The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on the changes to GCSE Maths & English

I will be the first year to sit these new exams in 2017 and before summer, we went through the changes for english. What are your opinions? Personally, I think it's going to be very hard work.
Reply 1
What are the changes? I've heard that they're changing but I'm not aware of the actual changes.
Original post by Edosawr
What are the changes? I've heard that they're changing but I'm not aware of the actual changes.

PowerPoint on changes to GCSE English : http://www.letsthinkinenglish.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Preparing-for-the-changes-in-GCSE-English2.pdf

PDF Changes to GCSE Maths: http://justmaths.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/GCSE_Maths_2015_Curriculum_Change.pdf
Finally making these somewhat decent.
Reply 4
It's sad about the Maths. I feel for the people that won't have the equations on the front. It wouldn't really affect me since I know them off by heart already, but I still like the comfort of having them there.
Not needed.
Original post by Edosawr

Maths GCSE will involve some A level maths content and the foundation paper will become harder too.

English lit-they are scrapping Omam.
Op, pretty unlucky but if you put your mind to it, you can still do well, listen to your teachers in lessons etc, they should know best.
Well, im also going to be the first year to do the new GCSE and im moving into year 10-im presuming you are too. The new grade system with the numbers 9-1 will be quite confusing as some grades such as C will be between 2 grades which doesnt give it a fixed number. Thankfully, its only maths and english so we dont have to worry about the rest of the subjects. No coursework for english scares me quite abit as your grade will only depend on the end of year 11 exam. So overall , its going to be one hell of a 2 years for us!
Original post by Edosawr
It's sad about the Maths. I feel for the people that won't have the equations on the front. It wouldn't really affect me since I know them off by heart already, but I still like the comfort of having them there.

That's the bit I fear; I struggle to remember the formulas for the common assignments we do in class!
Original post by thefunmaster
Well, im also going to be the first year to do the new GCSE and im moving into year 10-im presuming you are too. The new grade system with the numbers 9-1 will be quite confusing as some grades such as C will be between 2 grades which doesnt give it a fixed number. Thankfully, its only maths and english so we dont have to worry about the rest of the subjects. No coursework for english scares me quite abit as your grade will only depend on the end of year 11 exam. So overall , its going to be one hell of a 2 years for us!

It just gives examiners another 2 grades to be funny with. I.e I wouldn't be surprised if an 9 is full marks in english literature. They seem to just enjoy making our lives harder and they say they want to well educate us but making them harder is going to leave more people failing and struggling. Our teachers have told us to give up any after school clubs ect and I thought they were joking, I don't think they were after considering the changes...
Original post by German123
Maths GCSE will involve some A level maths content and the foundation paper will become harder too.

English lit-they are scrapping Omam.

Ah dammit, I enjoyed Of Mice & Men which we did this year as a mock exam. An A-Level content - I'll organise the party now to celebrate the excellent news.
I like one of the changes though - everyone sits the same exams in English so we have one positive.
Original post by danielwinstanley
Ah dammit, I enjoyed Of Mice & Men which we did this year as a mock exam. An A-Level content - I'll organise the party now to celebrate the excellent news.

I did of mice and men in year 9 too and it carried unto year 10.

Anyway, your teachers should guide you through the new specs and just because things are changing, it does not mean you can't revise and prepare yourself for GCSEs, some stuff in maths will be the same.
Original post by German123
I did of mice and men in year 9 too and it carried unto year 10.

Anyway, your teachers should guide you through the new specs and just because things are changing, it does not mean you can't revise and prepare yourself for GCSEs, some stuff in maths will be the same.

SOME yes; not all. It seems like a huge rehaul and it isn't needed.
Original post by danielwinstanley
SOME yes; not all. It seems like a huge rehaul and it isn't needed.

Completely agree and good luck with them.:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest