The Student Room Group

St Dominic's Sixth form College

hi guys i'm in year 11 rn and have just been accepted into the sixth forms for st doms and the school i'm currently doing my gcses at and am predicted ten grade 9s and one grade 8. for anyone who's at st doms right now, how is it? i've heard mixed reviews but i loved how the school looked, the way it was organised, the independence and how friendly all the staff and students were when i went to its open evening.
i really want to get into oxford and get 4A*s in my a levels to do astrophysics. my a-level choices rn are physics, maths, further maths and computer science so if any of you are studying these at st doms, how are the departments and how good is the teaching for each overall?
thanks sm :smile:
(edited 10 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm studying Maths, Physics Chemistry at the moment and i can tell you that they are very hard subjects, but not as hard as many people intended, I mainly got grades 6-8 in my GCSE's and I'm finding them ok, but i believe you should find them much easier with your grades, besides, it's more based on effort and independent learning, so you should spend 1.5 hours outside of school for every hour you spend inside of school doing revision, and that excludes homework unfortunately, however, with those grades, I believe you can easily do 4 A Levels.
Reply 2
ah thank you!! how is physics? i hear it's one of the hardest of the STEM a-levels to do which is pretty intimidating but hopefully it's not too bad good luck for your a-levels :smile:
Original post by nayana_s
ah thank you!! how is physics? i hear it's one of the hardest of the STEM a-levels to do which is pretty intimidating but hopefully it's not too bad good luck for your a-levels :smile:

It depends on the person, So far, It is my Easiest A Level and I'm working at a B, But I believe it should become much harder for Year 13. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion and say Physics is easy, but so far, it has gone well for me. Another thing is that many schools decide when to teach certain topics, for example, Mechanics may be taught in September in some schools and February in others.
hi guys i'm in year 11 rn and have just been accepted into the sixth forms for st doms and nower hill (the school i'm currently doing my gcses at) and am predicted ten grade 9s and one grade 8. for anyone who's at st doms right now, how is it? i haven't heard the best thing but i loved how the school looked and the way it was organised when i went to its open evening.
i really want to get into oxford and get 4A*s in my a levels to do astrophysics. my a-level choices rn are physics, maths, further maths and computer science so if any of you are studying these at st doms, how are the departments and how good is the teaching for each overall?
thanks sm :smile:

Hey, I'm studying pretty much the same things as you (changing CS for chem) and it's very nice there! The teachers are good (the best I've had so far), and the work is interesting.
Reply 5
Original post by Motorway Gaming
It depends on the person, So far, It is my Easiest A Level and I'm working at a B, But I believe it should become much harder for Year 13. I wouldn't jump to a conclusion and say Physics is easy, but so far, it has gone well for me. Another thing is that many schools decide when to teach certain topics, for example, Mechanics may be taught in September in some schools and February in others.

ah that's great, and yeah I guess it's expected for topics (+ when they're taught) to vary across different schools
but i'm glad that you're finding physics relatively okay so far
Reply 6
Original post by NoRJoke112233
Hey, I'm studying pretty much the same things as you (changing CS for chem) and it's very nice there! The teachers are good (the best I've had so far), and the work is interesting.

oh wow that's great!! thanks so much, i've been literally torn the past few months deciding whether to stay at my school for sixth form or go there so this has helped immensely :smile:
also, for further maths at st doms, do you study maths in the first year and do the a-level at the end of year 12 (and then move on to do further maths in year 13)?
oh wow that's great!! thanks so much, i've been literally torn the past few months deciding whether to stay at my school for sixth form or go there so this has helped immensely :smile:
also, for further maths at st doms, do you study maths in the first year and do the a-level at the end of year 12 (and then move on to do further maths in year 13)?

Mix of maths and further maths for both years.
Reply 8
Mix of maths and further maths for both years.

i see, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Guys Im in year 11 and I missed the application form during the year but they reopened the application form and I did apply to it and they said that I should submit my results on results day and then they will see if they have space after the enrolment period and select the students with the right subjects and best grades, if I get 8s in math bio and chem do u tgibk they would accept me as their minimum requirement is a 776 for those 3 subjects
Reply 10
Original post by saemr
Guys Im in year 11 and I missed the application form during the year but they reopened the application form and I did apply to it and they said that I should submit my results on results day and then they will see if they have space after the enrolment period and select the students with the right subjects and best grades, if I get 8s in math bio and chem do u tgibk they would accept me as their minimum requirement is a 776 for those 3 subjects

yeah their average grade entry requirement is a 6, so tally up all your results (that you think you might get) and average them
it ofc isn't guaranteed as there's quite a few people on the waiting list also competing for a place (who also have to submit their results on results day) but it's definitely worth the try because 8s are amazing
as long as your other grades are pretty balanced you have a good chance of getting in
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by saemr

Most likely
Reply 12
Alright thanks guys
Reply 13
Do lots of people leave at the start of the year or switch or maybe some won't accept the offer because I'm starting to worry I won't get accepted now, thanks
Reply 14

hey are you guys allowed to use your own laptops + phones for personal study in the library? and how big are your class sizes typically?
yeah their average grade entry requirement is a 6, so tally up all your results (that you think you might get) and average them
it ofc isn't guaranteed as there's quite a few people on the waiting list also competing for a place (who also have to submit their results on results day) but it's definitely worth the try because 8s are amazing
as long as your other grades are pretty balanced you have a good chance of getting in

Is there a chance u get excepted by a U, even though ur avg is like 7, coz of french.. she gassed me to take higher, and it isn't looking good now
Reply 16
Original post by realMadrid.14
Is there a chance u get excepted by a U, even though ur avg is like 7, coz of french.. she gassed me to take higher, and it isn't looking good now

it should be okay ig since your average grade is above their required average of a 6 but i don't know for sure
here's the admissions criteria and the subject requirements which might help:
https://www.stdoms.ac.uk/attachments/download.asp?file=986&type=pdf
https://www.stdoms.ac.uk/attachments/download.asp?file=981&type=pdf
Reply 17
Would they make room for me even if there isn't space if I did get 8s in the subject I picked and higher then the average grade
Reply 18
Original post by saemr
Would they make room for me even if there isn't space if I did get 8s in the subject I picked and higher then the average grade

idk about making space because they already have a pretty long waiting list with people that also did get mostly 7s, 8s and 9s but may have got lower grades in other subjects
Reply 19
Oh I thought that most the people that got those grades would have already applied and instead the people left on the waiting list were people who did not get the offer or people like me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending