The Student Room Group

ahah.. help.. medicine or engineering?

thank you :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
You should be able to change your options if you are within 14 days of submission of your application. You can change what universities your applying to and what courses you are applying to...

Consult this with your college if you are still within the 14 days of your welcome email (email that you get after you submit your application).

If you get to choose again be very careful. Don't waste this opportunity. Good luck!
Original post by rosetteokbokki
this is more of a vent rather than advice but advice is helpful too! maybe harsh advice to really get my thoughts together.

but since i was a kid my dad has drilled into me that being a doctor is the be all end all. over time it was more lenient to being a doctor or an engineer since i said i preferred maths over science but he still wanted me to be a doctor since it's more 'stable' - i don't think it is. so in order to appease him, over time i've developed a love for becoming a surgeon and that is my driving motivation to go through medicine. i don't mind studying, i quite like studying and working. but i really do love maths, but not the mechanics / physics side of it.. hence the problem with engineering for me. nowadays after my dad got more educated over medicine courses and being a doctor, he's changed his mind completely and would rather i either go into radiology / radiography - i forgot which one it was woops - or drum roll.. an engineer since to him it's more stable and pays better.

i understand that it's less taxing money wise and i feel my parents want to save money instead of wasting over £50000 for me to go university and not get a job after that, but i feel like i've built my life around getting into medicine and forcing myself to like science even a little so i could try to get into medicine. my application has been sent for medicine universities (foundation years sigh) so i think i have a high chance of going on a gap year.

i feel like he's been a bit insensitive with his opinions... all the hard work and effort i went through and the fact i had to lie a little on my personal statement about my motivation for medicine - the university course my dad has been drilling into my head since day 1 - all to say 'oh actually, i think engineering is better for you, don't go into medicine you won't get a job' and he even said to lie on my cv when applying for apprenticeships. don't get me wrong, i quite like the idea of having an office job but engineering.. there's no spark in it for me. i'd much prefer finance since that's mainly maths related and less physics (gosh i hate physics lmao)

i'm just clueless as of now :smile: maybe i shouldn't go into medicine, the apprenticeship atleast im earning money not wasting it but i just don't know. i need to clear my head but worries keep pouring in that i've wasted my life (im currently in year 13 btw mwah)

thanks pookies

Engineering definitely doesn't sound right for you, at all. Why do not something maths and finance related at university?
Original post by rosetteokbokki
this is more of a vent rather than advice but advice is helpful too! maybe harsh advice to really get my thoughts together.

but since i was a kid my dad has drilled into me that being a doctor is the be all end all. over time it was more lenient to being a doctor or an engineer since i said i preferred maths over science but he still wanted me to be a doctor since it's more 'stable' - i don't think it is. so in order to appease him, over time i've developed a love for becoming a surgeon and that is my driving motivation to go through medicine. i don't mind studying, i quite like studying and working. but i really do love maths, but not the mechanics / physics side of it.. hence the problem with engineering for me. nowadays after my dad got more educated over medicine courses and being a doctor, he's changed his mind completely and would rather i either go into radiology / radiography - i forgot which one it was woops - or drum roll.. an engineer since to him it's more stable and pays better.

i understand that it's less taxing money wise and i feel my parents want to save money instead of wasting over £50000 for me to go university and not get a job after that, but i feel like i've built my life around getting into medicine and forcing myself to like science even a little so i could try to get into medicine. my application has been sent for medicine universities (foundation years sigh) so i think i have a high chance of going on a gap year.

i feel like he's been a bit insensitive with his opinions... all the hard work and effort i went through and the fact i had to lie a little on my personal statement about my motivation for medicine - the university course my dad has been drilling into my head since day 1 - all to say 'oh actually, i think engineering is better for you, don't go into medicine you won't get a job' and he even said to lie on my cv when applying for apprenticeships. don't get me wrong, i quite like the idea of having an office job but engineering.. there's no spark in it for me. i'd much prefer finance since that's mainly maths related and less physics (gosh i hate physics lmao)

i'm just clueless as of now :smile: maybe i shouldn't go into medicine, the apprenticeship atleast im earning money not wasting it but i just don't know. i need to clear my head but worries keep pouring in that i've wasted my life (im currently in year 13 btw mwah)

thanks pookies

@rosetteokbokki

It's great that you want to respect your parents and that you listen to their advice, but I don't think it's wise for you to let your parents choose your career path without having any say. I think the danger is that you find yourself blaming your parents for an unhappy time or wasted time at university or regretting that you did not have the courage to voice your opinion when you could.

It's great to have a job that pays well, but remember that most people spend the majority of their lives at work. If you are miserable at work, even if you are getting paid well, it doesn't necessarily compensate for all the time you have to spend at work/doing your job. Looking for the career that's going to pay you most instead of looking at the career that is best suited to your skills and interests, may not make you happy in the long run.

Engineering or medicine will pay for itself eventually so that isn't a problem. It's having the motivation to get through the course and then to pursue a career. If you want to do finance, you could become an accountant another stable job– then you can, but I think you need to learn to be honest with your dad.

I think if you don't learn how to communicate/be honest with your dad now and to say what you would like to do, then you run the risk of spending the next how many years just doing what your dad wants you to do, instead of learning to make your own decisions. It's good to ask for advice, but it's not wise to simply live the life that your dad wants to create for you, rather than listening to your own intuition. By all means you can try and find some middle ground, but remember you do have a choice in what you study.

Hope that helps,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending