The Student Room Group

Not eating enough protein

I’m roughly almost 70kg and I think I need to have almost 95-112g of protein daily for weight gain.

I know without it you won’t have great muscle recovery or build muscle. But I’m about to start my at home fitness journey for weight gain & im worried on how I’m going to get that much protein daily in! It seems so expensive to be consuming chicken/meat etc for every meal and ensure almost every meal or snack contains a decent amount of protein! Shakes can only provide about 23g but I don’t want to be drinking it all day

My goal is weight gain as I’ve been slim with no shape all my life but I’m not so focused on growing huge muscles and looking lean at all, I just want a bit of meat uno.
1) Without enough protein I’m guessing you’ll gain more body fat being a caloric surplus, but if I’m working out would I still look somewhat shaped? Rather than just a blob lol
2) my workouts will be more lower body focused for hourglass shape as I naturally have a broad upper board. While In caloric surplus - yet not eating enough protein, will my lower body get skinnier because I’m working them out more without enough protein to grow muscle? Can’t I grow fat instead is that so bad if I don’t want to look so lean?

I’d appreciate any advice thank you
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
This is not qualified dietician advice but just one of common sense and a basic knowledge of food types.You don't have to eat protein at every meal to get muscle gain. It is the regular use of a muscle that creates muscle.

You sound to be lucky to have a slim body type, and it is really beneficial that you are taking an interest in how you provide your body with nutrition. Work at good nutrition and your body will be naturally fit and healthy. Work at your gym workouts and other cardio work and you will get the muscle definitions you aim for. Just enjoy what you do and don't fuss or obsess. You cannot really change the body mass type you were born with, that is genetics for you.

If you are not trying to lose weight it makes more sense to ignore the protein emphasis and look at your fresh fruit and veg food intake overall. Your daily food intake should be a balance between proteins, carbohydrates and fats to give your body system the calorific intake it needs.Your pre formed protein bars are shockingly expensive but have been marketed for the 'younger market' as healthy (these are all processed foods) Your food intake should avoid the many non processed foods, pre-formed, shaped foods as possible (ditch anything with a a lot list of e numbers, coatings and chemicals)

Try to eat fruit and veg that has been harvested without processing into extruded, reformed shapes, avoid fries, chips, ready meals. Avoid cakes, biscuits and chocolate bars (high quality dark chocolate the exception) Start looking at introducing 'whole food' items into your diet. Your diet is so crucial. The numbers of children and adults suffering from constipation as a regular experience in the Western world is shocking, it is so avoidable. Your poo should be soft and easily expelled. If you bulk up your diet with natural fruit and veg fibre your gut will thank you and so will your your long term health. Your gut health is as important as your physical health and there is evidence that a healthy gut can help you avoid disease and infections.

This assumes you have no specific dietary needs or allergies etc

East porridge oats and fruits as breakfast, multi item fresh salads (baked potato, boiled new potato, sweetcorn, green leaves, tomato, cucumber, olives, grated carrot, beetroot, blanched green beans, courgettes) dressed with olive oil. You talk about the costs of eating chicken but on a cost for cost basis raw chicken is as cheap as protein mix. If you look at trays of chicken legs, breast, thighs, or other meats and freeze your individual portions. Don't forget fish, nuts, meats, cheese, milk, yoghurts, pulses as protein sources. Have a look at food price reductions in supermarkets refrigerator isles and change your planned meals against what is reduced for the day.Use an air fryer to cook meats quickly and cheaply, or simmer them with vegetables for nutritious soups or stews. Drinking skimmed milk is a very good muscle recovery and protein item. So are the many dairy products, natural yoghurt, cheeses etc.
The Leon takeaway group do very good books on fast suppers using whole foods and their recipies are very good, but there are many more all extolling the virtues of fresh whole produce. Drink plenty of water, and add a squeeze of lemon or fruit juice juice for vitamin c.

Hope this helps?
Reply 2
Original post by Muttly
This is not qualified dietician advice but just one of common sense and a basic knowledge of food types.You don't have to eat protein at every meal to get muscle gain. It is the regular use of a muscle that creates muscle.

You sound to be lucky to have a slim body type, and it is really beneficial that you are taking an interest in how you provide your body with nutrition. Work at good nutrition and your body will be naturally fit and healthy. Work at your gym workouts and other cardio work and you will get the muscle definitions you aim for. Just enjoy what you do and don't fuss or obsess. You cannot really change the body mass type you were born with, that is genetics for you.

If you are not trying to lose weight it makes more sense to ignore the protein emphasis and look at your fresh fruit and veg food intake overall. Your daily food intake should be a balance between proteins, carbohydrates and fats to give your body system the calorific intake it needs.Your pre formed protein bars are shockingly expensive but have been marketed for the 'younger market' as healthy (these are all processed foods) Your food intake should avoid the many non processed foods, pre-formed, shaped foods as possible (ditch anything with a a lot list of e numbers, coatings and chemicals)

Try to eat fruit and veg that has been harvested without processing into extruded, reformed shapes, avoid fries, chips, ready meals. Avoid cakes, biscuits and chocolate bars (high quality dark chocolate the exception) Start looking at introducing 'whole food' items into your diet. Your diet is so crucial. The numbers of children and adults suffering from constipation as a regular experience in the Western world is shocking, it is so avoidable. Your poo should be soft and easily expelled. If you bulk up your diet with natural fruit and veg fibre your gut will thank you and so will your your long term health. Your gut health is as important as your physical health and there is evidence that a healthy gut can help you avoid disease and infections.

This assumes you have no specific dietary needs or allergies etc

East porridge oats and fruits as breakfast, multi item fresh salads (baked potato, boiled new potato, sweetcorn, green leaves, tomato, cucumber, olives, grated carrot, beetroot, blanched green beans, courgettes) dressed with olive oil. You talk about the costs of eating chicken but on a cost for cost basis raw chicken is as cheap as protein mix. If you look at trays of chicken legs, breast, thighs, or other meats and freeze your individual portions. Don't forget fish, nuts, meats, cheese, milk, yoghurts, pulses as protein sources. Have a look at food price reductions in supermarkets refrigerator isles and change your planned meals against what is reduced for the day.Use an air fryer to cook meats quickly and cheaply, or simmer them with vegetables for nutritious soups or stews. Drinking skimmed milk is a very good muscle recovery and protein item. So are the many dairy products, natural yoghurt, cheeses etc.
The Leon takeaway group do very good books on fast suppers using whole foods and their recipies are very good, but there are many more all extolling the virtues of fresh whole produce. Drink plenty of water, and add a squeeze of lemon or fruit juice juice for vitamin c.

Hope this helps?

Wow can’t thank you enough for this! Of course to bulk up I will be eating relatively healthier foods. I think I’m just being anxious on how to eat so much and get the required amount of protein in while on a budget. I live at home with parents so to be doing my own weekly food shop for weight gain will be strange & thinking of the costs is worrying.

This is the plan I have in my head..let me know what you think:
I have a south East Asian diet at home. I was looking to portion control around it while ensuring my breakfast and snacks are healthier & dense in calories. And for “traditional” daily lunch & dinner I incorporate side of salads. I could possibly include another meal and drink Atleast a protein shake a day with whole milk.

My workout split will be 2-3x a week, lower body focused with light upper body workouts. (I have a workout program)

I have been doing my own research and honestly I feel like there’s so much hype around ensuring to get the exact amount of protein intake in for your body/goal. My goal isn’t to look so muscly or lean. As long as I put on a decent amount of weight & look somewhat shaped/curvier I’ll be over the moon.
I’m not into eating protein bars as like u said it’ll get expensive. But I for sure know I won’t be able to fit in 100g of protein daily! If I’m lucky 40-70g sounds more realistic for me. Eating in a surplus will be a challenge but not as much as trying to get specific amount of macros in. Does this mean I will put on more fat & no-little muscle? If so I don’t mind at all as long as I’ve put on weight especially on lower body and in shape then I’m good
If you find you struggle to get it in your food (which is the best place) try protein yogurts as a snack. Dont forget nuts and eggs! Beef jerky is a good source too.

On Protein shakes shakes too but I prefer Clear Whey, as its more like juice rather than a milkshake. Tend to have around 20g of protein per serving. I get around 120-140g of protein a day.

My diet is mostly chicken and fish for protein with clear whey and nuts added in too. Of course make sure youre eating fruit and veg too

My PT says aim to get around 20-30g per meal and then 10-20g per snack as a guideline.

Are you using MyFitnessPal to track it all?
Reply 4
Original post by Jack22031994
If you find you struggle to get it in your food (which is the best place) try protein yogurts as a snack. Dont forget nuts and eggs! Beef jerky is a good source too.

On Protein shakes shakes too but I prefer Clear Whey, as its more like juice rather than a milkshake. Tend to have around 20g of protein per serving. I get around 120-140g of protein a day.

My diet is mostly chicken and fish for protein with clear whey and nuts added in too. Of course make sure youre eating fruit and veg too

My PT says aim to get around 20-30g per meal and then 10-20g per snack as a guideline.

Are you using MyFitnessPal to track it all?

Hey thanks for this!
Honestly I find it impossible to have that much protein! I used a protein calculator online and said for weight gain I need about 90-112g of protein but it really does sound impossible and expensive.

At home we do eat meat & chicken but not at every meal. Yes I could have shakes and nuts etc throughout the day but it sounds crazy to be having it everyday. I think this is the only thing that I’m struggling with on getting started with my fitness journey.

What will happen if I get all my calories in for weight gain, eating relatively healthy foods, some protein (around 50-70g for example) I’m guessing I would gain weight but not so much lean muscle? Because I’m not fussed on having defined muscled, as long as I’ve put on decent weight and look a little shaped from working out then I’d have reached my goal
Original post by Maris499
Hey thanks for this!
Honestly I find it impossible to have that much protein! I used a protein calculator online and said for weight gain I need about 90-112g of protein but it really does sound impossible and expensive.

At home we do eat meat & chicken but not at every meal. Yes I could have shakes and nuts etc throughout the day but it sounds crazy to be having it everyday. I think this is the only thing that I’m struggling with on getting started with my fitness journey.

What will happen if I get all my calories in for weight gain, eating relatively healthy foods, some protein (around 50-70g for example) I’m guessing I would gain weight but not so much lean muscle? Because I’m not fussed on having defined muscled, as long as I’ve put on decent weight and look a little shaped from working out then I’d have reached my goal

No worries!

if youre getting all your calories in, then you’ll still gaun weight but if protein is on the low side, it might just take a little longer thats all.
Reply 6
There are some Arla yoghurts that have like 20g of protein in per 200g pot, I think Lidl and Aldi also do similarly high-protein yoghurt-y type things :smile:

To gain weight: energy in > energy out. To build muscle, do exercises that work your muscles.

Quick Reply

Latest