The Student Room Group

First day on new job , what to wear?

So I’m starting s new job soon. At the induction , since I have no uniform yet , I have been asked to dress smart/ casual .

I’m concerned I might rock up wearing the wrong thing . After all ones man’s smart casual, to others may just be real casual .

I’m thinking about just wearing a suit , rather than risk it. Am I overthinking this ? What would you peeps do if you were in my position ?
Reply 1
I’m due to start a new job soon and since I don’t have a uniform, they have said to me to wear smart casual in the interim. Not sure what exactly is smart casual. I’m concerned about rocking up underdressed and making the wrong impression.

Maybe it’s just better to just wear a suit? What would you guys do ?
I would probably wear a button down shirt , a sweater, and some chinos or jeans. I wouldn't wear trainers, but good sneakers should be fine. Just look professional.
As above, smart casual id go nice shirt with chinos & maybe a jumper
Reply 4
id say a shirt, trousers and smart shoes, add a smart ish jumper or tie if you want to be a bit more formal, a suit would probably class as formal rather than smart casual
i would wear a long sleeved collared top, trousers that aren't jeans, and smart shoes (not tennis shoes) :smile:
Original post by NewJobStarter
So I’m starting s new job soon. At the induction , since I have no uniform yet , I have been asked to dress smart/ casual .

I’m concerned I might rock up wearing the wrong thing . After all ones man’s smart casual, to others may just be real casual .

I’m thinking about just wearing a suit , rather than risk it. Am I overthinking this ? What would you peeps do if you were in my position ?

If you want to be safe would recommend to go for a suit but maybe keep the tie off as this can be seen as more casual? Been in a similar position myself and main advice is not to worry, go with what you feel is best and if they think its too much then easy to rectify!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending