The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA5 - Thursday 18th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3780
Original post by CD223
I will attempt to piece one together next Tuesday after my last exam in the first post. I've compiled my answers so far for nuclear - Astro is slightly harder to do given not everyone does it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh ok
Are the official grade boundaries results before results day? (if so thats nerve racking)
Original post by RemainSilent
Are the official grade boundaries results before results day? (if so thats nerve racking)

Yeah, the exam boards reveal them a week before the results day i think

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I didn't mention plot a P-T or V-T graph or extrapolate the line in the 6 marker of section A at all, will I lose all marks? God I am so scared.

Ace. One last thing; did you just do (420/60) x (area of p-V loop) ?
so what actually was the last q in applied then????
Original post by ubisoft
That moment when the invigilator picks up your paper and you see the last page left empty. lol I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Praying we get the same boundaries as June 2014 but unlikely

Applied bro, and yeah pm me so I know you've posted them here
as far as i remember i got all of those i think, was 7.64x10^7 or whatever it was the last q??
Original post by ubisoft
Do you remember the questions too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did anybody else get -9.2x10^-2 for the magnitude in Astro? It seems to only be me...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3788
Original post by xela238
Did anybody else get -9.2x10^-2 for the magnitude in Astro? It seems to only be me...

Posted from TSR Mobile

There was a range where you read off of the graph. Most people read the range 1.980-1.983. When you use these numbers as the apparent magnitude in the formula with d=25, you get a range of results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xuyixuanpbs
If I didn't mention plot a P-T or V-T graph or extrapolate the line in the 6 marker of section A at all, will I lose all marks? God I am so scared.

You will probably lose a few marks. Don't worry though it won't be all of them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you write for that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Yeah, the exam boards reveal them a week before the results day i think

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my where would you go to find these??
Original post by Sbarron
Oh my where would you go to find these??

I though it was released on midnight results day...they can be found on their websites but they won't always update it on time I think.
Original post by Reverse Swing
I though it was released on midnight results day...they can be found on their websites but they won't always update it on time I think.

Yeah, i think that should be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3795
Yeah, i think that should be

Posted from TSR Mobile

AQA, OCR and Edexcel do theirs the day before. WJEC is different each year - sometimes not updating until actual results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those guys who did the applied one, do you think the paper this year was harder than the previous years or easier? I messed it up so I wanna know what kind of grade I can get. Thank you very much.
Yeah right I think I wrote sth stupid in physics exam, a 6 marks question asking how to determine absolute zero. I never revise it as it only occupies such a tiny space in the book and I never pay attention to it.

I put down use a kelvin thermometer and a Celsius thermometer to measure the temperature of a fixed amount of gas respectively.... then work out the difference....the subtract the difference from 0......

Bull****. If a kelvin thermometer is based on the concept of absolute zero...then what is the point to use it to determine absolute zero... I rethink after the exam and feel the answer is stupid...

I did also put down absolute zero is when the mean kinetic energy of all gas molecules becomes zero so does their root mean square speed is zero so it's actually impossible. And the experiment should be carried at constant pressure with a fixed mad and volume of gas. Take repeats and average. Honestly how many marks will I lose for this question I feel so regretful and scared:frown:
What did you write for that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3798
Yeah right I think I wrote sth stupid in physics exam, a 6 marks question asking how to determine absolute zero. I never revise it as it only occupies such a tiny space in the book and I never pay attention to it.

I put down use a kelvin thermometer and a Celsius thermometer to measure the temperature of a fixed amount of gas respectively.... then work out the difference....the subtract the difference from 0......

Bull****. If a kelvin thermometer is based on the concept of absolute zero...then what is the point to use it to determine absolute zero... I rethink after the exam and feel the answer is stupid...

I did also put down absolute zero is when the mean kinetic energy of all gas molecules becomes zero so does their root mean square speed is zero so it's actually impossible. And the experiment should be carried at constant pressure with a fixed mad and volume of gas. Take repeats and average. Honestly how many marks will I lose for this question I feel so regretful and scared:frown:

Lots of people ballsed up, don't worry. Just wait until results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the 2 six markers for the main paper and then astronomy i put:
>have a system that you can change the temperature of a gas in a fixed container (therefore volume and moles is constant).
> starting from room temperature cool the gas and measure the pressure with a pressure gauge.
>Plot a graph of Pressure (Y) by Temperature (x) and draw a line of best fit, then extrapolate the line back to the x axis and this is where pressure will be 0 (the x axis was in celsius)
>"This is the temperature where there is no pressure. This means the particles are stationary as pressure arises from the particles colliding with the pressure gauge" (or some **** like that)

Astronomy:
>measure time period by looking for the time between 2 similar peaks.
>Measure the tangential speed for the orbit of each star by looking at the red shift.
>i then went on to explain how you could work out the radius of the orbit around the common centre of mass, as you have the tangential speed and you have the time period so just apply some phy4 oscillations equations etc (did anyone else say this?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending