The Student Room Group

Private Candidates and Coursework

Hi there guys,

I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable on Private Candidates could help me out. I'm looking to take History and Economics (Edexcel preferably) as a Private Candidate next year.
There are plenty of exam centers that will take me for the exam side of my History course but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere that will internally mark the coursework that comes with Edexcel A2 History.
Is there anyway round this or am I best off picking another subject?

Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by BAMitsAsh
I was wondering if anyone knowledgeable on Private Candidates could help me out. I'm looking to take History and Economics (Edexcel preferably) as a Private Candidate next year.
There are plenty of exam centers that will take me for the exam side of my History course but I'm having a hard time finding somewhere that will internally mark the coursework that comes with Edexcel A2 History.
Is there anyway round this or am I best off picking another subject?

Are you planning on completing the whole A level next year?

If you want to take History A level then you have 2 choices. I beleive that History with the CCEA board has no coursework. The downside is that this is the N Ireland Board and not that many English centres are registered with them. The alternative is to take it with AQA. They mark external candidates' coursework so the centre doesn't have to, but you still need to find someone reputable who is familiar with your style and abilities in History (e.g. a tutor) to verify the coursework as your own work.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
Are you planning on completing the whole A level next year?

If you want to take History A level then you have 2 choices. I believe that History with the CCEA board has no coursework. The downside is that this is the N Ireland Board and not that many English centers are registered with them. The alternative is to take it with AQA. They mark external candidates' coursework so the center doesn't have to, but you still need to find someone reputable who is familiar with your style and abilities in History (e.g. a tutor) to verify the coursework as your own work.

Thanks for getting back to me. Since I posted this I have been looking at the AQA course and agree with you that is probably my best bet. I will most likely be doing it over the suggested two years as I will also be working a job alongside my studies.
Now I realize that I need to adjust to the new way in which exams are done, after two years of studying unless I'm mistaken.

Anyway once again, thanks for your response, it is greatly appreciated!
Reply 3
Original post by BAMitsAsh
Thanks for getting back to me. Since I posted this I have been looking at the AQA course and agree with you that is probably my best bet. I will most likely be doing it over the suggested two years as I will also be working a job alongside my studies.
Now I realize that I need to adjust to the new way in which exams are done, after two years of studying unless I'm mistaken

If you don't want to complete the A level in 2016 then it's not just the way the exams are done that is changing but the course itself. I haven't looked at the new History specification, but in general coursework has been cut to a minimum so you may well find that there is none in the new History specification.
Reply 4
Hi mate im gonna start an online course to finish history a level. just wondering if you found a centre to hand in your coursework and where it was?

Quick Reply

Latest