The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MM2B Mechanics 2 - Monday 22nd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by Tiwa
Thanks a lot!

No worries :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 341
Original post by sarcastic-sal
Just done Jan 2013 and the last part of question 9 took forever to do :frown: I'm worried I'm not going to have enough time for a tricky 'show that' question

That question is horrid. I still can't do it despite trying it twice. It was in my opinion the hardest ever M2 question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That question is horrid. I still can't do it despite trying it twice. It was in my opinion the hardest ever M2 question

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can post my working if you want? I gave up, marked my paper and then just as I found a video to explain it I had an 'omg I think I know how to do this' moment. I'm glad it was only 5 marks though because it meant I still got an A* UMS-wise
Reply 343
I can post my working if you want? I gave up, marked my paper and then just as I found a video to explain it I had an 'omg I think I know how to do this' moment. I'm glad it was only 5 marks though because it meant I still got an A* UMS-wise

Oh what video?:smile: if you wouldnt mind posting I'd appreciate it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Oh what video?:smile: if you wouldnt mind posting I'd appreciate it.Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA4F-p5Hj_4

My method:

DSCF8007.jpg
Attachment not found

Sorry about them being sideways
Reply 345
Can someone please help me understand how to find the angle in no (c).. Mark scheme is also attached
Reply 346
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA4F-p5Hj_4

My method:

DSCF8007.jpg
Attachment not found

Sorry about them being sideways

Thanks! That makes so much more sense. I still wouldn't have got that in the exam haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Thanks! That makes so much more sense. I still wouldn't have got that in the exam haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither would I. I was panicking as I couldn't do that one and my answer for the epe question seemed odd (but fortunately it was right) and M2 grade boundaries are unforgiving.
The examiner's report said this question was 'designed to discriminate between grades A and A*' and 'There was much inventive algebra shown in part (c) to obtain the printed result.'
I can't stand how cutting and sarcastic the examiners reports are (although sometimes it is quite funny)
Original post by aeryk
Can someone please help me understand how to find the angle in no (c).. Mark scheme is also attached

I've just done this paper so I'll post my working out:
DSCF8009.jpg
For simplicity I've drawn the lamina the same way up as the diagram gives it, but the dashed line represents the horizontal direction and the solid line represents the vertical.
You know that when the lamina is suspended from point H that the vertical will pass directly through the centre of mass. You're given the distance of the COM from AH and you've just worked out the distance from AB. The distance of the COM from HC is just 30cm - 13.6cm and so you can form a triangle and work out the angle required.
Edit: don't be thrown off by the COM not actually being where the lamina 'exists' as per say
Another edit: Theta is the angle between HG and the horizontal and x is the other angle in the right angled triangle. I did it a long winded way and you could actually just do the tan of theta straight away but apparently I make things harder for myself
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 349
DSCF8009.jpg
For simplicity I've drawn the lamina the same way up as the diagram gives it, but the dashed line represents the horizontal direction and the solid line represents the vertical.
You know that when the lamina is suspended from point H that the vertical will pass directly through the centre of mass. You're given the distance of the COM from AH and you've just worked out the distance from AB. The distance of the COM from HC is just 30cm - 13.6cm and so you can form a triangle and work out the angle required.
Edit: don't be thrown off by the COM not actually being where the lamina 'exists' as per say
Another edit: Theta is the angle between HG and the horizontal and x is the other angle in the right angled triangle. I did it a long winded way and you could actually just do the tan of theta straight away but apparently I make things harder for myself

Thank u so much.. That made a lot of sense
Reply 350
Neither would I. I was panicking as I couldn't do that one and my answer for the epe question seemed odd (but fortunately it was right) and M2 grade boundaries are unforgiving.
The examiner's report said this question was 'designed to discriminate between grades A and A*' and 'There was much inventive algebra shown in part (c) to obtain the printed result.'
I can't stand how cutting and sarcastic the examiners reports are (although sometimes it is quite funny)

Hahahaha I know what you mean. Especially when I make the same mistake they have a dig at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 351
DSCF8009.jpg

Just wanted to know which angle do I need to find if the question had asked to find the angle between HG and downward vertical..
can someone explain why for jan 13 q 3 you have to work in radians?
Reply 353
Original post by alex27996
can someone explain why for jan 13 q 3 you have to work in radians?

Sorry, what do you mean?

They give you what sinθ\sin \theta equals so that you can just use the numerical value when multiplying by the weight to find the component of the weight acting down the slope.

This means the driving force at maximum power must equal the resistance force plus the component of the weight down the slope. You don't have to find θ\theta at any stage.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434807557.249367.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Sorry, what do you mean?

They give you what sinθ\sin \theta equals so that you can just use the numerical value when multiplying by the weight to find the component of the weight acting down the slope.

This means the driving force at maximum power must equal the resistance force plus the component of the weight down the slope. You don't have to find θ\theta at any stage.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434807557.249367.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well when i first did the calculation in degrees i came to the wrong answer, redid it in radians and got the right answer?
Reply 355
Original post by alex27996
Well when i first did the calculation in degrees i came to the wrong answer, redid it in radians and got the right answer?

That is odd. You shouldn't need to convert to degrees though, as the calculation just involves sin theta, which has the value they give in the question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which are the hardest past papers?
Reply 357
Original post by Red Fox
Which are the hardest past papers?

Not sure about the hardest paper in itself, but if you haven't already then try Q9 January 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Not sure about the hardest paper in itself, but if you haven't already then try Q9 January 2013.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll give it a go now:tongue:.
I'm stuck on question 5b from this exercise sheet:http://www.madasmaths.com/archive/maths_booklets/mechanics/m2_m3_elastic_strings_springs.pdf

The answer is 1.65m
Here's what I've done could someone point out where I went wrong
hneans.jpg

Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending