Original post by picklescamp
:five: can we be rationalist friends pls :lol:

Yes! Gladly :smile:
Reply 9
Reason is a product of experience :u:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
both - I'm an empiricist because I'm a rationalist
Both. Reason is sufficient with regards to subjects that do not talk explictly about properties of the world themselves such as mathematics, logic and ethics as well as the axioms of physics and economics (are there are other subjects that are reliant on axioms that are not derived from elsewhere? Not sure). Everything else I'm an empiricist towards.
Original post by Kadak
Yes please.

Ok, so rationalists believe that all we can know is based on tautologies; things that are by definition true (inconceivably false and cannot be denied without contradiction)- so for example you couldn't say maths (2+2=4) is false; you couldn't deny that without it leading to a logical contradiction- so we can safely know that 2+2=4 and can base our knowledge on this.

empiricists think that what we can see and hear and touch and taste is what is really there, and that our perceptions are accurate reflections of it. Truth, for an empiricist, is based on evidence. We come into the world as mental blank slates and experience builds on this to help form knowledge- so we cannot empirically experience God so therefore God is a meaningless concept (as is causation and the self). So we can only build knowledge on what we experience with our senses.
Hope this is ok, I'm out of practice and ad libbed a bit..

Original post by Emilia1320
Yes! Gladly :smile:

:woo:

Original post by RobML
Reason is a product of experience :u:

Posted from TSR Mobile

you think? How then would you respond to Plato's slave boy experiment which would suggest it's innate?
Original post by flamboy
both - I'm an empiricist because I'm a rationalist

Original post by TorpidPhil
Both. Reason is sufficient with regards to subjects that do not talk explictly about properties of the world themselves such as mathematics, logic and ethics as well as the axioms of physics and economics (are there are other subjects that are reliant on axioms that are not derived from elsewhere? Not sure). Everything else I'm an empiricist towards.

I think that's fair :smile: Rationalism is often incorrectly contrasted with empiricism. Taken very broadly these views are not mutually exclusive, since a philosopher can be both rationalist and empiricist. However I'd say I'm a hyper-rationalist, and my views do clash somewhat with empiricism...
Reply 14

you think? How then would you respond to Plato's slave boy experiment which would suggest it's innate?

Can you remind me of the what that is? :mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
Can you remind me of the what that is? :mmm:Posted from TSR Mobile

sure :smile:
(this is copied and pasted btw- my mathematical language isn't up to scratch)

'To show what he means, Socrates calls over one of Meno’s slave boys, draws a square with sides of two feet, and asks the boy to calculate how long the side of a square would be if it had twice the area of the one he just drew. The boy suggests four feet and then three feet, and Socrates proves him wrong both times. Socrates then helps the boy recognize that a square of twice the area would have sides with a length equal to the diagonal of the present square—but Socrates leads the boy to this point without actually explaining anything, instead forcing the boy to think the problem through himself. Since the boy reached this conclusion (more or less) on his own without any direct teaching, he must have been recollecting something he already knew.'

Plato uses this to argue that reason (or at least mathematical reason) is innate
sure :smile:
(this is copied and pasted btw- my mathematical language isn't up to scratch)

'To show what he means, Socrates calls over one of Meno’s slave boys, draws a square with sides of two feet, and asks the boy to calculate how long the side of a square would be if it had twice the area of the one he just drew. The boy suggests four feet and then three feet, and Socrates proves him wrong both times. Socrates then helps the boy recognize that a square of twice the area would have sides with a length equal to the diagonal of the present square—but Socrates leads the boy to this point without actually explaining anything, instead forcing the boy to think the problem through himself. Since the boy reached this conclusion (more or less) on his own without any direct teaching, he must have been recollecting something he already knew.'

Plato uses this to argue that reason (or at least mathematical reason) is innate

The boy worked it out because he had visualized the problem (using his senses) and then made a deduction so surely that's both.
Reply 17

I'm of the opinion that reason is learned :dontknow:
With maths, we observe quantity in the world (as if it is a vast and complex abacus) and build an intuition of it.
Just to illustrate what I think, imagine someone who's been fully comatose since their conception but suddenly comes around to consciousness one day. I'd say that all sensual input would be a indecipherable white noise, but as time passes they'd gradually begin to pick out patterns and begin to make sense of all that noise, to the point they build an intuitive understanding of things and the relationships between them. Kind of like new born babies can make little sense of their vision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GrimSower
The boy worked it out because he had visualized the problem (using his senses) and then made a deduction so surely that's both.

Hmm, yes I suppose he did see it with his senses. But as far as I see it he used pure innate mathematical reason to work the answer out.
Original post by RobML
I'm of the opinion that reason is learned :dontknow:
With maths, we observe quantity in the world (as if it is a vast and complex abacus) and build an intuition of it.
Just to illustrate what I think, imagine someone who's been fully comatose since their conception but suddenly comes around to consciousness one day. I'd say that all sensual input would be a indecipherable white noise, but as time passes they'd gradually begin to pick out patterns and begin to make sense of all that noise, to the point they build an intuitive understanding of things and the relationships between them. Kind of like new born babies can make little sense of their vision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you agree with Kant's innate framework? I think it's the main reason why I could never agree that reason is learned. If we didn't have any innate reason or way to interpret or decipher what our senses tell us the world would be a confusing mess. So we at least need some innate reason, no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending