The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2120
Original post by slaven123
Explanation of how to convert from apparent magnitude to brightness? Its something to do with 2.5^x???

Apparent magnitude to intensity you mean? What sort of question have you seen that relates the two?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me with June 2013 4(b)(iii) about gas
any idea of definitions we need to know for section A? loads came up last year and I didn't know any of them haha
Original post by DannySmith420
Can anyone help me with June 2013 4(b)(iii) about gas

You just have to use n=PV/RT again but with the new values, then multiply n by the molar mass given to you in the previous question.
Original post by CD223
Apparent magnitude to intensity you mean? What sort of question have you seen that relates the two?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No brightness. Question 2b(ii) on june 2010.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-2-A-W-QP-JUN10.PDF
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

How many times brighter one star is than another is 2.5^(delta m)
I asked before if we need to know this but nobody knows
Hey, would anyone be able to post how to derive the kinetic theory model as how they would want you write it in an answer? I just want to learn it so I can nail it if it comes up :smile:
Original post by 000alex
How many times brighter one star is that another is 2.5^(delta m)

Ahh okay. They've asked about it before so I guess you do need to know it
Reply 2128
No brightness. Question 2b(ii) on june 2010.
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-2-A-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

All you need to know is that each magnitude difference represents a change of 10015100^{\frac{1}{5}}.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2129
Original post by 000alex
How many times brighter one star is than another is 2.5^(delta m)

It's not exactly 2.5 - it's the fifth root of 100. Might sound stupid but when multiplying by large numbers it can give you the incorrect answer easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
All you need to know is that each magnitude difference represents a change of 10015100^{\frac{1}{5}}.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A change of what though? Intensity, brightness...?
Reply 2131
A change of what though? Intensity, brightness...?

"Brightness". Although equally I've seen them use intensity just as much before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
It's not exactly 2.5 - it's the fifth root of 100. Might sound stupid but when multiplying by large numbers it can give you the incorrect answer easily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The markscheme only used 2.5 so idk
Reply 2133
Original post by 000alex
The markscheme only used 2.5 so idk

I'd just be careful. The mark schemes are so inconsistent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
"Brightness". Although equally I've seen them use intensity just as much before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, cheers. I think I get that now.
What does the first minimum in electron diffraction represent ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone know why during electron diffraction the deflection is purely down to diffraction and not the positively charged nuclei affecting the paths of the electrons?
does anyone have a list of all the keywords and their definitions that we need for nuclear&thermal section
Original post by coqthepoliceman
does anyone have a list of all the keywords and their definitions that we need for nuclear&thermal section

Try the book glossary lol?
Reply 2139
Original post by gcsestuff
What does the first minimum in electron diffraction represent ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Electrons behave like waves with a de Broglie wavelength - this minimum represents where destructive interference first takes place where beams superpose on top of one another (see unit 2 notes). All you need to know is that the first minimum is where sinθ=1.22λD\sin \theta = \frac{1.22 \lambda}{D}.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending