The Student Room Group

Can you teach yourself GCSE geography?

I didn't choose it as my option but I really want to take it for a level so I was wondering if you can teach yourself it at home?
I would have to do an exam bored with no controlled assessments and just exams but does anyone know if this is possible?
yes i did the igcse exam and got an A
Reply 2
Original post by sophiamarni
yes i did the igcse exam and got an A

How did you do it?
this was edexcel i will msg in detail tomorrow i really tired as i have 2 younger brothers that drain the life out of me
Reply 4
Okay haha
i will link you all the resources in detail tomorrow and how it works i took the exam as my teacher purposely changed my grade on my CA i will rant in detail tomoz for you
I think it's perfectly doable. I don't think any of the content is too difficult.

First, download the syllabus and order a revision guide from your exam board. You can use the revision guide to take notes from, and the syllabus to tick off what you've done. That's really all there is to it!
I think Geography is easy enough to teach yourself if you find it easy already, yes. And if you don't understand something there's always videos online.

Good luck~!
Reply 7
Original post by get_in_the_robot
I think it's perfectly doable. I don't think any of the content is too difficult.

First, download the syllabus and order a revision guide from your exam board. You can use the revision guide to take notes from, and the syllabus to tick off what you've done. That's really all there is to it!
I think Geography is easy enough to teach yourself if you find it easy already, yes. And if you don't understand something there's always videos online.

Good luck~!

Would you recommend an exam board?
Original post by 42915
Would you recommend an exam board?

I'm on Cambridge iGCSE. iGCSEs look better than GCSEs and they're really not much harder at all. I find the balance between physical/human/economic geography quite good, and the papers aren't that hard (just google some!). I'd also refer doing the alternative to coursework paper, which is what I'm gonna do. Studying for exams by yourself is a lot easier than trying to work out how to do a group-focused coursework all by yourself at a good grade! :redface:
i would recommend edexcel because the material is online i will break it down in another post
Reply 10
It's really easy so that wouldn't be much of a problem. Not sure how you'd sort coursework really though.
I did GCSE Geography

If you PM I will help you !!
I have just done GCSE geography with AQA. We did tourism, rocks, weather, glaciation, rural environments and urban environments. If I can help at all let me know. I'll see what useful notes I have.
The coursework isn't a problem on Cambridge. You do more than you do in AQA by the sounds of it, but i don't think it goes into deeper info? Idk i enjoyed it tho!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do Edexcel IGCSE Geography. They have a text book you can by from amazon and cambridge don't. Plus all the past papers are on edexcel's website where as Cambridge don't put them up online.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LuiEmmitt
Do Edexcel IGCSE Geography. They have a text book you can by from amazon and cambridge don't. Plus all the past papers are on edexcel's website where as Cambridge don't put them up online.

That's a good point, though i wouldn't use the Cambridge textbook anyway because it's a bit crap :tongue:
Does Edexcel have an alternative to coursework paper btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by get_in_the_robot
That's a good point, though i wouldn't use the Cambridge textbook anyway because it's a bit crap :tongue:
Does Edexcel have an alternative to coursework paper btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. The coursework doesn't really seem like coursework though. Take a look at the specification and see what you make of it. Its quite easy to follow.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/International%20GCSE/Geography/2011/Specification%20and%20sample%20assessments/UG030050-International-GCSE-in-Geography-master-booklet-spec-SAMs-for-web-220212.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest