The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CreamyRoss
V=Hd so H=v/d which is just speed over distance, which equals 1/t, so to find t (the age of the universe) it is just 1/H. But remember to convert the units from km/s/Mpc to seconds, you'll know if you're right if you get an answer about 13/14 billion years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot, makes sense now!
Original post by roar96
This is true. Although I've always assumed that the second paper must be created at the same time as the first?

There's a chance a question will be wrong and you'll end up with lower boundaries whether it's an original or R paper. I suppose if the second hasn't been looked through as thoroughly it may have more chance of a mistake.

I highly doubt they 'rush' to get this second paper ready... if it was a 3rd paper i'd see why everyone was worried but given that they always have a 2nd, reserve paper I don't see the fuss.

All the same, we shouldn't really see a difference on the day just might end up lucky with boundaries :smile:

It was the perception from the media that, AQA had to literally re-write the papers within a very short timespan.

"“There’s nothing to indicate that [the van] was targeted for the papers or that any of them have come to light. However, we don’t leave anything to chance, so as soon as we knew about it, we contacted our senior examiners and asked them to write some brand-new papers,” an AQA spokesman said."

Which gives the impression they didn't have a back-up paper?

There is more chance of a mistake, yeah. The problem I would potentially see is that, the paper may just be a lot harder. Since they usually have to assess the realistic difficulty of the questions. So we may have a bunch of difficult questions, conversely, we may also have the easiest questions in the universe.

I'm not really too fussed about it either. However it effects it us, noticeable or not, grade boundaries are determined in such a way to make that effect irrelevant anyways.
Could Anyone help with June 2011 4c please?? I dont understand the markscheme
what is a R paper?
Do we need to know much about argon and carbon dating?
I feel so unprepared for this exam especially considering how hard I found physics 4 :frown:
I don't understand this s=r(theta) formula!
Doesn't r stand for radius and s for the distance to the object? :/
Think i found a issue with a previous past paper, in june 2011, q 4a, the units for the heat capacity involves kelvin, however, the method in the mark scheme uses degrees Celsius
Original post by max4078
this paper is so easy 65/75 at least

all right big man
Original post by simpletech668
I feel so unprepared for this exam especially considering how hard I found physics 4 :frown:

Second this, feel like I know nothing! :frown:
Anyone doing option 3 applied physics? Is there any good resources apart from the Collins book and Teacher guide? I learnt all of this myself but annoyed that the Text book doesnt have the options units. Specifically the thermodynamics and engines part.
Original post by Exams12343
Think i found a issue with a previous past paper, in june 2011, q 4a, the units for the heat capacity involves kelvin, however, the method in the mark scheme uses degrees Celsius

kelvin and Celsius both go up by the same amount, so if they're working out a difference in temp it doesn't matter which one you use
Original post by Exams12343

The formula Q=mc(change in )T. So it doesn't matter if you do it in kelvin or Celsius as the difference between them are the same.
I put so much effort into unit 4 and smashed it but neglected unit 5 lol, unit 4 is so much better
Original post by EHR223
all right big man

Looooool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, I'm a private candidate and have been studying from home. I've learned the whole Unit 5 syllabus and have practiced all the past paper exams because I'm not quite sure which papers I'm supposed to take and why there are so many?:| If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be great because I think I've probably covered more than I needed to?
Original post by InNeedOfHelpASAP
Hi guys, I'm a private candidate and have been studying from home. I've learned the whole Unit 5 syllabus and have practiced all the past paper exams because I'm not quite sure which papers I'm supposed to take and why there are so many?:| If anyone could steer me in the right direction, that would be great because I think I've probably covered more than I needed to?

You take the thermal/nuclear topic and one of the optional topics (applied/astro etc).
Original post by saad97
I don't understand this s=r(theta) formula!
Doesn't r stand for radius and s for the distance to the object? :/

Take theta in radians, multiply by r, r being radius, you get arc length. arc length being whatever letter you want
Original post by Smelfas
You take the thermal/nuclear topic and one of the optional topics (applied/astro etc).

Thank you!:smile:
PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ME ANSWER THIS QUESTION

I get 237.9688u,87.72405u, 4.03468u respectively for the masses but these seem to be greater than on the mark scheme and i can't understand why??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending