The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 900
Original post by CD223
Cool! And is it >1.4 solar masses = neutron star, >3 solar masses = black hole?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds right off the top of my head (after tomorrow, physics and chemistry revision restarts for me!)
Reply 901
Original post by Lau14
Sounds right off the top of my head (after tomorrow, physics and chemistry revision restarts for me!)

Yeah I've been slacking recently. As you can probably tell. Last day of college was today so I'm now officially free!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 902
Original post by CD223
Yeah I've been slacking recently. As you can probably tell. Last day of college was today so I'm now officially free!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same! (on both the slacking and the end of term :tongue: between maths exams and it being the last few days I just haven't done anything much). Did you do anything for the end of term?
Reply 903
Original post by Lau14
Same! (on both the slacking and the end of term :tongue: between maths exams and it being the last few days I just haven't done anything much). Did you do anything for the end of term?

Nice! Sounds like a good thing - gotta have a break to make sure you don't have a breakdown haha!

Not exactly yet! Our college leaver's ball isn't until late June so celebrations don't quite start yet :wink: yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 904
Original post by CD223
Nice! Sounds like a good thing - gotta have a break to make sure you don't have a breakdown haha!

Not exactly yet! Our college leaver's ball isn't until late June so celebrations don't quite start yet :wink: yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

True, just hoping I don't struggle too much to get back into things now!

Ah we don't have a leavers ball or anything fortunately (they got the hint after they tried a Christmas ball last year and lost loads of money on the venue because literally no one went), just had leavers afternoon today which involved a bouncy castle and a bungee run (tbh just made me think about M2 way too much) in the town park conveniently behind college and some people got exceptionally drunk for that time of the afternoon. Also a bunch of people bought foam swords and water pistols so that was fun :biggrin:
Reply 905
Original post by Lau14
True, just hoping I don't struggle too much to get back into things now!

Ah we don't have a leavers ball or anything fortunately (they got the hint after they tried a Christmas ball last year and lost loads of money on the venue because literally no one went), just had leavers afternoon today which involved a bouncy castle and a bungee run (tbh just made me think about M2 way too much) in the town park conveniently behind college and some people got exceptionally drunk for that time of the afternoon. Also a bunch of people bought foam swords and water pistols so that was fun :biggrin:

That sounds the oddest (yet still undeniably cool) way to end 2 years :L

Leaver's ball is a Las Vegas theme this year. They've hired a hall, a DJ and there will be poker tables, a bar for over 18s and fireworks - sounds more spectacular than it will probably turn out tbf Hahahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 906
Original post by CD223
That sounds the oddest (yet still undeniably cool) way to end 2 years :L

Leaver's ball is a Las Vegas theme this year. They've hired a hall, a DJ and there will be poker tables, a bar for over 18s and fireworks - sounds more spectacular than it will probably turn out tbf Hahahah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah our college has finally accepted that we're all five year olds at heart :biggrin: at one point a guy from my maths & physics classes had a foam sword to my neck and was shouting "don't move or I'll kill the princess" (I'm the most cheerful looking hostage you've ever seen in the photos :tongue: ).

Sounds like it could be fun, although not really my thing (I regretted going to year 11 prom)! We've also got a night for over 18s to go get plastered at one of the local... clubs? Night out places? I don't know what to call it, I don't drink :tongue: but I don't think I'm going to that.
Reply 907
I reckon the life cycle of stars is gonna be the 6 marker, well there certainly wasn't a great deal on the life cycle of stars on the 2014 paper anyway.

Had a question, does anyone know how much of the derivation we need to know for the kinetic theory gas equation?
Reply 908
Original post by CD223
What about this?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432230118.553463.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - this is great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 909
Original post by Lau14
Yeah our college has finally accepted that we're all five year olds at heart :biggrin: at one point a guy from my maths & physics classes had a foam sword to my neck and was shouting "don't move or I'll kill the princess" (I'm the most cheerful looking hostage you've ever seen in the photos :tongue: ).

Sounds like it could be fun, although not really my thing (I regretted going to year 11 prom)! We've also got a night for over 18s to go get plastered at one of the local... clubs? Night out places? I don't know what to call it, I don't drink :tongue: but I don't think I'm going to that.

Aww haha. Sounds a laugh.

Yeah prom I think was disappointing for everyone :L sounds good! I'm sure people will go out after the event. Ah it all seems too long away to be true :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 910
Original post by JJBinn
I reckon the life cycle of stars is gonna be the 6 marker, well there certainly wasn't a great deal on the life cycle of stars on the 2014 paper anyway.

Had a question, does anyone know how much of the derivation we need to know for the kinetic theory gas equation?

Yeah that's a solid contender and one of the more obvious questions.

Do you have the CGP guide? If so, the level of detail on that page is probably advised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 911
Original post by _Caz_
Thanks - this is great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem! How would you go about answering a six marker on the life cycle of a star?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 912
Original post by CD223
No problem! How would you go about answering a six marker on the life cycle of a star?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think they would ask about the life cyle of stars generally or for a more specific mass one?
Reply 913
Original post by Lau14
Do you think they would ask about the life cyle of stars generally or for a more specific mass one?

Probably a two star (X and Y) one where X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses).

Would you describe the following being the same for both:
Planetary nebula
Protostar
Main sequence

Then the path splits?

What confuses me is that I thought:
larger stars go on to form a red giant, red super giant, supernova then form a black hole or a neutron star?
smaller stars go onto being a red giant, then a white dwarf, then cool to become a black dwarf?

But, if a type Ia supernova is formed from a white dwarf, how does that alter the life cycle? Because surely a white dwarf can then result in a neutron star or black hole?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 914
Original post by CD223
Probably a two star (X and Y) one where X has a larger mass (>3 solar masses) and Y has a lower mass (~1.4 solar masses).

Would you describe the following being the same for both:
Planetary nebula
Protostar
Main sequence

Then the path splits?

What confuses me is that I thought:
larger stars go on to form a red giant, red super giant, supernova then form a black hole or a neutron star?
smaller stars go onto being a red giant, then a white dwarf, then cool to become a black dwarf?

But, if a type Ia supernova is formed from a white dwarf, how does that alter the life cycle? Because surely a white dwarf can then result in a neutron star or black hole?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah you would describe the initial stages together and then split.

Not that I know of, the white dwarf still doesn't have enough mass to form a neutron star or a black hole I think? Because those aren't side effects of the supernova, they happen because outward pressure from fusion stops and there's just too much mass.
Reply 915
Original post by Lau14
Yeah you would describe the initial stages together and then split.

Not that I know of, the white dwarf still doesn't have enough mass to form a neutron star or a black hole I think? Because those aren't side effects of the supernova, they happen because outward pressure from fusion stops and there's just too much mass.

I see, sorry. I didn't really understand it in class. So a white dwarf generally just cools to a black dwarf but can cause a supernova in a binary system with a main sequence star?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 916
Original post by CD223
I see, sorry. I didn't really understand it in class. So a white dwarf generally just cools to a black dwarf but can cause a supernova in a binary system with a main sequence star?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, if the conditions are right in the binary system :smile: If we're asked about the life cycle of a star though you wouldn't talk about type 1a supernova, just the standard life cycle.
Reply 917
Original post by Lau14
Yes, if the conditions are right in the binary system :smile: If we're asked about the life cycle of a star though you wouldn't talk about type 1a supernova, just the standard life cycle.

Thanks for clearing that up - I would have otherwise struggled to get 3/6 marks haha!

In terms of "hydrogen burning" - is this the only stage of fusion we need to describe? Or do we need to know further stages?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 918
Original post by CD223
Thanks for clearing that up - I would have otherwise struggled to get 3/6 marks haha!

In terms of "hydrogen burning" - is this the only stage of fusion we need to describe? Or do we need to know further stages?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd imagine we talk about the fusion of helium into heavier elements for the red giant stage. I really need to revise the life cycle of a star properly because I am pretty sure it's going to come up, after doing the 2013 and 2014 paper neither of them had a question about the life cycle of stars. All there was was the question about 1a supernovae
Reply 919
Original post by JJBinn
I'd imagine we talk about the fusion of helium into heavier elements for the red giant stage. I really need to revise the life cycle of a star properly because I am pretty sure it's going to come up, after doing the 2013 and 2014 paper neither of them had a question about the life cycle of stars. All there was was the question about 1a supernovae

I see. I need to revise it too. I'd struggle to answer a six marker on that even though it's probably one of the "easier" topics. I can give an order but not reasons (EG: hydrogen runs out and star swells etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending