The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Can someone help me with special relativity.

I always thought that t0 was the time recorded by someone observing an event and t for someone travelling with the event.

I get some questions right and then some wrong. It's so depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gcsestuff
Can someone help me with special relativity.

I always thought that t0 was the time recorded by someone observing an event and t for someone travelling with the event.

I get some questions right and then some wrong. It's so depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's true, what's wrong with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
That's true, what's wrong with that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it the same for l0 and l as well as m0 and m?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by betbi3etwerrd
I think you're mistaken :biggrin:

Completely ignore that I know they do I know the mass like the back of my bloody hand FGS!!!
Original post by tom-physics
did you mean mass defect?

Yes
Original post by Dante991
I know an A* Is roughly about 52 out of 75, but what is 120(full) UMS? I did really well in PHYA4, so I want to do as best as possible to achieve an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's 58 out of 75 for full UMS
Theoretically yes but once a nuclide is fissioned then the nuclides formed require a huge amount of energy to be fused together as the electrostatic repulsion between the protons of each nuclide doesn't allow the nuclides fuse as the nuclides would have to be so close together for the strong nuclear force to "grab" them together

Posted from TSR Mobile

And that's why they fissioned in the first place?
Original post by gcsestuff
Is it the same for l0 and l as well as m0 and m?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good point. For M0 and L0 these are measurements of the uniformly moving object made when they are stationary. So for example the mass of a uniformly moving objects is greater than its own mass when it's stationary and has nothing to with the mass of the observer. The same with L0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991
I know an A* Is roughly about 52 out of 75, but what is 120(full) UMS? I did really well in PHYA4, so I want to do as best as possible to achieve an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surely A* is not 52/75... Do you mean A?
Original post by Sbarron
And that's why they fissioned in the first place?

Quite so but not necessarily. Because, for example, two hydrogen atoms joined together are so stable that they wouldn't decay. But if you separated them then joining them would be something of a challenge

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sbarron
Yes

then yea thats right
Quite so but not necessarily. Because, for example, two hydrogen atoms joined together are so stable that they wouldn't decay. But if you separated them then joining them would be something of a challenge

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think if I learn everything in the cgp book on fusion, fission and binding energy that would be enough or do you really need to understand it in depth... Are we likely to get a 6 mark question on it?
Original post by Sbarron
Do you think if I learn everything in the cgp book on fusion, fission and binding energy that would be enough or do you really need to understand it in depth... Are we likely to get a 6 mark question on it?

If you learn everything about them on the book then yeah that would be enough, though i don't know whether the CGP book provides all the details required by the specification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QueNNch
That's 58 out of 75 for full UMS

I have to get 112 ucas points for a B THATS GOING TO BE NEXT to impossible for me!!
Original post by ASDuh97
Predictions for 6 marker on Astro?

I'm thinking either Hydrogen Balmer or something on Standard Candles...
Hi everyone, what do you think the 6 marker will be on? It's probably helpful to revise the topic that is likely to come up because we all predicted the 6 marker in PHYA4 was SHM and although this wasn't the case it was still useful to revise for question 1!
Original post by Sbarron
I have to get 112 ucas points for a B THATS GOING TO BE NEXT to impossible for me!!

Why? did you lose marks in units 1/2/4?
Also don't be too bothered by your coursework mark it's only like 20% of A2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by betbi3etwerrd
Surely A* is not 52/75... Do you mean A?

Yes last year's boundaries were:
58 for 100%
52 for A*
46 for A
41 for B

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending