The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC4 Core 4 - 9th June 2015 [Discussion & unofficial markscheme]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jimmy20002012
Wonder what the differential in context will be one this time it's always either ever on paintings or bacteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or money in a bank or footballers wages.
Reply 1221
Done four past papers today in preparation for tomorrow's exam. I'm just going to brush up on any lose info in my revision guide. Not much more I can do. All the best for tomorrow people!
Original post by saeed97
New technological advancement has just been released which you could use to find it. Heres the link: google.co.uk

uwotm9?
Original post by saeed97
New technological advancement has just been released which you could use to find it. Heres the link: google.co.uk

Yeah I could look at it individually but people in the past have made spreadsheets with just past C4 grade boundaries, also learn to hyperlink.
Super easy way to approach Vector questions are diagrams. Makes them so much easier.
Can picture what lengths you are trying to find, where angles are, etc.
Original post by Mudkipzz
Yeah I could look at it individually but people in the past have made spreadsheets with just past C4 grade boundaries, also learn to hyperlink.

Sorry, im obviously not skilled in the art of forum hyperlinking.
Original post by datpr0
uwotm9?

u wunt sum? i'll giv it 2 u
Original post by saeed97
Or money in a bank or footballers wages.

there was one on a colony of rats
Original post by RhyaCeri
there was one on a colony of rats

Eh, vermin... bacteria... same difference.

Kappa
Reply 1229
Differential equation is the rate of forum posts on TSR is inversely proportional to time after the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saeed97
u wunt sum? i'll giv it 2 u

gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8
Excuse me, but can one of you explain how to do question 7 on this paper?
I know what the answer is, but I don't know how to get there.
Reply 1232
Do we get any marks if we made one or two slips, like signs ?? Because its so easy to make silly mistakes in C4 :frown:
How many method marks can we get max???
Original post by Plasmapause
Excuse me, but can one of you explain how to do question 7 on this paper?
I know what the answer is, but I don't know how to get there.

Excellent description from datpr0 earlier in the thread:

Basically it's modelling the change in height of the tide over a period of time (i.e. rate of change of the height of the tide) as a cosine graph, whereby the maximum and minimum values for this are 1.3 and -1.3 (dh/dt = +/- 1.3).

From the question you know: dh/dt = acos(kt).

From a cosine graph you know that the maximum and minimum points occur at 1 and -1 respectively (i.e. cos = 1 or -1). Therefore a = 1.3 or -1.3. You can consider this as a stretch parallel to the y-axis of SF 1.3 if you like.

k is adjacent to the t in the model and t is being measured on the x-axis. You know the period of a cosine graph is 2pi and the tides occur every 12 hours (i.e. t = 12). This means that k becomes 2pi/12 in order to cancel with the 12 introduced through t so that you end up with cos(2pi) not cos(12).
I know this may sound stupid but how do you integrate this quickly ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433791146.300579.jpg
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2014_GCSE
Excellent description from datpr0 earlier in the thread:

Basically it's modelling the change in height of the tide over a period of time (i.e. rate of change of the height of the tide) as a cosine graph, whereby the maximum and minimum values for this are 1.3 and -1.3 (dh/dt = +/- 1.3).

From the question you know: dh/dt = acos(kt).

From a cosine graph you know that the maximum and minimum points occur at 1 and -1 respectively (i.e. cos = 1 or -1). Therefore a = 1.3 or -1.3. You can consider this as a stretch parallel to the y-axis of SF 1.3 if you like.

k is adjacent to the t in the model and t is being measured on the x-axis. You know the period of a cosine graph is 2pi and the tides occur every 12 hours (i.e. t = 12). This means that k becomes 2pi/12 in order to cancel with the 12 introduced through t so that you end up with cos(2pi) not cos(12).

Thanks!
Original post by gloria0816
I know this may sound stupid but how do you integrate this quickly ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433791146.300579.jpg
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine. That's equivalent to 1/2 x y^-1/2, so you just integrate from there (it becomes y^1/2).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by gloria0816
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

1/2rootY is equal to 1/2(y^-1/2)
So integrates to y^1/2 or root Y
Original post by datpr0
gr8 b8 m8 I r8 8/8

thnx m(7+1)
Original post by datpr0
It's fine. That's equivalent to 1/2 x y^-1/2, so you just integrate from there (it becomes 1/4 x y^1/2).

You've done 1/2 x 1/2. It's 1/2 / 1/2

so it's y^1/2

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending