The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 - Tuesday 23rd June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Nice!
Computer Science at University of Bath :smile:

Making a MS now!

Yeah i thought it would be computer science! I hope you get what you need for that! :smile: and thank you, really appreciate it!
Reply 421
Original post by jamietopp21
Yeah i thought it would be computer science! I hope you get what you need for that! :smile: and thank you, really appreciate it!

Aha I'm so predictable :wink:

Could you help me remember marks when I've posted it please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Aha I'm so predictable :wink:

Could you help me remember marks when I've posted it please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Help you remember marks? do you mean how many marks each question was worth, yeah i can give it a go :smile:
Reply 423
Help you remember marks? do you mean how many marks each question was worth, yeah i can give it a go :smile:

Yeah :smile: I'll give it a bash when I post it (it'll be in the first post) but I'm sure I'll be wrong on a few!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah :smile: I'll give it a bash when I post it (it'll be in the first post) but I'm sure I'll be wrong on a few!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you can check it adds to 100, ill let you know if i see anything i think is wrong! okay, let me know when its up :smile:
For the algorithm i got something like this (i know it is not very efficient) - did anyone else get anything like this? are there any problems with it? :

Set NumberOfStudents = 0
Set Max = 0
Set Min = 10
Set Total = 0
Set FinalMark = 0
Set HighestMark = 0
Set Mark(8) as an array

Input NumberOfStudents

For X = 1 to NumberOfStudents
For N = 1 to 8
Input Mark(N)
If MarkN > Max then
Max = MarkN
End If

If MarkN < Min then
Min = MarkN
End If
Total = Total + Mark(N)

End For

FinalMark = Total - (min + max)
If FinalMark > Highest Mark then
HighestMark = Final Mark
End If

Output = "Final Mark = " FinalMark

End For

Output "Highest Mark =" HighestMark

Can i ask why you set min to 10 and max to 0?, i agree with every other line except for that, i must have misinterpreted the question :/, i thought they said the mark has to be inbetween 0 and 10 which i assumed the meaning that max would be 10 and minimum would be zero?

Any idea how many marks i would lose for setting max to 10 and min to 0 but still writing every other line exactly the same?
Original post by Blablalb
Can i ask why you set min to 10 and max to 0?, i agree with every other line except for that, i must have misinterpreted the question :/, i thought they said the mark has to be inbetween 0 and 10 which i assumed the meaning that max would be 10 and minimum would be zero?

Any idea how many marks i would lose for setting max to 10 and min to 0 but still writing every other line exactly the same?

So that i could compare values

With Min being 10, if i say "if mark is lower than min (10) then make that the new min, sorry I'm awful at explaining!! someone else will explain it better than me I'm sure
Reply 427

I set those values too. It initialises them because when a mark is less than 10 it will be set to min and when a mark is greater than 0 it is set to max.

That means that given typical data, the initial variable value of 10 and 0 will always be overridden by other data.

If for example the max and min were both set to zero, then there would be no scores less than zero and hence the minimum would stay zero.

If for example the max and min were both set to ten, then there would be no scores greater than ten and hence the maximum would stay ten.

These initialisations are to ensure a new value replaces the initial value when data is entered for student scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Told you someone else would explain it far better than me!

In theory you could set Min to anything over 10, i was originally going to set it to 999 out of habit but realised i didn't need too!
Reply 429
Told you someone else would explain it far better than me!

In theory you could set Min to anything over 10, i was originally going to set it to 999 out of habit but realised i didn't need too!

Lol I almost did that! We both must have looked at the previous similar question with that kind of algorithm before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So that i could compare values

With Min being 10, if i say "if mark is lower than min (10) then make that the new min, sorry I'm awful at explaining!! someone else will explain it better than me I'm sure

Original post by CD223
I set those values too. It initialises them because when a mark is less than 10 it will be set to min and when a mark is greater than 0 it is set to max.

That means that given typical data, the initial variable value of 10 and 0 will always be overridden by other data.

If for example the max and min were both set to zero, then there would be no scores less than zero and hence the minimum would stay zero.

If for example the max and min were both set to ten, then there would be no scores greater than ten and hence the maximum would stay ten.

These initialisations are to ensure a new value replaces the initial value when data is entered for student scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you both very much, thinking about it, i have always seen past paper questions set the min to stupidly ridiculous values but never understood the logic behind it until now, Thanks Guys. Also any idea how many marks i would have lost for that or am i asking a stupid question?
Thank you both very much, thinking about it, i have always seen past paper questions set the min to stupidly ridiculous values but never understood the logic behind it until now, Thanks Guys. Also any idea how many marks i would have lost for that or am i asking a stupid question?

generally the algorithm marks are separated into different catorgies, for this one i imagine its
- initialising the variables/inputs
-having 2 nested for loops
-comparing values to find min
-comparing values to find max
- calculating the total - (min + max)
-out puts

so depending on how much you've done correctly, you may lose 1 or 2 marks for setting variables incorrectly i would say :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
generally the algorithm marks are separated into different catorgies, for this one i imagine its
-out puts

so depending on how much you've done correctly, you may lose 1 or 2 marks for setting variables incorrectly i would say :smile:

Ah okay, thank you very much, i shouldn't have done awful on this paper then, it was very much like a past paper, which is new this year as they have been nasty with most of the other subjects like physics. However they did add a little bit more maths, only 5 marks worth, but still it's better than nothing haha.
Reply 433
-out puts

Does it matter the order the outputs go in?

I made it so that the total mark was output after each student had their 8 marks input (as opposed to after all marks had been input for each student) as I didn't use an array. Reckon this matters?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Does it matter the order the outputs go in?

I made it so that the total mark was output after each student had their 8 marks input (as opposed to after all marks had been input for each student) as I didn't use an array. Reckon this matters?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the location of the output matters, form what i remember in mark schemes I've seen outputs in the middle of code so, thats exactly what i did aswell so :smile:
While i remember, how did everyone find the "drawbacks of online shopping" question? it was 6 marks, but i only could think of 4 points, which i tried to expand on, how did everyone else approach this?
Reply 436
I don't think the location of the output matters, form what i remember in mark schemes I've seen outputs in the middle of code so, thats exactly what i did aswell so :smile:

Ah good! I couldn't think of a shorter, easier way to do it without using an array :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
While i remember, how did everyone find the "drawbacks of online shopping" question? it was 6 marks, but i only could think of 4 points, which i tried to expand on, how did everyone else approach this?

I regurgitated the mark scheme from a few years back - it had a similar question but was more general - this was specific to the customer. I was just like:

can't see/try on item
can't get item immediately
required credit/debit card
website could be fraudulent - credit card details might be lost and item might not get delivered
often a delivery charge
have to go to the post office to collect the item
item could be lost or damaged in the post

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Nice!
Computer Science at University of Bath :smile:

Making a MS now!

I'm doing Computer Science MSci at Birmingham - I don't even need my Computing grade, I'm in already >.<

Still good to try your best though :smile:
Original post by CD223
I regurgitated the mark scheme from a few years back - it had a similar question but was more general - this was specific to the customer. I was just like:

can't see/try on item
can't get item immediately
required credit/debit card
website could be fraudulent - credit card details might be lost and item might not get delivered
often a delivery charge
have to go to the post office to collect the item
item could be lost or damaged in the post

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh i did
-cannot feel/touch/smell item, so cannot get a sense of size, weight, or other aspects
-credit card info or identity info may be stolen
-can have a negative impact on health and sense of community/being social
-delivery waiting time, possible delivery charge, packages may get damaged in the post or you may not be in to receive them

i assumed that last lot would only count as 1 mark, would be good if they were all separate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending