The Student Room Group

any other vegans here?

i’ve been vegan for nearly 3 years now, and was wondering if anyone else on here was. how are you feeling about being vegan at uni? i know everywhere i can eat at in my own city, i’m sure coventry’s not too bad but it’s a mix of exciting and uncertainty. i’ve only been to coventry outside of warwick’s campus once, i had a super nice “chicken” burger but the place is sadly closed now. thankfully i’m quite good at cooking (i learned how to in y11, so i have experience), so it’s not really a big deal if there aren’t amazing vegan restaurants.

how are you feeling about being vegan at uni? i’m excited to join mine’s vegsoc, which i’m sure’ll be much more active than the one in my sixth form. also, i want to show off my cooking because some people have a bias against vegan food.
Hiiii im a vegan too, undergrad starting this September, bit worried abt the costs of food n other things
Defo show them your awesome cooking skills!!! Homemade food is always so much betterrrr
Stuff like shampoo is so bad quality unless it’s expensive 😭 my bro usually buys from lush but Ik I can’t afford from there so idk what to do tbh
I think it will defo affect a few things like eating out, but we will manage
Good luck to you ☺️👍
Original post by taylors_version
i’ve been vegan for nearly 3 years now, and was wondering if anyone else on here was. how are you feeling about being vegan at uni? i know everywhere i can eat at in my own city, i’m sure coventry’s not too bad but it’s a mix of exciting and uncertainty. i’ve only been to coventry outside of warwick’s campus once, i had a super nice “chicken” burger but the place is sadly closed now. thankfully i’m quite good at cooking (i learned how to in y11, so i have experience), so it’s not really a big deal if there aren’t amazing vegan restaurants.

how are you feeling about being vegan at uni? i’m excited to join mine’s vegsoc, which i’m sure’ll be much more active than the one in my sixth form. also, i want to show off my cooking because some people have a bias against vegan food.
At least I am eating vegan foods now and then. Some pasta recipes tastes pretty good.
Original post by Kallisto
At least I am eating vegan foods now and then. Some pasta recipes tastes pretty good.

Sometimes I think vegan food tastes better in countries/cultures that have a lot of non-meat dishes bcz you can just swap out milk n stuff and it’s pretty much the same 👍👍
I'm a vegan student and honestly I've always found it super easy. You can get the HappyCow app to find new places to eat, and in general there are lots of vegan options in student cities. There are also lots of vegan student cook books you can get.

Food recommendations:
- tomato pasta with lentil pasta. It's a good way to get extra protein in without having to put extra effort or money into cooking. Ofc normal pasta is good too!
- easy daals. Get frozen chopped veg, fry it in a deep pan then add your preferred spices, then add water and lentils and let it all boil together until the lentils are cooked. You can bulk cook this so you have dinner for a few nights.
- risotto - same process as above with rice instead of lentils. Can add beans for some protein.
- beans on toast or bagels

For soaps etc the body shop is cruelty free, but there are a few vegan supermarket brands too so you should be ok. I think natural origin is, and simple bean soaps are usually ok.

Good luck!
Original post by Awesomeagalya
Sometimes I think vegan food tastes better in countries/cultures that have a lot of non-meat dishes bcz you can just swap out milk n stuff and it’s pretty much the same 👍👍

Vegan foods aren't worse in any case, that is fact. And I definetely cooking and eating not enough of them, what a shame.
I’m trying to gain weight (muscle) while on a vegan diet at uni, do you think this will be costly?
I’m trying to gain weight (muscle) while on a vegan diet at uni, do you think this will be costly?

Every food costs money. If that's your priority then it should be doable, but you might need to prioritise over other things, such as getting coffee or going out, depending on the cost of what you choose to buy. But that's the case for everyone - we all have to decide what we want to prioritise financially, and that means different things for different people. If you cook yourself (especially if you meal prep a few days at a time) it should be a lot more manageable, and if you eat lots of cheap things like lentils, beans, etc as well as the more costly vegan protein sources.
Hiiii im a vegan too, undergrad starting this September, bit worried abt the costs of food n other things
Defo show them your awesome cooking skills!!! Homemade food is always so much betterrrr
Stuff like shampoo is so bad quality unless it’s expensive 😭 my bro usually buys from lush but Ik I can’t afford from there so idk what to do tbh
I think it will defo affect a few things like eating out, but we will manage
Good luck to you ☺️👍

hey!! i’m really glad to see other vegans on here, or just in general. :smile:

yes!! i was shocked when i found out that people go to uni not knowing how to cook, and relying only on ready meals and instant ramen. i’m planning to cook for myself, eat meal replacements and go out as well as eat ready meals.

i use shampoo bars myself. they can be pricey but good ones should last you a while! i always stick to the same brands which i know are vegan, cruelty free & sustainable when it comes to cosmetics, and i’ll probly do the same in uni.

honestly? i’ve been on holiday in the rural countryside in areas where they just eat meat and dairy, so i think it can’t really get worse than that —especially since unis are often close to large cities, where you can find vegan restaurants.
(edited 7 months ago)

bolognese is one of my favourites, have you tried cooking with vegan mince?
are you interested in going vegan? i’m sure people here would help you find food you like!
bolognese is one of my favourites, have you tried cooking with vegan mince?
are you interested in going vegan? i’m sure people here would help you find food you like!

Going vegan is a bit too far, but I don't mind for good vegan foods. Name some, if you can.
Going vegan is a bit too far, but I don't mind for good vegan foods. Name some, if you can.

what makes you think that? i felt the same pre-vegan, but i’ve never gone back.

here are just some rly ideas for eating:
- tofu stir fried, air fried, etc
- mock meats, cook ‘em how you like
- curries! i like japanese and indian
- east asian foods, esp. chinese
- vegan versions of your current faves
Reply 12

hi!! i'm a relatively new vegan (9 months vegan, veggie for like 6 months before) but regret not going vegan sooner. i really wish my school had a veg soc, it seems so fun! sadly i don't know many other vegans. one of my ex-friends is vegan and i know one other girl at school who is, but we don't see each other that much. i keep thinking that i should ask her to campaign with me for vegan labelling (and maybe at least one hot vegan option per day) in the school canteen though, because it's actually awful rn.

i'm still a year or so away from going to uni but have travelled a fair bit recently so highly recommend Happy Cow for anytime you are somewhere unfamiliar, or even just going onto tiktok and searching for '*location* vegan'. I can't lie, i do take great enjoyment in the hobby of recommending a specific cafe to visit with a friend and oops its all vegan haha. Like you though, I do really enjoy cooking and baking. love making something that people would think impossible to make a good vegan version of, only for it to be better than any non-vegan one they have had (chilli, cinnamon rolls, burnt basuqe cheesecake, etc). people always seem impressed when you offer good food to them, and to me it seems like one of the best ways to plant a lil vegan seed in their minds lol so definitely share what you create!

also, i spy a fellow swiftie.... hello
Original post by edjc123
hi!! i'm a relatively new vegan (9 months vegan, veggie for like 6 months before) but regret not going vegan sooner. i really wish my school had a veg soc, it seems so fun! sadly i don't know many other vegans. one of my ex-friends is vegan and i know one other girl at school who is, but we don't see each other that much. i keep thinking that i should ask her to campaign with me for vegan labelling (and maybe at least one hot vegan option per day) in the school canteen though, because it's actually awful rn.

i'm still a year or so away from going to uni but have travelled a fair bit recently so highly recommend Happy Cow for anytime you are somewhere unfamiliar, or even just going onto tiktok and searching for '*location* vegan'. I can't lie, i do take great enjoyment in the hobby of recommending a specific cafe to visit with a friend and oops its all vegan haha. Like you though, I do really enjoy cooking and baking. love making something that people would think impossible to make a good vegan version of, only for it to be better than any non-vegan one they have had (chilli, cinnamon rolls, burnt basuqe cheesecake, etc). people always seem impressed when you offer good food to them, and to me it seems like one of the best ways to plant a lil vegan seed in their minds lol so definitely share what you create!

also, i spy a fellow swiftie.... hello

Have you tried 'Karissa's vegan brownies'? Not super hard to make vegan ofc but they are spectacular
(edited 7 months ago)
what makes you think that? i felt the same pre-vegan, but i’ve never gone back. (...)

I like to eat meat and can't stop with it forever. Two or three days in a week, sure. But not the rest of my life.

Quick Reply

Latest