to a good start this year, and study from the beginning, but I worry that it won’t be enough to make it through HL maths and get a 6 in it. I don’t know it only works out for people who’ve had a good understanding of the concepts from year 10 and 11 or even before that, or if I can catch up and make it work for me? I am pretty determined to get into a good school and the course I want, and have made up my mind about it for the most part, but I would like to hear your opinions and experiences!

And would really appreciate any resources I can find which have been helpful to people doing maths ai hl
Reply 1
I personally think that you can do good in AI HL if you put in the effort, but considering you struggled with maths in IGCSE, you really need to put in a LOT of effort. A tip I'll give is thoroughly learn how to use your GDC - getting to use the GDC across ALL papers is a great advantage of AI HL. It can be your best friend & let you skip a lot of rigorous maths if you truly know how to use it!
Reply 2
Original post by jesjes750
I personally think that you can do good in AI HL if you put in the effort, but considering you struggled with maths in IGCSE, you really need to put in a LOT of effort. A tip I'll give is thoroughly learn how to use your GDC - getting to use the GDC across ALL papers is a great advantage of AI HL. It can be your best friend & let you skip a lot of rigorous maths if you truly know how to use it!

I figured it would be easier than physics or chemistry hl, which are my other two options. And I honestly love maths when I study and actually understand the concepts, so hopefully I can switch and stay committed to studying.
I just got my gdc and I’m pretty slow with it right now but I’ll have to practice like you said!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending