The Student Room Group

OCR MEI FP1 (14th May 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by YveT
Nice subject choices!
I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths, hoping for A*AA (at least) overall for Biochemistry at Oxford, but am also looking at Sheffield, Warwick and York :smile:

Nice :smile: I had an interview at Oxford, but unfortunately no offer. It was amazing.
Reply 21
Original post by SH0405
Nice :smile: I had an interview at Oxford, but unfortunately no offer. It was amazing.

That really sucks :/ I hope you get what you need for Warwick, it's an amazing university!!
Reply 22
Hi! In matrices what is the significance of a zero determinant?
Reply 23
Original post by lucye7
Hi! In matrices what is the significance of a zero determinant?

It means the matrix is singular (has no inverse) :smile:
Hi, Just a quick question:

When drawing complex numbers on an argand diagram, should you draw just a cross at the point or a line (with arrow) leading up to it from the origin??

The mark scheme usually shows just crosses but I believe the line w/arrow is the proper way?

Or does it really not matter?

Thanks.
Reply 25
Original post by tambeshakunt

When drawing complex numbers on an argand diagram, should you draw just a cross at the point or a line (with arrow) leading up to it from the origin??

The mark scheme usually shows just crosses but I believe the line w/arrow is the proper way?

Thanks.

I normally draw a line from the origin to the point (without an arrow). I'm sure they'll accept regardless of the presence of a line.
Reply 26
Original post by tambeshakunt

Thanks.

If they just ask for the point then a cross at those coordinates is correct. If they ask for the modulus of the complex number then you'd draw a line labelling it's length.
Reply 27
Original post by Bruhh
If they just ask for the point then a cross at those coordinates is correct. If they ask for the modulus of the complex number then you'd draw a line labelling it's length.

If they say modulus it will be written as mod | 2 - j | = 5 which would be a circle with radius 5 and centre 2 - j
Reply 28
Original post by gmcoote
If they say modulus it will be written as mod | 2 - j | = 5 which would be a circle with radius 5 and centre 2 - j

That would be |z-(2-j)| = 5 as the circle would represent the position where z could be, just |2-j| would be the distance from the origin to the point 2-j.
Ah ok thanks. Just that I have never seen a mark scheme where they have drawn a line with an arrow but I have learnt it that way:frown:
Can someone answer this please:

In the mark scheme after proof by induction it gives the answer as (k +1)((k +1)+1)((k +1)+ 2)(3(k +1)+1)

what if i write (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)(3k+4)

will that still get me all the marks
Reply 31
Original post by simon1207
Can someone answer this please:

In the mark scheme after proof by induction it gives the answer as (k +1)((k +1)+1)((k +1)+ 2)(3(k +1)+1)

what if i write (k+1)(k+2)(k+3)(3k+4)

will that still get me all the marks

Lol whats with the weird font? But yeah it should do as it's still technically correct. But by splitting it into (k+1) just shows you understand more what you've just done. but you should still get full marks.
Original post by Bruhh
Lol whats with the weird font? But yeah it should do as it's still technically correct. But by splitting it into (k+1) just shows you understand more what you've just done. but you should still get full marks.

Thanks
Reply 33
Could someone please explain how moduluses such as I z-4 I = 3 work? Is it just centre 4,0 with radius 3? Is there a rule i can follow to find the exact centre of the circle?
Original post by Darcy1
Could someone please explain how moduluses such as I z-4 I = 3 work? Is it just centre 4,0 with radius 3? Is there a rule i can follow to find the exact centre of the circle?

Yes you're right.

in general:

|z-(a+bj)|=r

where the centre is (a,b) and radius is r.
Reply 35
I'm taking this tomorrow as well! The only bit I'm worried I'll muck up is if they ask us to find where where two loci intersect on an argand diagram (so far so good), but then ask us to find the arg of the intersection :/ it's only come up in two past papers so I've got my fingers crossed haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did everyone find it then ?
Reply 37
Original post by simon1207
How did everyone find it then ?

Alright ish I think! Question 8 confused me a bit though :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
It was a nice paper but the question on finding k was confusing for .me
Reply 39
What did you all put for the (8 part iii)transformation matrix ( back to triangle ABC) and the area of a"b"c"( 8 part4)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending