The Student Room Group

Old further maths special papers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Necrofantasia
Teeem, how old are your cats?

Puss (the black female turned 18 in April )
Ginge (the ginger tabby turned 13, in March)
Which questions do you think are hardest out of the Old Special?
Reply 42
Original post by Necrofantasia
Which questions do you think are hardest out of the Old Special?

I am lost ...
any question/topic has potential to be hard
Original post by TeeEm
Further Maths Special Paper, London Board, Spec D, 1979, Q10

Do you have the syllabuses for these papers? A couple of the questions are the same standard as the stuff you'd get in further maths today (but my understanding is that the topics weren't necessarily on the A-Level syllabus?)
Reply 44
Original post by shamika
Do you have the syllabuses for these papers? A couple of the questions are the same standard as the stuff you'd get in further maths today (but my understanding is that the topics weren't necessarily on the A-Level syllabus?)

I do not have syllabi

The special papers were the "A star" of their day and not quite the AEA or STEP of today,
In those days the syllabi was very broad (as much as twice of what you you are typically taught today for an equivalent qualification) and the typical questions on the standard papers were harder than today so a little extension like the specials were merely saying you are a just a bit above the rest (as the A* does)
Reply 45
I will pause the uploading of the Special Further Maths Papers for the moment (I hope not to the relief of many) as the papers that pre-date these need formatting first and I have no time at present.
I hope to resume if people are still interested next year.

Hope you found some interesting questions ...
thanks
My attempt at a solution to 1987 - Q10, if anyone's interested:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
My solution to 1987 - Q9 [part (i) only]

Spoiler

(I'll add my solution to part (ii) later once I've gotten around to doing it)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending