The Student Room Group

How can I know if ai'm good enough for A level maths?

Hi all, trying to decide on my a levels here (still!)

I'm not very confident in maths, my mental arithmetic is ok not fab, I love my calculator haha
For GCSE I got an A* in maths which I am very chuffed with
I went from having no confidence at all to a little, my teacher said my progress is some of the best he has ever seen
I just don't trust that I'm good enough to do it

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jackmolineux

I'm not very confident in maths, my mental arithmetic is ok not fab, I love my calculator haha
I went from having no confidence at all to a little, my teacher said my progress is some of the best he has ever seen

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No-one can really tell you the real answer that but if what your saying is true then it was more than likely a fluke and maybe maths isn't for you.

Despite this, you may as well give it a go and drop it if it is to hard?
Original post by jackmolineux

What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it! I'm a 3rd year maths student got A* in Maths and FM (and in GCSE maths) but I still suck at mental maths, only know the first 3 digits of pi. 9 times out of 10, If you ask me to do some mental maths I'll get it wrong. I still do subtraction, multiplication e.t.c. on paper in my exams using primary school methods xD. So, yeah, how good you are at mental maths isn't a measure of how good you will be at A-level maths.
I have friends who also got A* at GCSE and are good at mental maths, but didn't do well during A-levels.

If you like maths, then it reason enough to take it. If you enjoy it you will probably be willing to work hard in it and do well. Also be confident, maths is about being confidence in some ways. Since you're either write or wrong, don't be afraid to be wrong, its how you learn. Be confident in what you're doing if it's making some sense to you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the replies so far, I might add, I did quite a bit of revision for maths gcse and I actually started to like the stuff by the end! I got an A* in all my maths related subjects actually (chem,phys and econ)
So maybe I'm not as bad as I think and it's some sort of mental thing?

I enjoy physics maths, like the equations and finding things so I might like mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest