The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

is aston over-rated?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Out of your offers I would put either Manchester or Birmingham as my firm choice if I were in your situation. I looked into Aston and the above unis when I was applying last year and I pretty much heard the same sort of thing your bf has said. I have a friend that did a business degree there not too long ago and she says she wishes she had been able to go around different unis properly before she picked Aston (she was abroad at an international school at the time due to her parents work). She says it's not academic enough and didn't find the course challenging mainly because she felt it is "dumbed down" for those who had not done A-levels and there is a much higher proportion of these students than she thought there would be. Obviously take this with a pinch of salt as this may not apply to your course but that's her experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Ridwan1473
What is it about Aston you dont like apart from the union?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The architecture is ugly, the inside of the building is old, the campus is small, the union is beyond crap. About a third of the students come from Birmingham so they go home and mostly don't interact with other students, you can't park on campus. After the first year where do you want to share a house with friends? No where near aston that's for sure.

Apart from that Birmingham is higher ranked and has none of the above issues

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
The architecture is ugly, the inside of the building is old, the campus is small, the union is beyond crap. About a third of the students come from Birmingham so they go home and mostly don't interact with other students, you can't park on campus. After the first year where do you want to share a house with friends? No where near aston that's for sure.

Apart from that Birmingham is higher ranked and has none of the above issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see. I decided to defer a year now and go LSE / CASS instead😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Those things happen at every uni.
Original post by Ridwan1473
I see. I decided to defer a year now and go LSE / CASS instead😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a real shame to see people have put you off studying with us. However we wish you the best with choosing another institution.

Josh
Original post by Aston University
That's a real shame to see people have put you off studying with us. However we wish you the best with choosing another institution.

Josh

Not really he asked for opinions and he got honest opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514
Not really he asked for opinions and he got honest opinions

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see it differently, making such a big decision i would be the kind of person to go on my own gut instinct; rather than be influenced by others, especially those whom i've never met and know very little about me.

We do actively encourage feedback from our students and are always trying to improve on said feedback.If you have constructive feedback of how we could improve please let us know.

Effectively the point of that message was to well wish a student whom had decided to study with someone else, not point the finger at people who are dissatisfied. We aren't sore losers here.

However i'm sure you can imagine it's slightly disheartening, to see someone be turned away on the advice of our current students, especially what seems a minority with a consistent satisfaction rate of 89% in the NSS over the last two years. When there are a number of passionate staff members who want to provide the best opportunities possible to our students.

I'm not going to ask The Student Room to remove this thread or anything similar, but please keep in mind when you aren't enjoying your Aston experience it may be better to ask us to improve, rather than just turn students away as a vocal minority.

Josh
It isn't considered a good university so that's that.
Original post by Aston University
I see it differently, making such a big decision i would be the kind of person to go on my own gut instinct; rather than be influenced by others, especially those whom i've never met and know very little about me.

We do actively encourage feedback from our students and are always trying to improve on said feedback.If you have constructive feedback of how we could improve please let us know.

Effectively the point of that message was to well wish a student whom had decided to study with someone else, not point the finger at people who are dissatisfied. We aren't sore losers here.

However i'm sure you can imagine it's slightly disheartening, to see someone be turned away on the advice of our current students, especially what seems a minority with a consistent satisfaction rate of 89% in the NSS over the last two years. When there are a number of passionate staff members who want to provide the best opportunities possible to our students.

I'm not going to ask The Student Room to remove this thread or anything similar, but please keep in mind when you aren't enjoying your Aston experience it may be better to ask us to improve, rather than just turn students away as a vocal minority.

Josh

Dw i didn't choose not to go to Aston due to what i read on tsr, tbh i don't care much about what they say.
Aston is a good university with an excellent business school, but coming back from an investment banking insight day, literally everyone was from Oxbridge/UCL/Imperial. I was told i needed to go to one of these target unis to maximise my chances of getting into front office IB. As IBs dont target Aston its just not the university for me.
Hope you understand,
M.A

Posted from TSR Mobile
I go to Aston. If you want to go to a decent, small, tight-knit university, then Aston is fine for you. Of course, it depends what you are looking to study too. Aston's strengths lie in its business school and Optometry/Pharmacy degrees which are highly regarded. Being based in the city centre means everythings on your doorstep. Employability rates are generally very good. However, I kind of agree with some prior comments, the main building itself is outdated and not the best of sights and a large chunk of the students are from Birmingham and live at home, so you don't really get that international university sort of feel that UoB gives you.
Hi, I'm hoping to do economics and management at Aston this year, hopefully!
Is it a challenging course? As I've never done economics before, or is it a course where if you stay on top of your work you'll be fine?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest