AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1140
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
It's june 2002 paper, as it's written in the web link :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see!

Original post by gcsestuff
Thanks makes sense! Another good case of not reading the question properly. And unit 4 in the old syllabus included nuclear energy, some quite good questions in there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks man - would you mind linking me to that website? Might have a go at a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by frankiejayx
Would anyone mind explaining the concept of critical mass to me? For the fuel rods

It's the minimum amount of mass required for fission to keep occurring, I think it's something to do with the proportion of neutrons on the surface, if you're left with too few the nuclei aren't heavy enough to split. I think I'm right but I'm not 100% either. I'll take a photo of my old text book when I'm home

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I see!

Thanks man - would you mind linking me to that website? Might have a go at a few.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just google tom Reds blog. He has all the old papers for all units. He has a navigation bar at the top of his page.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1143
Would anyone mind explaining the concept of critical mass to me? For the fuel rods

Critical mass is the mass of fuel needed for a chain reaction to occur. In other words, the mass required for one neutron released from each fission event to cause at least one other fission reaction.

Below the critical mass, on average one fission event causes less than one more fission event (sounds stupid but if you imagine a large quantity of atoms it makes more sense).

At the critical mass, one fission event can lead to just one other fission event.

Above the critical mass, one fission event can go on to cause several more fission events.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1144
Just google tom Reds blog. He has all the old papers for all units. He has a navigation bar at the top of his page.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the minimum amount of mass required for fission to keep occurring, I think it's something to do with the proportion of neutrons on the surface, if you're left with too few the nuclei aren't heavy enough to split. I think I'm right but I'm not 100% either. I'll take a photo of my old text book when I'm home

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay Thank you :smile:
Original post by CD223
Critical mass is the mass of fuel needed for a chain reaction to occur. In other words, the mass required for one neutron released from each fission event to cause at least one other fission reaction.

Below the critical mass, on average one fission event causes less than one more fission event (sounds stupid but if you imagine a large quantity of atoms it makes more sense).

At the critical mass, one fission event can lead to just one other fission event.

Above the critical mass, one fission event can go on to cause several more fission events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!
Reply 1147
Thanks!

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qmCkSU7CU

I watched this set of videos, I thought he was quite good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1149
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qmCkSU7CU

I watched this set of videos, I thought he was quite good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's cool :smile:
are we expected to be able to derive the equations for the ideal gas laws and kinetic theory?
Hi does anyone know why there are no PHYA5 papers for the January set of papers in all the years on the AQA website? Theres papers for PHYA4 for Jan and June but for PHYA5 its only June?
I don't get why they did mc(30Tf) mc(30 - T_f) on the mark scheme. I get why they did mc(Tf3)mc(T_f - 3) As that's the difference between before and after temperature? At least I think.

Original post by Master Sam
Hi does anyone know why there are no PHYA5 papers for the January set of papers in all the years on the AQA website? Theres papers for PHYA4 for Jan and June but for PHYA5 its only June?

PHYA5 papers were only sat in summer, because it's the second unit of the year the idea was do phya4 for january then do phya5 for june :/ it's a pain now when we've hardly got any past papers!
Reply 1154
Original post by AR_95
are we expected to be able to derive the equations for the ideal gas laws and kinetic theory?

Yes, it's in the spec.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1155
Original post by dominicwild
I don't get why they did mc(30Tf) mc(30 - T_f) on the mark scheme. I get why they did mc(Tf3)mc(T_f - 3) As that's the difference between before and after temperature? At least I think.

In thermal equilibrium the cola reaches the same final temperature as the glass.

In other words, the rise in thermal energy of the cola equals the fall in thermal energy of the glass.

There is no net transfer of thermal energy beyond this point.

Rise in thermal energy of the cola as it warms up from 3.0 degrees Celsius to the final temperature:
[br]ΔQCola=mColacCola(Tf3)[br][br]{\Delta Q_{Cola}} = {m_{Cola}} {c_{Cola}} (T_f - 3)[br]

Loss of thermal energy of the glass as it cools from 30 degrees Celsius to the final temperature:
[br]ΔQGlass=mGlasscGlass(30Tf)[br][br]{\Delta Q_{Glass}} = {m_{Glass}} {c_{Glass}} (30 - T_f)[br]

Equating the two, as they're in thermal equilibrium gives:

[br]0.250×840×(Tf3)=0.200×4190×(30Tf)[br][br]0.250 \times 840 \times (T_f - 3) = 0.200 \times 4190 \times (30 - T_f)[br]

[br]Tf=8.41Co[br][br]\therefore T_f = 8.41 C^{o}[br]

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1156
What is smiley face meant to be???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1157
Original post by a.a.k
What is smiley face meant to be???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Huh? :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1158

I am seeing smiley face between questions and answers. Is it just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1159
Original post by a.a.k
I am seeing smiley face between questions and answers. Is it just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably - not quite sure where you're seeing them :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending