The Student Room Group

AQA GEOG4B 19th JUNE 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Original post by JackWilsh10
Guys, this threat is really helping me work towards my A!

Could anyone be a legend and help me tackle this question - the Kenyan health-care service is not fit for purpose'. Discuss. (10 marks)

Thanks so much :smile:

This is an argument question therefore you need to come up with a decent conclusion to actually fulfill the marks.

Discuss their current infrastructure:
Corruption perception index: 139/176 countries

The unevenly distributed spending on healthcare: 80% of people are in rural areas and receive 20% whereas urban areas have 70% spending and only 20% of the population live there- not fit for purpose

Road infrastructure:
efficiency of transporting logistics are low- 80% of the roads are unsurfaced- difficulty for Rider's for Health reaching clients on time etc.

Malaria:
Unicef products being sold in niche shops where they are supposed to be free (mosquito nets)

Government: Bilateral aid from the UK was used to fund the lifestyles of government personnal- purchased 1800 4x4 vehicles to fund staff and only purchased 4 ambulances for the public- not fit for purpose

Counter arguments:

UN and MDG's: achievement of NGO's successfully managing the healthcare of individuals that are within rural areas. Riders for health can visit up to 7 times more people than normal

Reduction of HIV/ AIDS cases: 1994- over 300,000 cases whereas 2013 saw only 100,000 cases showing some improvement

Do you agree with the question- formulate a small conclusion to achieve level 3.
Original post by Bunny2014
Thank you very much! :smile:

Hows revision going?? xxx

I've done a lot of research and reading over the past two days, but I don't really know if I'm prepared enough, I guess we'll see on results day haha! what about you?
To what extent is Kenya ever likely to achieve its MDGs?
does anyone have any notes on the maps, my teacher hasnt gone through them and im not entirely sure what to pick up from them
Original post by DanHUK
This is an argument question therefore you need to come up with a decent conclusion to actually fulfill the marks.

Discuss their current infrastructure:
Corruption perception index: 139/176 countries

The unevenly distributed spending on healthcare: 80% of people are in rural areas and receive 20% whereas urban areas have 70% spending and only 20% of the population live there- not fit for purpose

Road infrastructure:
efficiency of transporting logistics are low- 80% of the roads are unsurfaced- difficulty for Rider's for Health reaching clients on time etc.

Malaria:
Unicef products being sold in niche shops where they are supposed to be free (mosquito nets)

Government: Bilateral aid from the UK was used to fund the lifestyles of government personnal- purchased 1800 4x4 vehicles to fund staff and only purchased 4 ambulances for the public- not fit for purpose

Counter arguments:

UN and MDG's: achievement of NGO's successfully managing the healthcare of individuals that are within rural areas. Riders for health can visit up to 7 times more people than normal

Reduction of HIV/ AIDS cases: 1994- over 300,000 cases whereas 2013 saw only 100,000 cases showing some improvement

Do you agree with the question- formulate a small conclusion to achieve level 3.

Wow, thanks buddy! Whats the significance of the corruption perception index however, what is that showing?? Thanks dude
Reply 385
Original post by JackWilsh10
Wow, thanks buddy! Whats the significance of the corruption perception index however, what is that showing?? Thanks dude

The index is a perception of how corrupt a government actually is. As you can see they are pretty high within this index therefore other countries determine whether its appropriate to send aid. The significance of this is the fact that there is the potential of their distribution of funding and spending to the public sector is pretty low. Odds are, the government are using the aid for personal use and other countries have that perception that this is occurring. In addition, the index in general also displays how the government manage overall, e.g. the al-shibaab infiltrated the University in Kenya, killing hundreds; Militarily, the government had to be supported by the UN, showing that they are unable to independently deal with conflict. it could be suggested that Kenya is economically unstable to distribute the correct amount of spending to it's certain sectors. In a nutshell, this is how the the corruption index is perceived by other countries across the globe.
hi everyone, our teacher told us not to look at this exam until after the GEOG3 i was at work Tuesday and yesterday so looking over it today and really stuck as to what we need to know :/ he also said to just look over the websites on the back and to not in any circumstance do any further research or make loads of notes on the websites provided :/ im confused because every message ive read says we need to do tons of research but my teacher has been marking these exams for years and has been head of geography for 7 years. i dont really know where to start and what i need to do to be fair :/ any pointers???
Reply 387
Is their a threat for GEOG4A?

Our teacher is a moron and only covered one lesson on it despite it being 10% of the entire course. All I know is it's similar to last year and I got an A on it, but we had loads of lessons on it and I've lost my notes :-(

I'm panicking now!!
Would anyone be kind enough to provide me with an outline on what the 2030 vision is?
Original post by j1997j
Is their a threat for GEOG4A?

Our teacher is a moron and only covered one lesson on it despite it being 10% of the entire course. All I know is it's similar to last year and I got an A on it, but we had loads of lessons on it and I've lost my notes :-(

I'm panicking now!!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3295097
I think this is the thread
my teacher gave us a list of 36 possible questions if you want me to write them up for anyone to look at???
Reply 391
Which MDG's have been successful and which ones haven't? :curious:
Does anyone have just some simple facts on the impact of Riders in Kenya? Just like the amount of people that have been treated for HIV etc since Riders was implemented?
Hey Guys,

Keith here! I run the social media department at Riders and just thought I would answer and of your questions on the upcoming exam. Good luck everyone!
Original post by ridersforhealth
Hey Guys,

Keith here! I run the social media department at Riders and just thought I would answer and of your questions on the upcoming exam. Good luck everyone!

Hey Keith, do you think that your team will change their policy on providing wicked healthcare following the introduction of the SDGs?
Keep up the sick work, you guys are awesome.
Geographykid
Original post by MedievalWitch
my teacher gave us a list of 36 possible questions if you want me to write them up for anyone to look at???

Please do that would be useful
Word-on-the-hood is that the SDGs are being cancelled because they are too far reaching and not specific enough!
Original post by ridersforhealth
Hey Guys,

Hiya would you be able to summarise some facts of before and after impacts in kenya, due to the Rider's work?
Original post by emp97
Which MDG's have been successful and which ones haven't? :curious:

I think they all have to some extent except maternal mortality rate, however the statistics for that are not in % so could be effected by the increase in population of 5mn :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending