The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thechemistress
Haha, half the Cambridge thread is going to end up on here :lol:

At least we'll make this thread exciting! :lol:
does anyone know what % of people in the winter pool actually get offered places
Original post by crastle
does anyone know what % of people in the winter pool actually get offered places

Do you mean that get reallocated before interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
Do you mean that get reallocated before interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay maybe i dont understand pooling

I thought that if you have over 93%ums average then if you dont get accepted at your college you go into a pool so other colleges can accept you.

If thats the case then my question is what % of people that get put into this pool actually get taken on by a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by crastle

I thought that if you have over 93%ums average then if you dont get accepted at your college you go into a pool so other colleges can accept you.

If thats the case then my question is what % of people that get put into this pool actually get taken on by a college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt it depends on UMS, Oxford don't care about UMS as much as Cambridge
Everyone, I've made a general 2016 applicants thread here - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=56421493&highlight=
Has anyone been to The Queen's College open days? Or are they going to one?
Original post by crastle

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're thinking of Cambridge - Oxford don't ask for your UMS scores so only know them if you choose to put them. Before interview colleges shortlist candidates that should get an interview and if there are too many shortlisted for one college some will be redistributed to colleges that have less applicants, but they have the same chance of getting an offer - I was reallocated and got an offer and so were some of the people I met who got offers
After interview the candidates are scored and ranked and the top ones will get an offer regardless of college they applied to - so if there are thirty spaces, the top thirty people get an offer, and if they had all applied to the same college they would be spread around

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
You're thinking of Cambridge - Oxford don't ask for your UMS scores so only know them if you choose to put them. Before interview colleges shortlist candidates that should get an interview and if there are too many shortlisted for one college some will be redistributed to colleges that have less applicants, but they have the same chance of getting an offer - I was reallocated and got an offer and so were some of the people I met who got offers
After interview the candidates are scored and ranked and the top ones will get an offer regardless of college they applied to - so if there are thirty spaces, the top thirty people get an offer, and if they had all applied to the same college they would be spread around

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I remember from the thread earlier, you have an offer for Regent's right? What is it like there? It's one of the smaller colleges I've been thinking of :smile:
Original post by antigone-
If I remember from the thread earlier, you have an offer for Regent's right? What is it like there? It's one of the smaller colleges I've been thinking of :smile:

Yep well remembered:smile: it's a lovely little college, the atmosphere there is what made it so nice - everyone seemed so friendly and open, and while it's not a rich college the rooms are pretty nice and reasonably priced - you live out second year which I wasn't sure about at first but it sounds like quite a useful life experience! And third year you move back into college into apartments with your friends which sounds brill:smile: what subject are you thinking of applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naomi12
Yep well remembered:smile: it's a lovely little college, the atmosphere there is what made it so nice - everyone seemed so friendly and open, and while it's not a rich college the rooms are pretty nice and reasonably priced - you live out second year which I wasn't sure about at first but it sounds like quite a useful life experience! And third year you move back into college into apartments with your friends which sounds brill:smile: what subject are you thinking of applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

History and Politics, what course did you get an offer for?
It sounds lovely, I haven't been but it looks like a really pretty college. I don't know how I would feel about living out though, would the Uni help you find somewhere?
Reply 811
Hey everyone :smile:
I'd love to apply to Oxford for History, but who knows what results day will bring :redface:
GCSEs: 11A*s
AS Levels: History, RS, Latin, French and German (not sure which ones I'll keep for A2) and going to do the EPQ
Tbh, not really sure if Oxford would be for me. I know there's no stereotypical Oxford student, but I'm not at all competitive and perhaps just too nice/immature/naïve for such a competitive university? :colondollar: (if that makes sense...!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lucyx
Hey everyone :smile:
I'd love to apply to Oxford for History, but who knows what results day will bring :redface:
GCSEs: 11A*s
AS Levels: History, RS, Latin, French and German (not sure which ones I'll keep for A2)
Tbh, not really sure if Oxford would be for me. I know there's no stereotypical Oxford student, but I'm not at all competitive and perhaps just too nice/immature/naïve for such a competitive university? :colondollar: (if that makes sense...!)

I'm thinking of History too (History and Politics), and you sound like a very likely applicant :smile:
What college are you thinking of?
Reply 813
I'm thinking of History too (History and Politics), and you sound like a very likely applicant :smile:
What college are you thinking of?

Ah thanks :smile:
Haven't really done any research yet, but I'd be interested in a central one which is quite large as I'm very sociable :smile:
How about you?
Reply 814
Original post by crastle

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford don't pool like Cambridge so much as shift people around. If you get to interview, you may be reallocated to a new main college. The interviewers or people making the decision aren't supposed to know that you've been reallocated or something, so it makes no difference to your chances of getting an offer, they just want to spread it out so that the most people can be interviewed in the time they have. Then, depending on how your subject does it, you might get an additional interview at another college. If your college doesn't make you an offer, they might, or you might get an open offer underwritten by a specific college (when someone doesn't meet the entrance requirements, you'll effectively take their place, but if less people miss than are made open offers the college underwriting your offer will take you).
Original post by lucyx
Ah thanks :smile:
Haven't really done any research yet, but I'd be interested in a central one which is quite large as I'm very sociable :smile:
How about you?

I'm really torn - Brasenose, St Johns and Balliol are lovely but smaller ones like Regents seem nice too
Balliol is one of the more central ones if that helps :biggrin:
Reply 816
I'm really torn - Brasenose, St Johns and Balliol are lovely but smaller ones like Regents seem nice too
Balliol is one of the more central ones if that helps :biggrin:

Yeah it's so difficult to choose as, from the little I know, they all seem so nice :biggrin:
Which other unis are you thinking of?
I don't think that I can demonstrate my intelligence in exams, thus I am worried that I won't get in . . . Does anyone have any advice? :frown:
Original post by lucyx
Yeah it's so difficult to choose as, from the little I know, they all seem so nice :biggrin:
Which other unis are you thinking of?

LSE, Warwick, QMs, King's, Royal Holloway, Essex (need to decide which two out of the last four I should pick)
You?
Original post by Edminzodo
I don't think that I can demonstrate my intelligence in exams, thus I am worried that I won't get in . . . Does anyone have any advice? :frown:

Do you mean you don't think your grades will be great? I'm sure you'll be fine but even so I wouldn't worry, just focus on making a really good PS and trying to prepare for any entrance exams they may want you to do :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending