The Student Room Group

How to dress smart casual?

I've been offered a job (yay!) and the induction is in a few days. The dress code is smart casual but I'm not too sure what to wear because I don't want to look TOO casual and I don't have much smart clothing. This is my first job so I've no idea how inductions work or anything, and I obviously want to make a good impression. Does anyone have any outfit ideas please?
If in doubt, wear a suit.
Wear formal/casual shirt with black jeans and brogues
Reply 3
Original post by Mactotaur
If in doubt, wear a suit.

I don't actually own a suit and I probably should have mentioned it's only a part time job in a shop, so I don't think that's expected of me?
Original post by Lasagneee
I don't actually own a suit and I probably should have mentioned it's only a part time job in a shop, so I don't think that's expected of me?

Ah. No, a suit might be a little excessive in that case. Gladiator makes a good point above.
Basically anything you'd wear as part of a suit, minus the tie and jacket.

So shirts alone or shirt under a smart jumper. Black trousers or jeans. Smart shoes likes brogues, or at a stretch, clean black converse.
Reply 6
Original post by Gladiator12345
Wear formal/casual shirt with black jeans and brogues

I was thinking about black jeans but wasn't sure if that was too casual? I've read around a bit and people always say to wear smart black trousers but I don't own any (yet)
Reply 7
Black Jeans are too casual, wear a skirt or trousers or something else that is a bit more formal.

As said before, shirt (without tie) + trousers/skirt or smart jumper + shirt + trousers/skirt = smart casual.
Reply 8
Original post by Aivicore
Basically anything you'd wear as part of a suit, minus the tie and jacket.

So shirts alone or shirt under a smart jumper. Black trousers or jeans. Smart shoes likes brogues, or at a stretch, clean black converse.

Would a blazer be suitable? The casual soft jacket ones you can get, because I do have a black one? And I would have worn flats, because I hate brogues haha
I was thinking about black jeans but wasn't sure if that was too casual? I've read around a bit and people always say to wear smart black trousers but I don't own any (yet)

Its not casual it all depends on your top if you wear a nice shirt then it will be smart/casual
Would a blazer be suitable? The casual soft jacket ones you can get, because I do have a black one? And I would have worn flats, because I hate brogues haha

Sure!

I feel ya, I don't like them either but they're acceptable. :p:
What does everyone else wear?
Chinos, shirt and a jumper/cardigan or a waistcoat.
You're female so **** knows :dontknow:
Reply 14
Sure!

I feel ya, I don't like them either but they're acceptable. :p:

When I actually start working I have to wear leather shoes that cover my whole foot, and everyone is suggesting brogues which is my worst nightmare haha. But my only other option is the kinda shoes older ladies wear, like the slip on ones :frown:
When I actually start working I have to wear leather shoes that cover my whole foot, and everyone is suggesting brogues which is my worst nightmare haha. But my only other option is the kinda shoes older ladies wear, like the slip on ones :frown:

Ahh that sucks, I had to do that when I worked at the co-op, though my boss didn't notice sometimes if I wore black flats with black socks instead.

If you wear jeans / black trousers, ankle boots tucked under could work? Like these.
Reply 16
Ahh that sucks, I had to do that when I worked at the co-op, though my boss didn't notice sometimes if I wore black flats with black socks instead.

If you wear jeans / black trousers, ankle boots tucked under could work? Like these.

I'm on checkouts so no one will even see my feet! But I never thought of boots, will have a look for some later, thank you for your help!
Glad the film and game industry dont have dress codes lol
I've been offered a job (yay!) and the induction is in a few days. The dress code is smart casual but I'm not too sure what to wear because I don't want to look TOO casual and I don't have much smart clothing. This is my first job so I've no idea how inductions work or anything, and I obviously want to make a good impression. Does anyone have any outfit ideas please?

I have to wear smart-casual every day for school, so my go-to outfit is generally a nice, knee-length or just above the knee dress with a blazer. You could also grab hold of a black pencil skirt, black tights, plain white t-shirt and a blazer, or even smart black jeans and a blazer

Quick Reply

Latest