The Student Room Group

Starting year 9.

Hi, I am a student starting year 9, in year 8, I was always top in the class and get top grades most of the times, especially in maths and french, however, I moved into another tougher school in year 9, they are a lot stricter and gave homework for the first day!!! I'm taking french, geography, computer science and art for gcse( and also the compulsory ones of course) and I'm starting to worry a little bit because I feel like I can do something better although I always pay attention in class and always do my homework the first thing I get home, after homework I get a lot of free time, I'm a pianist so I play the piano, however, the rest of the time I just chill, but it's making me feeling a bit guilty because I'm about to start my GCSEs, and although I'm moving to a brand new school, I'm getting along really well with the lessons except french, I think different schools teach languages in different ways and in different order, and although I can understand most of them, there are small details that I never learnt, but my classmate knows, so that's making me a bit worried. So does anyone have any tips starting year 9? and for my situation? I really do want a good gcse result!!!
Original post by Maxi2009
Hi, I am a student starting year 9, in year 8, I was always top in the class and get top grades most of the times, especially in maths and french, however, I moved into another tougher school in year 9, they are a lot stricter and gave homework for the first day!!! I'm taking french, geography, computer science and art for gcse( and also the compulsory ones of course) and I'm starting to worry a little bit because I feel like I can do something better although I always pay attention in class and always do my homework the first thing I get home, after homework I get a lot of free time, I'm a pianist so I play the piano, however, the rest of the time I just chill, but it's making me feeling a bit guilty because I'm about to start my GCSEs, and although I'm moving to a brand new school, I'm getting along really well with the lessons except french, I think different schools teach languages in different ways and in different order, and although I can understand most of them, there are small details that I never learnt, but my classmate knows, so that's making me a bit worried. So does anyone have any tips starting year 9? and for my situation? I really do want a good gcse result!!!

I remember in our year 9 assembly, our teacher (who was assigned as head of year 9) showed a powerpoint that described gcse’s as a big squiggly curved line. It is not a straight path to achieve high grades. For example, not doing so well on mocks, but gradually improving. You will struggle. But it is the consistency is working hard that enables you to get the high grades.
Since you feel you want to do more…
There is senecalearning, khan academy for learning resources (for things you studied at school as well as new things)
For french it is useful to encounter it outside of school
http://apprendre.tv5monde.com/fr/niveaux/a1-debutant
https://tunein.com/
https://www.fluentin3months.com/mosalingua-review/
http://www.fluentin3months.com/lingq-review/
Reply 2
Honestly stressing too much at the beginning of year 9 isn't worth it. Listen in class, your homework, revise for tests but don't sacrifice your mental health for it. If you are worried specifically about French then just try and work out which specific topics you are a bit behind on and ask your teacher for resources or find quizlets online. While GCSE content does begin to get taught in year 9 overworking yourself is like the worst thing you can do- save energy for when the work actually ramps up because you don't want to get burnt out. Year 9 is like the basics of GCSE content - you absolutely need to be strong on it but don't beat yourself up cause you've got a few years to make sure everything is in order. You don't need perfect grades for the whole 3 years to do well at the end. It's good to chill out sometimes- I spent much of yr 9 and 10 doing it when I could. Good Luck and try not to get too stressed!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 3

i moved schools in y9 and i felt like they were so far ahead in french compared to me. but now i’m about to go into year 11 and i got an 8 on my mock and i plan on getting a 9 in my gcse. all i’d say is just continue working hard in lessons, as over time the differences will disappear and you may even become better than them (especially if you were good at it before). nobody will think ur stupid if u don’t know something you never learnt, and you will inevitably run into it again and then know you need to learn it. you’re only in y9 so you have years to catch up if necessary

If there are small details you don't know that they do, it's because your two schools use different exam boards. Don't worry, in year 10 and 11 you should cover all the GCSE topics again, so just have fun! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest