The Student Room Group

OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gemmax6x
It was day 7, the textbook says day 7?

In the OCR textbook it says 'prisoner 10 joined on day 5 (earlier than originally planned)'

So they should hopefully allow either!
Original post by Lizcookk
Thank you for this!

No problem!
When reading what answers people on here put to questions such as the option choice of Milgram on section B (for those who did Milgram), it makes you realise just how much vital information you actually missed. Cringing right now. :doh::facepalm2:
Reply 363
Original post by Yupbrickingit
Well I hadn't a clue about the 12 marker in section c because we were told nothing about it... I'm pretty sure that I did it wrong because I stated a strength e.g: it allows psychologists to suggest reasons for mental disorders. And related it to freud and then stated how there was consent in the study as freud's father gave parental consent.

But reading the comments on this has just confirmed that I did it completely wrong so yup... Just going to go cry now

I'm pretty sure everyone on the thread is saying that you did it the right way. I did a strength of the approach in general and then linked it to ethics and gave an example.
Original post by natashaellenx
Oh gosh same here! I remember learning it that's the thing but I just don't even remember what it is. All I could remember was legitimacy of roles, I wish it was that!

Don't know if someone has already answered this but it was the one where an additional participant was entered into the study with a background as a trade union official
Please can someone tell me if I got this right for the 12 marker question:

Strengths:
- Fully informed consent (Maguire's study needed participants to give consent to have MRI scans), therefore no deception either
- No harm (Machines participants hooked up to may be uncomfortable but no long lasting harm - D&K)

Weaknesses:
- Right to withdraw (Can't leave experiment in middle of MRI scan)
- Confidentiality (Careful not to leave names on results - MRI scans, etc)
Reply 366
Am I the only one who found Section A harder then section B & C?
I just really hope I got an A, I messed up on the Monkey study, Griffiths & Reicher & haslam. I lost around 12 marks just there alone so leaving me with a best of 48/60, take into account some other mistakes around 44? I think I did really well on the other 30/36? & 20/24? Really hoping I didn't mess up to bad on the section A and some of my guesses were right. Would be really gutted if I don't get an A :'(
Did ya'll read the maguire graph properly? It was the /change/ in volume of hippocampus. It went from like -8 to +8, so it wasn't a positive or negative correlation because the volume decreased then increased?
Original post by Kayb14
I'm pretty sure everyone on the thread is saying that you did it the right way. I did a strength of the approach in general and then linked it to ethics and gave an example.

I really do hope so... Because I know ive made silly mistakes in section A and everything so losing 12 marks in section c wouldn't be great. I'm thinking I'm not even going to get a C at this rate :frown:
I was confused with the question on Rosenhan's study because I wasn't sure if they were asking for when the pseudo patients were seeing the psychiatrist where they reported hearing voices e.g. "thud", "hollow" etc. or if they were asking for when they were actually on the ward. I put the first but as I can see from here no one else did so I definitely lost the marks. :frown:
Did anyone else find it difficult to think of results in milgram? I said 60% gave 450v, 100% gave 300v, participants showed signs of distress for example biting lips and sweating, I also said that many were concerned for the welfare of the learner and asked whether he was okay, and said that when people protested to continuing they did actually continue when prompted to by the experimenter and said one participant had a mental breakdown and experimenters had to intervene to take that participant out of the experiment. I just don't think I wrote enough for 8 marks, it didn't fill up the space given, I dunno if that's just my squished handwriting or... I dunno
Reply 371
Also when it say's why was your experiment conducted? Are you meant to say backround information??!?!? Cause I just said an aim.!!! :angry:, if so I julost out on 2 easy marks.... *cries*
Reply 372
For people that done Milgram on section C...

What did you write for findings? I wrote literally all I could remember which I thought was everything but it was only like half the page and wasn't quite 8 points...
Original post by em1123

What did you write for findings? I wrote literally all I could remember which I thought was everything but it was only like half the page and wasn't quite 8 points...

Have a look at what i just wrote, exactly what it thought
Original post by Alisa121
What do you think grade boundaries will be like for an a grade

I think they will stay the same at an 88
Last years exam was terrible, everyone complained, the grade boundaries didn't change, OCR are stubborn and this exam was so much easier than last year
Original post by em1123

I wrote the obvious 65% 26/40 went all the way to 450V, compared to the 3% previously predicted by the psychology students, then shaking, trembling, biting nails, nervous laughter, sweating etc and three full blown seizures, then quickly mentioned that they found it stressful obeying destructive orders, what did you put?
Reply 376
Reading this has made me realise I've made silly little stupid mistake UGH. Hoping they don't add up to too many marks lost and I still get a decent grade *crosses fingers*
Milgram findings, I put:
- 60% of participants went up to the full 450V.
- 100% of participants went up to 300V.
- (I meant to write about how painful they thought the shocks were, but instead wrote how scary they were :s-smilie:) but I put an average of 13.7 out of 14 which should be close enough.
- 3 participants had uncontrollable seizures, 1 had one so uncontrollable that the experiment had to be stopped.
- There were notes that participants were sweating, dug fingernails into the skin etc.
- Some participants had a nervous laughter, but they made sure to say that they were not laughing at the situation, far from it.
Original post by Rstlss
Also when it say's why was your experiment conducted? Are you meant to say backround information??!?!? Cause I just said an aim.!!! :angry:, if so I julost out on 2 easy marks.... *cries*

Yeah it means the background so milgram - WW2 are the germans different
Piliavin - kitty genovese
rosenhan - Schizophrenia, stickyness of psychiatric labels, DSM
Reply 379
Original post by tasmins
I wrote the obvious 65% 26/40 went all the way to 450V, compared to the 3% previously predicted by the psychology students, then shaking, trembling, biting nails, nervous laughter, sweating etc and three full blown seizures, then quickly mentioned that they found it stressful obeying destructive orders, what did you put?

Ahh okay think that is quite similar to mine then..
I put the 65% to full voltage, all to 300v with some dropping out in-between 315v-450v and then about signs of distress: trembling, nervous giggling, sweating, twitching, groaning and one person having a seizure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending