The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lisa-Marie1995
Hi, it's nice to know that there's someone who's interested in the same course . What made you want to apply for that combination? (I've never met anyone who wanted to study both languages )

What's your main interest in Hebrew?

Basically, I've studied French since I was about 10 and it has always been my favourite language; I dream of becoming fluent, and carrying it on to degree level seems like the best way to do this. Also, the added exposure to literature and culture that you get by completing a degree cannot compare in my eyes to the linguistic ability I would obtain if I simply carried on informally learning French in my free time, so French was my obvious course choice.

However, I wanted to expand my horizons a little by learning a new language ab initio, and when I considered all of my options, Hebrew seemed like the best choice for me. I wanted to take on the challenge of a non-european language for a start, and do something a little different. But by studying Hebrew I can also maintain a variety of my interests. For a while, I contemplated taking Theology, and therefore the option to do Biblical Hebrew as part of this course really appealed to me. I'm also really interested in conflict geography and international relations, and the opportunity to look at the Palestinian conflict in detail as part of the course sounded really interesting. Finally, as a Christian, I can't deny that the idea of spending a year in Israel really speaks to me. I've never had the opportunity to go before and everything I have seen or read, makes me think that I would love it.

Sorry, I realise that this is a huge splurge of information, I got a little carried away..
What about you? Why are you combining the two? :smile:
Original post by buzzfeed23
Hi,

If I'm predicted 2 A*s and 2 As can I still apply to medicine at University College Oxford? Surely I would be ranked lower on this than everyone else applying, who might be predicted much higher??

I got 4 As (none taken early or anything) and 10 A*s at GCSE (lots of people from my school got this though so my results aren't really that special!!)

Congratulations on your results :smile:

That is an excellent set of predictions: you have as much chance as anyone, though Oxford Medicine is exceptionally competitive. Take a look at these statistics:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Original post by resistingdestiny
I'm applying for Arabic and Islamic Studies at St Johns.
GCSE's: 7 A*s, 3 As, 1 B
AS: AAAA

So worried about the OLAT though, it looks really hard

It's meant to be tricky, don't worry too much :smile:
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
x

Hi, I am wanting to apply to read Chemistry at Brasenose college. How detrimental will my unexpected B grade in Biology be to my chance of getting in? I got AAAB overall, with the As being in Chemistry, Maths and French. I got 9A*s 2As and 1 B at GCSE. Also if I am given an A*AA prediction, would it be possible to obtain an A*A*A offer regardless?
Original post by Azzer11
Hi, I am wanting to apply to read Chemistry at Brasenose college. How detrimental will my unexpected B grade in Biology be to my chance of getting in? I got AAAB overall, with the As being in Chemistry, Maths and French. I got 9A*s 2As and 1 B at GCSE. Also if I am given an A*AA prediction, would it be possible to obtain an A*A*A offer regardless?

Well done on your AS results. AS do not influence the outcome greatly. The key thing is the A2 prediction. Applicants MUST be predicted A*A*A
(edited 8 years ago)
Well done on your AS results. Unless cashed in AS do not influence the outcome. The key thing is the A2 prediction. Applicants MUST be predicted A*A*A

Does Oxford care about General Studies or Critical Thinking? I took both of these ontop of my 4 options gaining an A and B respectively. Will that affect anything considering i got 4As (but will not be certificated until A2)?

Edit: Critical thinking is the only one cashed in as the syllabus is being discontinued.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LoveToArgue
I'm sorry if something like this has been asked before, but could a good performance at AS and GCSE make up for a less good/poor LNAT score?

Not for a poor LNAT
Original post by DCDude
Not for a poor LNAT

Not necessarily bad, just about average
I've posted before but it was ages ago and, hey, I have AS results to put in, why not :biggrin:

GCSEs: 9A* 2A 1B
ASs: AAAA in English Lit, History, Philosophy and Economics
A Levels: English, History and Philosophy - dropping Econ. No predicted grades yet!!
Course: History
College: Balliol

Hope everyone got what they wanted today! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifescomplexity
I've posted before but it was ages ago and, hey, I have AS results to put in, why not :biggrin:

GCSEs: 9A* 2A 1B
ASs: AAAA in English Lit, History, Philosophy and Economics
A Levels: English, History and Philosophy - dropping Econ. No predicted grades yet!!
Course: History
College: Balliol

Hope everyone got what they wanted today! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3504027
GCSE grades: 1A^ 1A* 3A 3B 2C + Merit in OCR First ICT
A-Levels: 4A at AS, A2 Unknown hopefully A*A*AA
Course: Maths and Computer Science
College: Keble
Original post by Eux
Does Oxford care about General Studies or Critical Thinking? I took both of these ontop of my 4 options gaining an A and B respectively. Will that affect anything considering i got 4As (but will not be certificated until A2)?

Edit: Critical thinking is the only one cashed in as the syllabus is being discontinued.

GS & CT do not influence decisions because not all schools offer them. Any benefit is indirect - ie study for them may strengthen thinking skills.
Hi I am looking to apply to Biochemistry next year but am wondering whether it is worth putting down Oxford as an option; I would want to have a good chance of getting an interview.

I have 5*s and 7As at GCSE, and recently got my AS's which were: A in geog, A in bio, B in chem and B in maths (will retake one chem and one maths exam as was close to the A boundaries in both). I am likely to be predicted A*A*AA for my A2s. I also have relevant work experience at UCL and did a taster day at Cambridge.

I know it's impossible to predict whether I would get an interview but I would just like to hear some people's honest opinions on it.

Cheers
Original post by cherrycola98
GCSE grades: 12A* 2A
A-Levels: French, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology (AS)
Course: French
College: Not sure yet, maybe Wadham or Oriel??

You do realise that Wadham and Oriel is a strange choice, they are very very different.
GS & CT do not influence decisions because not all schools offer them. Any benefit is indirect - ie study for them may strengthen thinking skills.

Is it possible to get cashed-in grades remarked? I was unaware that this would be happening, I would like to remark my exam module to strengthen my overall grade.

If this proves impossible, will this greatly inhibit my chances of gaining a place at Oxford?
Hi everyone,
I got 4 As at AS and 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, how should I go about getting an interview at Oxford to study English? Because some have told me that interviews are given randomly, so I've no idea what to do to secure one.
Thanks!
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Is it possible to get cashed-in grades remarked? I was unaware that this would be happening, I would like to remark my exam module to strengthen my overall grade.

If this proves impossible, will this greatly inhibit my chances of gaining a place at Oxford?

The exam boards have a narrow window for re-marks and in the vast majority of cases the marks are unaffected. We suggest that you consult your school about this.
Original post by r055grn
Hi I am looking to apply to Biochemistry next year but am wondering whether it is worth putting down Oxford as an option; I would want to have a good chance of getting an interview.

I have 5*s and 7As at GCSE, and recently got my AS's which were: A in geog, A in bio, B in chem and B in maths (will retake one chem and one maths exam as was close to the A boundaries in both). I am likely to be predicted A*A*AA for my A2s. I also have relevant work experience at UCL and did a taster day at Cambridge.

I know it's impossible to predict whether I would get an interview but I would just like to hear some people's honest opinions on it.

Cheers

Biochem intervew most of their applicants and your grades are very good - so its worth a shot :smile:

Your chances of an offer would depend on your interview, and the worst that can happen is they say no and you go to another great university!
Original post by claudiar99
Hi everyone,
I got 4 As at AS and 7 A* 3 A at GCSE, how should I go about getting an interview at Oxford to study English? Because some have told me that interviews are given randomly, so I've no idea what to do to secure one.
Thanks!

Not random at all!

You apply through UCAS the same as with every other university. But you have to meet the earlier Oxbridge deadline in October rather than January.

Then you sit the ELAT (English Literature Admissions Test) in November. Take a look here - http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/elat/preparing-for-elat/

After this, Oxford will send out invitations to interview - which happen in December. Then decisions on whether you get an offer or not go out in January.

Your grades are very good, so with a good personal statement and ELAT you stand a chance at getting an interview - your chances of getting an offer would then depend on your interview :smile:
Original post by Marakh
You do realise that Wadham and Oriel is a strange choice, they are very very different.

Describing somebody's choices as 'strange' isn't particularly constructive or helpful. Saying they are different is quite obvious as all colleges are, if you feel you have information about the differences in colleges that would be useful to candidates, then post it.

Latest

Trending

Trending