The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DerRm
Don't want to break copyright laws here, so if you've got a copy of the paper to hand, I've had a good search over lunch and here's the nearest examples to previous papers so you can get an indication of how it was marked * at the time *

"If you've got a copy of the paper to hand" ... is there anyway we can download the paper already or something?
Reply 381
Original post by jamietopp21
I don't know why i used an array to be perfectly honest, but i don't think ill lose marks for putting one in, but i thought i may lose marks for not putting one in so might as well - as long as the algorithm works then you should get full marks, thats what i think!

Did we have to output the number of students and their marks or not? i don't remember if we had to or not and now I'm worried because i remember seeing them written down, however they may have just been input examples

The only input was number of students and scores.

The outputs should have been the score per student (minus max and min) and the highest score of those students input.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
The only input was number of students and scores.

The outputs should have been the score per student (minus max and min) and the highest score of those students input.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm doing the thing where i think back over answers and scare myself into thinking I've done them wrong!
Pretty straight forward paper with tricky algorithm and normalisation, so basically a standard, messed up the exponent tho, I was too cocky haha

the big 12 marker was a blessing on Earth, easy marks, even if you wasnt sure about CASE tools
Reply 384
Thank you! I'm doing the thing where i think back over answers and scare myself into thinking I've done them wrong!

I do that all the time. No worries!

Kinda worried I didn't write enough for some questions. Like that algorithm one. I just stated what an algorithm was and said "flow chart, pseudo code, structured English".

Feels like that's not enough for 4 marks?

Also what did people say for class and method of OOP? I blagged it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I do that all the time. No worries!

Kinda worried I didn't write enough for some questions. Like that algorithm one. I just stated what an algorithm was and said "flow chart, pseudo code, structured English".

Feels like that's not enough for 4 marks?

Also what did people say for class and method of OOP? I blagged it :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wrote "an algorithm is a set of rules for solving a specific problem, flow charts and pseudocode" , i imagine you get 2 marks for the definition and a mark per example, i blagged quite a few - the one about the train gate thing (?) the OOP one and the multi programming one, i just wrote everything i knew about scheduling and various things, not very well written
Reply 386
I wrote "an algorithm is a set of rules for solving a specific problem, flow charts and pseudocode" , i imagine you get 2 marks for the definition and a mark per example, i blagged quite a few - the one about the train gate thing (?) the OOP one and the multi programming one, i just wrote everything i knew about scheduling and various things, not very well written

Just seems an excuse to write a lot of things that won't get marks :/

Never seen round robin, priority schedulers, fixed and dynamic partitioning on a mark scheme before...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Just seems an excuse to write a lot of things that won't get marks :/

Never seen round robin, priority schedulers, fixed and dynamic partitioning on a mark scheme before...

Posted from TSR Mobile

No me neither, but I recall things such as "makes efficient use of the CPU" and various things like this on a mark scheme before so i used those phrases, then just added stuff around it in an attempt to potentially get a few more marks
Reply 388
No me neither, but I recall things such as "makes efficient use of the CPU" and various things like this on a mark scheme before so i used those phrases, then just added stuff around it in an attempt to potentially get a few more marks

Ugh. I should have just memorised tons of mark schemes for this exam. Feels like I'll lose marks now for not saying the WJEC phrases -,-

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ugh. I should have just memorised tons of mark schemes for this exam. Feels like I'll lose marks now for not saying the WJEC phrases -.-

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is a bit annoying when they want specific phrases but you should be okay! As long as what you've written matches the spec in meaning and you've used terminology you should be fine, also if you've at least read mark schemes you probably have written some things out of habit or familiarity anyway!
Would be good to have a copy of the paper handy though so i could look up the answers and give myself a rough mark, would save the months of waiting around!
Reply 391
It is a bit annoying when they want specific phrases but you should be okay! As long as what you've written matches the spec in meaning and you've used terminology you should be fine, also if you've at least read mark schemes you probably have written some things out of habit or familiarity anyway!

That's true man. Hoping it turns out okay. Personally the hardest question was databases as it was so ambiguous. Algorithm was the last one I attempted on the paper as it was the one that personally required the most thought.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sh*t. when drawing the truth tables i realise i didn't label the inputs and outputs, will i still be getting the marks? D;
Reply 393
sh*t. when drawing the truth tables i realise i didn't label the inputs and outputs, will i still be getting the marks? D;

Don't think it matters seeing as the table structure is pretty clear which is the input and which is the output?! It'd be extremely cruel if you lose marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Don't think it matters seeing as the table structure is pretty clear which is the input and which is the output?! It'd be extremely cruel if you lose marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it matches the mark scheme layout but still, I hope i don't lose marks, i lost enough on the database, OOP and multiprogramming questions!
Reply 395
it matches the mark scheme layout but still, I hope i don't lose marks, i lost enough on the database, OOP and multiprogramming questions!

OOP I was disappointed with - I revised it last night but couldn't remember definitions :/

What do you think you dropped on the multi programming questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
OOP I was disappointed with - I revised it last night but couldn't remember definitions :/

What do you think you dropped on the multi programming questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure - it was a 6 mark question wasn't it? i think i must have dropped at least 3 marks
Reply 397
I'm not sure - it was a 6 mark question wasn't it? i think i must have dropped at least 3 marks

But that algorithm question was 4 marks and all I wrote was a sentence then "flow charts, pseudo code and structured English" :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
But that algorithm question was 4 marks and all I wrote was a sentence then "flow charts, pseudo code and structured English" :L

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh did it want 3 ways of describing agorithms? :/
Reply 399
oh did it want 3 ways of describing agorithms? :/

It said two ways of describing them but I put the three I knew of along with a definition. Didn't feel like 4 marks worth though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending