The Student Room Group

Would it be possible for me to get all 9s? (mock results included)

Mock results:
French - 6 (Didn't revise)
Computer Science - 7
Maths - 7
English Literature - 7
Combined Science - 8/7
English Language - 8
Religious Education - 8
Geography - 9

For me the real problems are English Literature (AQA) which I consistently get an average grade, French (the tenses and conjugation are tricky to learn), Computer Science in which OCR reference language section is difficult for me and Biology (AQA) which I do significantly worse in compared to Physics and Chemistry. Any advice on how to overcome these problems or any general advice regarding any of my subjects would be great.

Edit: For every subject I was very close to getting the next grade up.
(edited 3 weeks ago)
It’s definitely possible to go up 2 grades between mocks and the real exams. For french do you do Duolingo or watch any french tv? Duolingo only takes about 20 minutes a day and you can watch your favourite shows dubbed into french (with subtitles if needed) so it doesn’t actually feel like work/revision
Original post by Piggy12
Mock results:
French - 6 (Didn't revise)
Computer Science - 7
Maths - 7
English Literature - 7
Combined Science - 8/7
English Language - 8
Religious Education - 8
Geography - 9
For me the real problems are English Literature (AQA) which I consistently get an average grade, French (the tenses and conjugation are tricky to learn), Computer Science in which OCR reference language section is difficult for me and Biology (AQA) which I do significantly worse in compared to Physics and Chemistry. Any advice on how to overcome these problems or any general advice regarding any of my subjects would be great.
Edit: For every subject I was very close to getting the next grade up.

I'm sure you are perfectly capable of getting a 9. Bear in mind that to get a 9 is also partly based on how well everyone else does.

For reference, I got all 9s (lit, lang, cs, chem, bio, Chinese, and history) aside from a 6 in physics and drama, a 7 in maths and a 4 in German.

I'm probably not the best person to give advice as I didn't revise for some subjects and left all the other subjects to revise for the night before, but I'll give you advice on what I did do/ should have done.

For bio, consolidate the textbook, look at the mark scheme, and do past papers.

For English Lit, I pre-wrote 3 stories for paper 1 Q5 that matched all the themes that had come up in the past and got them marked to full marks. I then only spent 20 minutes in the final exam making slight adjustments to my story. I also used the PEWHALE structure (point, evidence, why has the writer done this?, how does this make the reader feel?, link, evaluate (evaluate straight after evidence)). This is all for paper 1 bear in mind.

For CS, do past papers, consolidate the textbook, use flashcards, and look at the examiner's report and mark scheme.

If you need me to go into further detail with anything, let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest