The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by xela238
Does that to change anything?

Sorry what's an R paper?
I've got pretty much the whole unit (section A and B, astro) left to revise (I'm a moron). I've so far found that the CGP revision book (not the one linked in the OP but I think it's exactly the same?) isn't great at all for A2 physics - it doesn't go into much depth and I've found that I don't really understand stuff (and I can't answer questions) when I've used it (it was brilliant for AS though!)

I really need an in-depth revision resource so I can get everything done ASAP so I can do some past papers. I've been looking at the online revision guide linked in the OP and I did use it for some of unit 4, but since it's a free resource I'm not really sure. So I was just wondering if anyone that's used it could give me some advice - is it useful and really accurate, and could I use it as my main source of revision? If I go through the whole guide can I expect to know all the content?

Any other revision resources or tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Original post by lukejamo
Do we need to know how to fully derive pV = 1/3 N m (Crms)^2

yes
Reply 2063
Original post by betbi3etwerrd
Can I ask what unit this is for ?

Turning points - option D
Original post by lukejamo
Do we need to know how to fully derive pV = 1/3 N m (Crms)^2?

I have. There was one question during past papers that it was useful for. Definitely something you'll regret not learning if it does come up!
Original post by JordanL_
I've got pretty much the whole unit (section A and B, astro) left to revise (I'm a moron). I've so far found that the CGP revision book (not the one linked in the OP but I think it's exactly the same?) isn't great at all for A2 physics - it doesn't go into much depth and I've found that I don't really understand stuff (and I can't answer questions) when I've used it (it was brilliant for AS though!)

I really need an in-depth revision resource so I can get everything done ASAP so I can do some past papers. I've been looking at the online revision guide linked in the OP and I did use it for some of unit 4, but since it's a free resource I'm not really sure. So I was just wondering if anyone that's used it could give me some advice - is it useful and really accurate, and could I use it as my main source of revision? If I go through the whole guide can I expect to know all the content?

Any other revision resources or tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Try CD223 guide on the first page, really useful
Original post by roar96
All it means is we'll have a different paper from the one that was originally intended for us....

We shouldn't see a difference apart from the letter R on the paper's code. Don't know why everyone seems to think it's such a big thing!

I think its because they've quickly had to remake an exam. Usually they have exams prepared much in advance and checked frequently. I guess the perception is that the paper may be harder/abnormal as it hasn't been as thoroughly looked over and assessed to be suitable?

I remember Edexcel for maths, I think two years ago, had some dilemma and made a crazy hard paper, with crazy low grade boundaries.
Just found a question on a past paper asking to use the answer from the question above (find Hubble constant) to estimate the age of the Universe??? How?? Pretty sure I haven't been taught this at all!
What's everyone's predictions for the 6 marker?
Reply 2069
Original post by simpletech668
Just found a question on a past paper asking to use the answer from the question above (find Hubble constant) to estimate the age of the Universe??? How?? Pretty sure I haven't been taught this at all!

I believe you have to convert hubbles constant into it's SI units and then do 1/hubbles constant... not too sure though but it popped up somewhere in the cgp book

combine s=d/t with v=hd for the speed of light
Requires some annoying unit conversions
this paper is so easy 65/75 at least
Original post by dominicwild
I think its because they've quickly had to remake an exam. Usually they have exams prepared much in advance and checked frequently. I guess the perception is that the paper may be harder/abnormal as it hasn't been as thoroughly looked over and assessed to be suitable?

I remember Edexcel for maths, I think two years ago, had some dilemma and made a crazy hard paper, with crazy low grade boundaries.

This is true. Although I've always assumed that the second paper must be created at the same time as the first?

There's a chance a question will be wrong and you'll end up with lower boundaries whether it's an original or R paper. I suppose if the second hasn't been looked through as thoroughly it may have more chance of a mistake.

I highly doubt they 'rush' to get this second paper ready... if it was a 3rd paper i'd see why everyone was worried but given that they always have a 2nd, reserve paper I don't see the fuss.

All the same, we shouldn't really see a difference on the day just might end up lucky with boundaries :smile:
Original post by gcsestuff
We don't need to know it just that time goes slower for the moving object

Posted from TSR Mobile

So if a twin was going on a journey the twin who went on the rocket to a distant planet would be older since they have accelerated and de- accelerated hence are not in an inertial frame of reference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really struggle to draw a refracting telescope at normal adjustment my lenses always end up huge on the page!!!! Any tips on what order to draw it in??

V=Hd so H=v/d which is just speed over distance, which equals 1/t, so to find t (the age of the universe) it is just 1/H. But remember to convert the units from km/s/Mpc to seconds, you'll know if you're right if you get an answer about 13/14 billion years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by betbi3etwerrd
Someone give me a breakdown on how I should give S.F in questions which they have not asked for appropriate number of S.F

2 or 3. If it doesn't say appropriate number they can't dock marks for you making it longer than this, but to 1 sf might round it so much it's no longer the correct answer really and longer wastes time writing it down. They have said (somewhere, I was reading the spec or an examiners report or something like that) that 2 or 3 sf will always be acceptable. Although if you get one of those questions "show that such and such = this" then you might have to round further to get their answer because sometimes those are only to 1sf.
Original post by Disney0702
I believe we will be getting the R paper because I just heard that the AQA Biology students got an R paper

We will most certainly be getting the replacement paper
Original post by Sbarron
I really struggle to draw a refracting telescope at normal adjustment my lenses always end up huge on the page!!!! Any tips on what order to draw it in??

Grrr it's really annoying me... Now the magnifying lense is bigger than the objective lens!!!!! Help please
Original post by Aman.1
I believe you have to convert hubbles constant into it's SI units and then do 1/hubbles constant... not too sure though but it popped up somewhere in the cgp book

Original post by 000alex
combine s=d/t with v=hd for the speed of light
Requires some annoying unit conversions

Thanks, never got taught that, hopefully it won't turn up again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending