The Student Room Group

GCSE choices

I'm currently in the process of picking options. I have to do all the core, Rs, one humanity and one language. I want to do art, is it a good idea? I've seen mixed views on it here and I'm not sure. I'm part of the gifted and talented program for it and I really enjoy it however I struggle under pressure and I'm not sure if it will ruin it for me. I am aware it is a massive dedication but I don’t think I'll be able to forgive myself for not going down that path. I feel as though either way I will regret it.
I prefer history, however, I think I might do geography because, from my experience, I have to work harder in history to do even close to my grades in geography. But it is quite dull, so I don't know. I may do both of I don't do both languages.
I am debating doing both languages because I really dislike the idea of having to rely on other people's English knowledge to travel. I find French much easier and get the two mixed up, but I really want to give it a try. I'm currently doing French and Spanish (I'm finding Spanish hard but I think it might be the fact that I thought in was picking French and stopped trying as hard.) So anyone who has experience with both(and didn't have much prior knowledge of either) is this a bad idea? Should I just take history instead?
I would appreciate it if anyone who took/ is taking these subjects, or knows someone who did/ is doing to give the input. It would mean so much to me because decisions are a massive struggle for me. Thank you so much xx
Original post by Eloi_io
I'm currently in the process of picking options. I have to do all the core, Rs, one humanity and one language. I want to do art, is it a good idea? I've seen mixed views on it here and I'm not sure. I'm part of the gifted and talented program for it and I really enjoy it however I struggle under pressure and I'm not sure if it will ruin it for me. I am aware it is a massive dedication but I don’t think I'll be able to forgive myself for not going down that path. I feel as though either way I will regret it.
I prefer history, however, I think I might do geography because, from my experience, I have to work harder in history to do even close to my grades in geography. But it is quite dull, so I don't know. I may do both of I don't do both languages.
I am debating doing both languages because I really dislike the idea of having to rely on other people's English knowledge to travel. I find French much easier and get the two mixed up, but I really want to give it a try. I'm currently doing French and Spanish (I'm finding Spanish hard but I think it might be the fact that I thought in was picking French and stopped trying as hard.) So anyone who has experience with both(and didn't have much prior knowledge of either) is this a bad idea? Should I just take history instead?
I would appreciate it if anyone who took/ is taking these subjects, or knows someone who did/ is doing to give the input. It would mean so much to me because decisions are a massive struggle for me. Thank you so much xx

Hi, I did all the core subjects, Further maths RS, geography, Spanish and engineering so maybe not the helpful for you. But Geography is definitely much easier (but more boring) but its so easy to revise and remember and you study a lot more in less depth rather than in history when you deep dive into specific subjects so I guess its down to what you prefer?

I went to a high pressure and very academic girls grammar school where everyone gets amazing grades and plenty of my friends got a 9 in 11 subjects and then a 7 in art- I think this just shows how much effort art is- bc these girls have incredible dedication but art just proved too much for them. If you want to do artsy stuff in the future then its defo a good choice but if you know you wouldn't take art past gcses then I would recommend not doing it so that you can keep it as a hobby.

I did Spanish and french for a year then dropped french because 2 languages is quite a lot- especially because they are so similar, I was just getting so confused between the vocab- I would recommend just doing 1 language especially when it comes to speaking exams you don't want to be cramming learning all the responses to the questions.

I don't know if that is helpful but I can answer more questions if you need. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by ketchupavalanche
Hi, I did all the core subjects, Further maths RS, geography, Spanish and engineering so maybe not the helpful for you. But Geography is definitely much easier (but more boring) but its so easy to revise and remember and you study a lot more in less depth rather than in history when you deep dive into specific subjects so I guess its down to what you prefer?

I went to a high pressure and very academic girls grammar school where everyone gets amazing grades and plenty of my friends got a 9 in 11 subjects and then a 7 in art- I think this just shows how much effort art is- bc these girls have incredible dedication but art just proved too much for them. If you want to do artsy stuff in the future then its defo a good choice but if you know you wouldn't take art past gcses then I would recommend not doing it so that you can keep it as a hobby.

I did Spanish and french for a year then dropped french because 2 languages is quite a lot- especially because they are so similar, I was just getting so confused between the vocab- I would recommend just doing 1 language especially when it comes to speaking exams you don't want to be cramming learning all the responses to the questions.

I don't know if that is helpful but I can answer more questions if you need. Good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help. I have a taster day coming up so hopefully that can clear things up. I can see myself doing art in the future however I'm still not sure. I'm pretty set on doing at least geography and I'll see what comes out of that taster day for everything else. I thought doing two languages would be hard so thanks for sharing your experience.
Hi, I'm in year 10 and picked art gcse. I've just dropped it and now I'm doing history instead (I also do core subjects, geography, Spanish and business studies). Obviously I don't know what it's like to do history gcse as my first lesson will be this week but geography is definitely easy to revise for. For art, I feel like I wasn't prepared for the workload, it was taking up too much time and I ended up not enjoying it due to high pressure and long projects. If you can see yourself doing art in the future then maybe you should take it? I'd say it depends on how long you can commit to doing art every week + how much the pressure could potentially ruin it for you. If you do end up picking one and think it was the wrong idea, make sure you tell the school ASAP to see if you can swap, as I left it quite late and now everyone doing history has already been taught 30% of the course and I basically need to teach myself that lol

Whatever you do, don't let anyone pressure you/ sway you into making a decision that you don't think is best - I think part of my decision to do art was due to this...

As for the languages - I did French years 7-9, then Spanish from year 8, and am currently doing it for my gcses. I would recommend picking one language as they are quite similar in terms of vocabulary and that way you can make sure you don't get them confused, however I know people who are doing both and are managing fine so maybe it's just me lol. Maybe make sure you try in Spanish to see if that helps you improve - you could also use Duolingo as I've found that helps me learn lots.

Hope this helps, and I will answer more questions if you want :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by lola825992350
Hi, I'm in year 10 and picked art gcse. I've just dropped it and now I'm doing history instead (I also do core subjects, geography, Spanish and business studies). Obviously I don't know what it's like to do history gcse as my first lesson will be this week but geography is definitely easy to revise for. For art, I feel like I wasn't prepared for the workload, it was taking up too much time and I ended up not enjoying it due to high pressure and long projects. If you can see yourself doing art in the future then maybe you should take it? I'd say it depends on how long you can commit to doing art every week + how much the pressure could potentially ruin it for you. If you do end up picking one and think it was the wrong idea, make sure you tell the school ASAP to see if you can swap, as I left it quite late and now everyone doing history has already been taught 30% of the course and I basically need to teach myself that lol

Whatever you do, don't let anyone pressure you/ sway you into making a decision that you don't think is best - I think part of my decision to do art was due to this...

As for the languages - I did French years 7-9, then Spanish from year 8, and am currently doing it for my gcses. I would recommend picking one language as they are quite similar in terms of vocabulary and that way you can make sure you don't get them confused, however I know people who are doing both and are managing fine so maybe it's just me lol. Maybe make sure you try in Spanish to see if that helps you improve - you could also use Duolingo as I've found that helps me learn lots.

Hope this helps, and I will answer more questions if you want :smile:

Thanks for your help, I'm going to take this into consideration! You don't get how useful this is!
Reply 5
Hey, thanks this is really helpful! If you don't mind me asking can you give a rough estimate of how many hours you spent on art per week? I completely understand it's interchangeable and depends on the week, I would just like a vague idea. I have been using Duolingo for a while and I find it is helpful, I did just Spanish for the first 100 days and French for the next 150 and now have been doing both for a bit so we’ll see if that helps me make a decision. Thanks for your help again
Original post by Eloi_io
Hey, thanks this is really helpful! If you don't mind me asking can you give a rough estimate of how many hours you spent on art per week? I completely understand it's interchangeable and depends on the week, I would just like a vague idea. I have been using Duolingo for a while and I find it is helpful, I did just Spanish for the first 100 days and French for the next 150 and now have been doing both for a bit so we’ll see if that helps me make a decision. Thanks for your help again

Hi, my teacher said that 2 hours of homework per week was necessary, however everyone in my class thought that this wasn't nearly enough time to complete the pieces for the deadlines.
I would have 5 hours of lessons every 2 weeks, and every Tuesday I went to the art club after school for an hour. On top of this I did the 2 hours of homework, and then usually 2 hours a day at the weekends and maybe another 2 during the week.
For me this was a lot, especially considering the amount of work I was getting from my other subjects, plus extra activities I do after school and at weekends

Quick Reply

Latest