The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by StrangeBanana
Forced veganism is not a viable solution to world hunger.

what makes you think that. theres many facts and statistics to suggest it would help, what are you basing your statement on?
Original post by GailQ
Dw, you're not the "other guy" being referred to. I'm not trying bring other people into it, just replying to what I was quoted on :smile:

Oh okay good haha. Oh no I didn't mean it like that, its just I wouldn't want you debating/arguing over an incorrect comment. But yep, :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A5ko
I hope she get's eaten by a ****ing bear.

for real

:borat:
Reply 263
Original post by MsFahima
I got bored of you trying to force me to accept that I should become a vegan and save planet earth.

i realised, i was just saying that one day you or your children will regret that attitude
Survival of the fittest... If you have that mentality thinking we should die if we eat meat then who ever eats vegetables should die as well because you are taking food from animals and insects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by louieja
i realised, i was just saying that one day you or your children will regret that attitude

Wow. You really are being horrible you know.
Original post by Anon_98
No, I believe the argument for that is we have the resources to do something different, to make a change. These animals do not therefore it is acceptable. They can't wake up tomorrow and start growing crops etc, whereas we CHOOSE to take this path despite the fact there are other alternatives.

Vegans/vegetarians, I may be wrong so I apologise in advance.

This is predicated on the assumption that eating animals is wrong. Why? Why do you need to make a change in the first place? I'll give you mistreatment/abuse, we should change that. I don't see why - fundamentally - using Earth's resources in a sustainable way is wrong.
Original post by louieja
what makes you think that. theres many facts and statistics to suggest it would help, what are you basing your statement on?

It is never going to happen.
I was hoping she wouldn't be attractive
The argument is: it is bad/evil/immoral for humans to eat animals, but not bad/evil/immoral for animals to eat other animals.

I think that's flawed.

Only some vegetarians think like that, I agree that sort of thinking is flawed.

The other reason why most (in my opinion) vegetarians don't eat meat is because of the conditions the animals are kept in, how they are killed, the mass slaughter and mass demand for meat causing extinction of a lot of animals and causing worldwide animal variation loss. Obviously the last points only apply mainly to fishing because the main land animals we eat are bred by us, which is also another point - breeding an animal just to be killed.
This is predicated on the assumption that eating animals is wrong. Why? Why do you need to make a change in the first place? I'll give you mistreatment/abuse, we should change that. I don't see why - fundamentally - using Earth's resources in a sustainable way is wrong.

No I dont either, I think its bc of the benefits the world could have if we were to give up eating meat and we are perhaps damaging the Earth rn even though we dont realise?

Now, you'll have to wait for an actual vegan/vegetarian to answer those questions. I just decided to make a point even though I'm on the other side of the argument haha, but yes I agree with what you just said.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anon_98
Loll! You cannot compare this to slavery, come on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is the slavery of animals so how can you not compare it to slavery.

'because you can treat animals like that but not humans because humans are superior because humans say wI'll

The only reason blacks gays etc in society eventually got rights was because they managed to fight back and stand up for themselves. Animals can't do that .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 272
Original post by Iridann
The fact that you seem to think everyone is capable of easily becoming a vegan just like that is distressing. Consider those that can't afford to live on a vegan diet that gives them the right nutrition, or those that physically cannot subsist healthily on a vegan diet. Many vegan diets can be harmful, not everyone is suited for them.

mate im poor and im a vegan, it can be done (definately in england). the only reason meat is the price it is is because it recieves so much government subsidies, in america (and the case is similar in the uk), meat and dairy recieve 73.8% of the total subsidies while fruit and veg get just 0.37%. anyway if theres a particular health reason (could you name one for me) that someone can not become a vegan then fine, if theres people in third world countires that have a goat or two for when their harvest fails thats is also ok. my point is that most of the worlds meat comes from factory farms, where people pay for the meat. they are apying for the meat, they have money so can spend it on veg instead. veg is much more efficient to make, it takes 7kg of plant based foods to produce 1kg of beef, its just government subsidies proping up the meat industry. veganism is probably the best fix for poor people going hungry.
Reply 273
Original post by MsFahima
Wow. You really are being horrible you know.

how, its a fact that in our lifetime the effects of climate change will be felt, and these effects will be far worse for our kids. thats a fact. thats all im saying. if it is horrible to tell someone that then surely it is worse to actually contribute to the problem?
Original post by BaranSR
Survival of the fittest... If you have that mentality thinking we should die if we eat meat then who ever eats vegetables should die as well because you are taking food from animals and insects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol these are not even comparable in the rational mind.

If you Say that killing an animal is the same as eating the same food as an animal to survive then you must say that us not giving all our food to third world countries makes us as bad as anyone that goes over to Africa and goes on a killing spree.

Is that what you are saying?
Reply 275
Original post by ngb9320

'because you can treat animals like that but not humans because humans are superior because humans say wI'll

The only reason blacks gays etc in society eventually got rights was because they managed to fight back and stand up for themselves. Animals can't do that .

Feel free to disagree but I think it's a bit offensive to compare the plight of "blacks gays etc" to eating animals. We have every right to eat animals, as it is an innate part of our being (not going into that argument again).
It isn't simply because we see them as inferior and enjoy causing them pain. I agree that methods of killing animals could be more humane.

When humans have persecuted each other it isn't because of a need to survive, or to maintain a proper diet. It isn't inherent within humans to hate each other. That is the issue I have with you and others equating eating meat to ISIS and Hitler and slavery etc.
Original post by Tillybop
As i said previously D3 cannot be obtained from the sun.

Also seafood! Thats hypocritical to say the least if you will happily eat murdered fish- are they not animals that feel pain too?

when did I *ever* mention fish. Sea foods for vegetarians or vegans obviously exclude fish.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Only some vegetarians think like that, I agree that sort of thinking is flawed.

The other reason why most (in my opinion) vegetarians don't eat meat is because of the conditions the animals are kept in, how they are killed, the mass slaughter and mass demand for meat causing extinction of a lot of animals and causing worldwide animal variation loss. Obviously the last points only apply mainly to fishing because the main land animals we eat are bred by us, which is also another point - breeding an animal just to be killed.

How is it flawed?

Animals need to eat other animals in the wild to survive.

Humans don't in developed countries at this point in time.
Original post by Protégé
Why should I care about not eating animals when they kill and eat others? It's fair.

Their view is probably that other animals don't lock animals in tiny boxes in awful conditions and mass produce them solely for killing, plus carnivores have no choice, they can only survive properly on meat whereas we are omnivores.
Original post by ngb9320

I'm so surprised, this is the first time since Ive created an account that you have ACTUALLY responded with something relatively decent.

(All of you who may see this, I'm not being rude or mean I assure you. - 3words: The Hypocrisy thread)

In response to what you just said, no- I dont believe it is the slavery of animals. We could equally argue that plants have even LESS of a choice and are being "slaved" too. Animals can at least respond whereas plants can't even speak, I mean that is just awful. -These plants are being ripped from their roots, a place they once called home just so we can satisfy our hunger.

I dont think that term should be used at all bc as you can see we could apply it to any situation and frankly animals are going through anything but slavery.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest