The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physicsmaths
Expand the brackrts and take the x's to one side then factor x out and divide
Say I had (x+3)v=(x-1)u find x in terms of u,v.
Then let log2=v log6=v. Remember you can times then out as they are just numbers. PM if you need any help.

its okay, I get it now, someone explained it too me but thanks anyway, appreciate the help :smile:
Yh I thought it was pretty low since i got 70 or 71/75 and if 67 was an A which is ridiculous then I wouldve got like 90UMS and not 94 or 96 Still annoyed i dropped marks for doing tanx=cosx/sinx

oh well, 71 is still a really good score
that's so annoying tho getting an identity slightly wrong
did you get an A overall?
Original post by LearningGeek
its okay, I get it now, all I had to do was expand the brackets and collect like terms
the answer was 3.52

im getting as 1.5 :s-smilie:
Does showing the method of finding coefficients of binomial expansion terms carry marks? I have the coefficients memorized upto n=12 so I was wondering if it would be ok to directly write down the terms.

2ndly Also I know (a+b)^n - (a-b)^n = 2×sum of even terms of expansion and (a+b)^n×(a-b)^n = expansion of (a-b)^n except every power is doubled and such results. Can I directly write this result down without showing expansions?*
oh well, 71 is still a really good score
that's so annoying tho getting an identity slightly wrong
did you get an A overall?

Yh got 294/300 ☺️. Work hard and dont panic!

Posted from TSR Mobile
when doing log questions- do we have to convert everything to base 10 or can we just use the log button on our calculator? i get the same answer its just much quicker to work out
I just tried that Log question and got 3.52, not sure if the way I did it is odd though?

(x+3)log2 = (x-1)log6

then i divided by (x-1) and Log2 to get = (x+3)/(x-1) = Log6/Log2

= (x+3)/(x-1) = 2.585

(multiplied by x-1)

= (x+3) = 2.585(x-1)

expanded the bracket = (x+3) = 2.585x - 2.585

subtracted x and 3 from the left side to get = 1.585x - 5.585

= x = 5.585/1.585 = 3.52

Is this how you guys did it?
Btw if you have Casio Silver Calculator. Check your integrals in your calculators. Then you know if you got it wrong you will be able to change it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by userxx990
im getting as 1.5 :s-smilie:

(x+3)log2=(x-1)log6

0.301x + 0.903=0.778x-0.778

0.903=0.477x-0.778

1.681=0.477x

x=1.681/0.477

x=3.52

Posted from TSR Mobile

240/300 is usually the lowest you can get for an A right? I'm so annoyed because I messed up the C1 exam so badly when it should've been an easy A for me....seriously made so many mistakes. So now I have the challenge of getting an A overall in AS Maths and have to get about 90% in C2 and S1 to do so
Original post by tw15st3d
when doing log questions- do we have to convert everything to base 10 or can we just use the log button on our calculator? i get the same answer its just much quicker to work out

For logs you get marks for working, so I recommend converting everything to base 10.
Does anyone have an easy way of working out trig identity questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I messed up in C1 so I need to get over 90UMS in both my next papers
are there any specific papers you think I should try and any advice?
294/300 is bloody amazing
Original post by AJC1997
240/300 is usually the lowest you can get for an A right? I'm so annoyed because I messed up the C1 exam so badly when it should've been an easy A for me....seriously made so many mistakes. So now I have the challenge of getting an A overall in AS Maths and have to get about 90% in C2 and S1 to do so

Depends what you got in C1 tbh. Aim for 100. Yes 240/300 is the lowest for an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I messed up in C1 so I need to get over 90UMS in both my next papers
are there any specific papers you think I should try and any advice?
294/300 is bloody amazing

C2, even if you do all the papers. Do the gold papers again. Do solomon papers. In the real exams I finshed considerably early. Set work out clear so its easy to check(came into use in C1 last year as I noticed a mistake in my surds!). Make sure you py special attention to mark schemes as every mark counts. Tbh it is all just practice and that is it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AJC1997

we are literally in the same position, I messed up C1 and need to get an A. aiming to get at least 250 UMS

we are literally in the same position, I messed up C1 and need to get an A. aiming to get at least 250 UMS

Haha, Indeed we are, I'm not worried about getting 90% in S1 as it's my last exam and have plenty of time to just focus on it. Whereas next week I have 4 exams in a row including C2 so I'm going to smash C2 like crazy tonight, we can do this!
C2, even if you do all the papers. Do the gold papers again. Do solomon papers. In the real exams I finshed considerably early. Set work out clear so its easy to check(came into use in C1 last year as I noticed a mistake in my surds!). Make sure you py special attention to mark schemes as every mark counts. Tbh it is all just practice and that is it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ok, thanks, its just I sometimes don't know what the question is asking me to do and when I look at the solution, im kicking myself, cuz I know the methods, its just knowing which method to do if that makes any sense at all

also, sorry just one more question...:biggrin:

how would you do this question??
Got 69 UMS last year... averaging 73/75 atm on the past like 5 papers I've done - I hope to god I can repeat this on the exam, I need an A from somewhere.
Original post by AJC1997
Haha, Indeed we are, I'm not worried about getting 90% in S1 as it's my last exam and have plenty of time to just focus on it. Whereas next week I have 4 exams in a row including C2 so I'm going to smash C2 like crazy tonight, we can do this!

yepp, I have four exams in a row next week too (econ2/maths/bio/chem). we better do this, lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending