The Student Room Group

Ocr computing unofficial mark scheme

A lot of these answers had other alternatives. These are not all absolutes and in some cases you mayhave just worded things differently

1a. RAM volatile / Opposite for ROM, RAM memory contents erased when power to processor is switched off / Opposite for ROM. RAM memory contents can be changed / Opposite for ROM.
b. Data files currently in use. So that user can make changes to data files in use.,, Possibly could have said OS or applications but I am not sure of what your reasons would be.
ii. Boot program / Bootkit / Bootstrap. Needed as soon as power to processor switched on so must be stored in ROM and its memory contents are not erased after power to processor is switched off.
c. Optical Character Recognition. Shapes of individual characters from printout or written text are scanned optically. Shapes are compared with set of standard shapes in computers memory and so are used to match the shapes so the computer can determine what they are. Example = Document Reader for the blind
ii. Optical Mark Recognition. Position of mark equates with information. Document is scanned to find coordiantes of marks.. This is done by scanner mesuaring the reflected light off of the marks. Example = Multiple Choice Examination Marker.

2. Input device - Sensor - To measure temperature of tank. Anything sensible that is relevant will get you marks.
ii. Output Device - Screen - So operator can see the temperature and make adjustments,, Speaker - Beeps loudly if system fails and cannot change temperature so the owner knows to take the fish out.
ii. Storage Device - HDD - Stores OS or logs data of temperature input from sensor.

4. Think I may have forgotten a question here.
Bunch of binary questions and calculations
For the hexadecimal question it was:
take 4 bits at a time from right to left (and add any 0's where necessary). Convert the 4 bits(nibbles) into denary equivalents to get hexadecimal value. You didn't have to say it but I think it was like 59 or something.

5. Single User OS - One user at a time allowed to use machine + Each user allocated with rights + User files kept separate
Mult-Tasking OS - More than one task simultaneously + Can be separated through use of windows + Processor will allocate certain amount of time to one task before moving onto the next + Tasks will have different priorities + e.g. Playing music while writing essay.
General points about Purpose of OS such providing a user interface for operator etc.. but that is most likely a smaller portion of the marks.

6. Protocol Definition - Rules used to govern communication between devices
ii. What frequencies?, Error Correction Method, Flow control, Routing, Compression Type, File Type, Packet Size, Wired or Wireless? Copper cable or fiber optic?, Radio or Microwave? Many more I imagine as well.

7. Bit rate sensitivity - Streaming of videos to customers = Video streaming requires large amount of data + Video files are large and needed immediately + Means that data is time sensitive + Delays will interupt output / cause video to freeze or lag + High bitrate needed otherwise data becomes useless.
Downloading text or spreadsheet files for sales departments does not require a lot of data + Text or spreadsheet files small and not needed immediately + Data is not time sensitive + Bit rate is unimportant as file can take time to download + Bit rate is dependent on data being sent.

8. Some nonsense questions about bridges and gateways if I remember correctly. Not even in the spec.
b. Form Based - uses small amount of system resources and proccesing power + reduces mistakes on input through use of radio buttons and dropdown menus + Fairly easy to use + mouse only moves once important areas have been filled so ensures everything is filled out + many others I imagine but I don't have time to think about them
c. Command line - Interface where user types in commands for OS via a keyboard in order to perform particular task. + Allows more direct control of OS + Allows technician to access whole system
d. Menu Based Interface + (Maybe GUI but I decided not to) +Intuitive + Can be used by computer illiterate + Doesn't require experienced operator + Can allow for use of touch screen which may reduce damage caused by environment or young kids messing around.

9. File Handlers - Manage Data storage + Allow files to be manipulated (deleted,moved,renamed etc..) + Suitable example
ii. Hardware Drivers - Give instructions to OS for how to use a peripheral + It configures hardware + Suitable example (I went with a new printer needing communications protocol installed on OS and applied it to shop owner)
iii. Back up Utility - Automatically makes copies of important files + On several pieces of removable storage - Regular intervals + Should be incremental + If data is corrupted can be recovered + Suitable example (Files important to shop owner must be protected etc...)

10. Pretty much could have said anything that was valid so I am not going to bother.

Questions I forgot about.
Installation - Method of implementation / changeover + Training Plan devised + Hardware and software bought and installed + Technical Documentation produced + System tested with real data in actual conditions + Data reformatted

Corrective - To correct bugs and errors, Perfective - To improve performance of software possibly by tidying up code and switching lines with more efficient algorithms, Adaptive - Modfication due to external need (take advantage of new hardware, software etc,,,
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry if I missed out any questions.
Reply 2
what did you write for last q
Which exam is this for because I still have an OCR exam on Wednesday?
Reply 4
Original post by OrionMusicNet
A lot of these answers had other alternatives. These are not all absolutes and in some cases you mayhave just worded things differently

1a. RAM volatile / Opposite for ROM, RAM memory contents erased when power to processor is switched off / Opposite for ROM. RAM memory contents can be changed / Opposite for ROM.
b. Data files currently in use. So that user can make changes to data files in use.,, Possibly could have said OS or applications but I am not sure of what your reasons would be.
ii. Boot program / Bootkit / Bootstrap. Needed as soon as power to processor switched on so must be stored in ROM and its memory contents are not erased after power to processor is switched off.
c. Optical Character Recognition. Shapes of individual characters from printout or written text are scanned optically. Shapes are compared with set of standard shapes in computers memory and so are used to match the shapes so the computer can determine what they are. Example = Document Reader for the blind
ii. Optical Mark Recognition. Position of mark equates with information. Document is scanned to find coordiantes of marks.. This is done by scanner mesuaring the reflected light off of the marks. Example = Multiple Choice Examination Marker.

2. Input device - Sensor - To measure temperature of tank. Anything sensible that is relevant will get you marks.
ii. Output Device - Screen - So operator can see the temperature and make adjustments,, Speaker - Beeps loudly if system fails and cannot change temperature so the owner knows to take the fish out.
ii. Storage Device - HDD - Stores OS or logs data of temperature input from sensor.

take 4 bits at a time from right to left (and add any 0's where necessary). Convert the 4 bits(nibbles) into denary equivalents to get hexadecimal value. You didn't have to say it but I think it was like 59 or something.

5. Single User OS - One user at a time allowed to use machine + Each user allocated with rights + User files kept separate
Mult-Tasking OS - More than one task simultaneously + Can be separated through use of windows + Processor will allocate certain amount of time to one task before moving onto the next + Tasks will have different priorities + e.g. Playing music while writing essay.
General points about Purpose of OS such providing a user interface for operator etc.. but that is most likely a smaller portion of the marks.

ii. What frequencies?, Error Correction Method, Flow control, Routing, Compression Type, File Type, Packet Size, Wired or Wireless? Copper cable or fiber optic?, Radio or Microwave? Many more I imagine as well.

7. Bit rate sensitivity - Streaming of videos to customers = Video streaming requires large amount of data + Video files are large and needed immediately + Means that data is time sensitive + Delays will interupt output / cause video to freeze or lag + High bitrate needed otherwise data becomes useless.
Downloading text or spreadsheet files for sales departments does not require a lot of data + Text or spreadsheet files small and not needed immediately + Data is not time sensitive + Bit rate is unimportant as file can take time to download + Bit rate is dependent on data being sent.

8. Some nonsense questions about bridges and gateways if I remember correctly. Not even in the spec.
b. Form Based - uses small amount of system resources and proccesing power + reduces mistakes on input through use of radio buttons and dropdown menus + Fairly easy to use + mouse only moves once important areas have been filled so ensures everything is filled out + many others I imagine but I don't have time to think about them
c. Command line - Interface where user types in commands for OS via a keyboard in order to perform particular task. + Allows more direct control of OS + Allows technician to access whole system
d. Menu Based Interface + (Maybe GUI but I decided not to) +Intuitive + Can be used by computer illiterate + Doesn't require experienced operator + Can allow for use of touch screen which may reduce damage caused by environment or young kids messing around.

9. File Handlers - Manage Data storage + Allow files to be manipulated (deleted,moved,renamed etc..) + Suitable example
ii. Hardware Drivers - Give instructions to OS for how to use a peripheral + It configures hardware + Suitable example (I went with a new printer needing communications protocol installed on OS and applied it to shop owner)
iii. Back up Utility - Automatically makes copies of important files + On several pieces of removable storage - Regular intervals + Should be incremental + If data is corrupted can be recovered + Suitable example (Files important to shop owner must be protected etc...)

10. Pretty much could have said anything that was valid so I am not going to bother.

Installation - Method of implementation / changeover + Training Plan devised + Hardware and software bought and installed + Technical Documentation produced + System tested with real data in actual conditions + Data reformatted

Corrective - To correct bugs and errors, Perfective - To improve performance of software possibly by tidying up code and switching lines with more efficient algorithms, Adaptive - Modfication due to external need (take advantage of new hardware, software etc,,,

is this all the questions
there was another question which was state the purpose of the PC MAR and MDR.

the binary question was convert 89 into a 8bit binary number, binary coded decimal and octal.

and yeah I didn't get the gateway and bridge questions, threw me off a bit, typical ocr...
Reply 6
What was the Question that usually is around 6 marks?
Reply 7
Sorry if I missed out any questions.

Heeyy, Can i ask you what the 6/8 marker was in this paper?
Reply 8
Heyy,
Original post by ourmodz
Heeyy, Can i ask you what the 6/8 marker was in this paper?

Something about how advances in technology have affected society. There was also one asking what an operating system was. Another one was about what sort of bitrate a video file or text file would need (high for video, low for text file) and you had to explain it using appropriate examples.
is this for gcse 2015
Reply 11
is this for gcse 2015
Reply 12

Is it for GCSE?
Original post by 6hrwte
Is it for GCSE?

No. It's for AS
Reply 14
Original post by 6hrwte
Is it for GCSE?

Thanks.

Do you know where I can find the GCSE Equivelant
is the first answer Ram volatile?

Quick Reply

Latest